The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. We are building a Lotus Elise turbo for one of our customers and thought you guys would be interested in the build information and photos. I will do my best to go through all of the details, please feel free to ask any questions.

The build details
* PIP Standalone ECU
* 700cc injectors
* Upgraded fuel pump
* Precision billet 5558 turbo
* V-band inlet / V-band outlet turbine housing
* Custom built manifold with long collector and equal length runners for optimal flow
* Precision 46mm vband wastegate
* 2" stainless screamer pipe
* Custom 3" stainless exhaust
* Custom intake
* Custom air/air intercooler setup
* Custom IC piping

Manifold is being built the way we usually do all of our turbo manifolds. 1/2" thick head flange. Schedule 40 stainless steel (very thick wall) runners. All tig welded and packpurged.

Here are some photos of the progress so far. I'll post some more photos as things progress. I hope you guys enjoy seeing this build as much as we do.

Cheers!
Baktash

Here are the photos:

The start of the manifold build:

2 of the runners mocked up. This will be a very nice setup once complete:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
is this a dbw car? Or throttle cable? Year of the car? Looks sweet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the things I'd be worried about is melting the shift cables. I've seen it happen before. But good luck! Looking forward to see how things turn out!
The shift cables are nowhere near the hot side of the turbo. We have built many setups much tighter than this. They'll be 100% ok.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The manifold layout and mockup is complete.

Next steps:

* We remove each runner and weld it up end to end individually
* Each runner then gets put through a heat/cool cycle to allow it to settle
* The runners are welded to the collector and head flange one by one
* The entire assembly is put through another heat/cool cycle to allow it to settle
* Then the final section of the manifold that goes from the collector to the turbo flange is welded on, and again put through a heat/cool cycle
* Head flange gets planed perfectly flat and everything is test fitted once again
* Then we cut a very particular shaped hole into the manifold for the wastegate pipe
* Wastegate piping gets shaped and welded onto the manifold

And that will complete the manifold. After that comes downpipe, exhaust, wastegate exit tube, intercooler kit, and then finally the turbo intake piping. More photos coming as things progress. Here are a few photos of the final manifold layout.

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Turbo build

Nice build and a very nice exhaust manifold.

I like Burns Stainless turbo collectors. I think they are worth a few hp, otherwise I would not spend the $$ :)

An alternate approach to turbo exhaust is strong and light like 321 or Inconel with slip joints for expansion. This results in lighter and stronger product for a little more $$, again.

I have abused 16 gauge 321 in previous builds. It just does not break.

My current turbo manifold is .028 Inconel. It is hard to cut and the welding rod is hard to find. It is becoming more popular, as its strenght at high temperature allows for a lighter part then Titanium.

Anton

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice build and a very nice exhaust manifold.

I like Burns Stainless turbo collectors. I think they are worth a few hp, otherwise I would not spend the $$ :)

An alternate approach to turbo exhaust is strong and light like 321 or Inconel with slip joints for expansion. This results in lighter and stronger product for a little more $$, again.

I have abused 16 gauge 321 in previous builds. It just does not break.

My current turbo manifold is .028 Inconel. It is hard to cut and the welding rod is hard to find. It is becoming more popular, as its strenght at high temperature allows for a lighter part then Titanium.

Anton
We have built manifolds out of 304, 316, 321, inconel. We never cut corners in any of our builds, every build we do is top notch. Each build is put together with each customer's budget in mind. I'm not a fan of the burns collectors. We like to build our own collectors for each individual application. That way we can build the best possible collector for the space and geometry we are working with.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Double nod to Lotus90. With good intercooling, you might get away with 9 pounds of boost with stock pistons. To chase big HP you will need to drop in lower compression pistons. While you have the heads pulled, valves and pistons would be a very wise step to protect your investment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just added to the modification list for this build, Quaife LSD.

Are you going to upgrade the pistons and valves? what boost are you planning to run?
For now the goal is maximum safe power on the factory unopened longblock. We will tackle more power and engine internal upgrades at a later date if the client wishes to go further.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Very nice looking manifold! I'm sure you already know this but be sure to brace it well. 5558 is a pretty good choice on a turbo. Maybe a little big for the stock engine, but gives some room to grow.

My only other comment is that I am not a huge fan of air/air setups in the Elise. Just no good way to really get the airflow you need to make an air/air setup effective. For low PR / power it may be okay but for higher PR and power you will want to consider a nice air/water setup with some exchangers up front.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks like a nice setup. I wouldn't bother with a standalone. Obviously I've got a hand in this given that I have a reflash for turbo cars but standalones are so expensive and require so much work. Of hundreds of standalones over the years I've only seen a few that start and run like OEM and I've never seen on that would pass an emissions test. The downside of using OEM that is obviously that you have to do a good job of designing the intake/MAF tract and you normally have to recirculate the BOV. That said, the client generally goes home happier with $3-$4k more in his pocket when sticking with OE ECUs.

From experience the 5558 is going to give you some definite lag on that setup. I have a soft spot for the Garret GTX2867R with Tial housings if you want good output without as much lag. It really is too bad that precision didn't give out compressor charts for their turbos.

-Michael

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
The quick and dirty way to get a water/air system would be to purchase the Rev310 upgrade kit (the kit assumes you already have an MP62), add a BOV after the Turbo and pipe your turbo outlet into the Rev310 kit's inlet side. It may not be cost effective for you, but includes most of the part you will need.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.