The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’ve’been (forced) lol into redoing this 2005 Elise, the original color is chrome orange. these guys have done an amazing job on the body work and have went way further than I expected, they have offered me to pick any color I want, I’m a huge fan of the orange, just wanted everyone’s opinion, as a lotus owner, or even on the buyers side, keep the orange or custom color?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I tried going with CO and hated it. The shop didn't know what they were doing and picked the wrong primer. Ask your shop what color of primer is needed - if they say anything other than white/light gray, they are wrong and off to a bad start. CO is translucent, so the primer color, base yellow, and number of orange layers all tweak the outcome, so you will not match an OEM CO unless they know all of these. Even then, it is a finnicky paint to get consistent - Lotus couldn't even do it.

I've now stripped all the old paint (since they didn't even do that the first time) and will be going opaque. Kawasaki Green, to be specific.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thank you for the input, they currently sprayed 3 different layouts and absolutely nailed the color He said he used a beige primer but had to use a white sealer for best results, butttttt lol he also sprayed a chrome to blueish turquoise chameleon and I really love this color just don’t wanna hurt the value of the car

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Awesome thank you for the input, they currently sprayed 3 different layouts and absolutely nailed the color He said he used a beige primer but had to use a white sealer for best results, butttttt lol he also sprayed a chrome to blueish turquoise chameleon and I really love this color just don’t wanna hurt the value of the car
Mine looked perfect, too, until I parked it next to a factory one in bright sunlight. It also needed a metric sh!t-ton of wax or else it fell flat. When I picked it up fresh though in the shop, I couldn't tell any of these. Since then (5 or 6 years), I've only come across one shop that could do it perfectly. I've just decided on the DIY route since prep and care are harder to find than talent.

It sounds like he has a good eye since the white sealer should do the trick.

Personally, chameleon colors are too early 2000's, but if you think you can live with it (and the responses you'll surely get from others) then, in the end, it is your car. I do like the "flop" you get in CO and other metallics though. They really show off the curves well without being as in-your-face as a chameleon. .

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Good paint or bad paint, good shop or bad shop you cannot compare your experience with others

I would stay with factory color, especially if you like it, and CO is a pretty popular color

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Once you start going custom color, you will hurt the resale value and be left with a smaller group of buyers. If that matters or not is up to you. Of course staying OEM is the way to go if you do plan to sell. But if you thinking your keeping it till the end, go for what you like. Myself, as a buyer, I would probably stay away from custom color lotus TBH. Nothing could be wrong, but I guess I prefer to know firsthand everything was done right. Hearing it from the seller might not be good enough for me. How about paint it the OE CO and than wrap to what you like? I've seen sooo many good wraps other members posted.

Reactions: Rasmutant

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Good paint or bad paint, good shop or bad shop you cannot compare your experience with others
Who peed in your cheerios this morning? It was a word of caution. If you get a good paint guy to look at an OE CO, he'll be able to point out where even Lotus did not match all the panels well. That's just an accepted risk when going with a multi-stage paint that many people don't realize.

I also said that it seems his paint guy IS better than the several I have had the displeasure of working with, which should have been read as indicative of support for CO.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Hey guys I’ve’been (forced) lol into redoing this 2005 Elise, the original color is chrome orange. these guys have done an amazing job on the body work and have went way further than I expected, they have offered me to pick any color I want, I’m a huge fan of the orange, just wanted everyone’s opinion, as a lotus owner, or even on the buyers side, keep the orange or custom color?
Laguna Seca Blue!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm a big fan of Tesla's Midnight Silver Metallic but then again that's just me... ;)
Oh I love that! Looks like GG but slightly darker. Looks like someone got rid of those nasty front clam lines too! :)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If I could to a color other than mine (Saffron Yellow) I'd pick Krypton Green or CO

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
811 Posts
On my short list were Magnetic Blue, Krypton Green, Aubergine Purple, Chrome Orange, and the two yellows. I ended up with Saffron Yellow. Although it's a little more expensive to do, the sparkle layer that makes Solar Yellow out of Saffron Yellow is very eye catching and worth the trouble, imo.

Colors I specifically didn't consider: Black (one black car in the south is enough, thanks), LRG/BRG, red, white, gray, silver. These were mostly because I don't find the reds orange enough (I happen to prefer the orangest firenza reds on Ferraris), and because I wanted a bright, eye catching color to avoid being run over by preoccupied SUV-driving mommies staring at their phones.

My Elise is my third yellow car. It's obviously become a trend for me. It has been almost a year, and I still sometimes grin and ask who parked this bright yellow exotic sports car in my driveway when I step out to it. The fact that it looks a little more related to my favorite 246 Dino in this color doesn't hurt either.

BTW, I'm sure that a white primer coat is required for the yellows, and maybe for KG as well.

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
I say paint it whatever makes you happy if your not flipping the car. Custom paint job coming soon on my Exige build.

Reactions: rb26dett

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone for all your input , u guys kinda made it harder lol really appreciate it tho, I have about a week to decide so I’ll look at all the colors you guys posted thanks again I’ll post pics soon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I agree the front and rear clam lines are kinda pointless, in my opinion, so is it ok to get rid of them or does this break the border of custom/original

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
So I agree the front and rear clam lines are kinda pointless, in my opinion, so is it ok to get rid of them or does this break the border of custom/original
The front clam line is Elise specific, and not desirable IMHO. I'm not sure what rear clam line you are referring to, but I have an Exige, so maybe I'm missing something.

San

1 - 20 of 23 Posts