The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

This thread will hurt a little bit since it's about something I did and now regret. Please save the shaming. While I might have not been nearly the most meticulous person, I've taken good care of this car, with the exception of this, which turns out I have had patience for. Lesson learned.

I removed the cracked plastic door pulls and while doing so committed myself to take off as much glue/sealant as possible. While doing this, I did dig into the paint quite some with an exacto knife. (insert cringe). The only good thing about this is that the shaves are underneath the plastic cover so it's not visible.

Have any of you gone through this? I know it's hard to admit but I know there has to be somebody out there. If so, what have you done if anything? I hate the feeling of marring my baby.

Car has 25,800 miles with an awesome Katana 2 Supercharger, Track Hawk discs and rotors and Larini 8" exhaust.

Thank you,
Luis

Reactions: chuparkoff

·
Registered
2005 111R (Elise)
138 Posts
Hello guys,

This thread will hurt a little bit since it's about something I did and now regret. Please save the shaming. While I might have not been nearly the most meticulous person, I've taken good care of this car, with the exception of this, which turns out I have had patience for. Lesson learned.

I removed the cracked plastic door pulls and while doing so committed myself to take off as much glue/sealant as possible. While doing this, I did dig into the paint quite some with an exacto knife. (insert cringe). The only good thing about this is that the shaves are underneath the plastic cover so it's not visible.

Have any of you gone through this? I know it's hard to admit but I know there has to be somebody out there. If so, what have you done if anything? I hate the feeling of marring my baby.

Car has 25,800 miles with an awesome Katana 2 Supercharger, Track Hawk discs and rotors and Larini 8" exhaust.

View attachment 1261742

Thank you,
Luis
I don’t have a solution to your request but I do like your wheel lifts. Where did you get those?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t have a solution to your request but I do like your wheel lifts. Where did you get those?
Can’t remember where I got them but they are called Rhino Ramps by Blitz. Much easier than having to jack the car.

Reactions: Kubera

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
Short answer to original post, yes, it has happened to several of us. Not visible as you mentioned the paint issue is covered by the new pull.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,138 Posts
Don't worry, your car will forgive you. Get CF door pulls that will never break like the plastic ones and you won't have to deal with broken door pulls again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't worry, your car will forgive you. Get CF door pulls that will never break like the plastic ones and you won't have to deal with broken door pulls again.
Thank you, i already have the plastic ones. Are there any preventative measures that can be taken or they will rot no matter what?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shot answer to original post, yes, it has happened to several of us. Not visible as you mentioned the paint issue is covered by the new pull.
Thank you. Yes, it’s nice that you can’t see it but i might have someone sand and repaint if they come off again.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,138 Posts
The plastic will rot, at a faster rate when exposed to sun light and cold temperatures.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
i might have someone sand and repaint if they come off again.
Why? And this is coming from a guy who stripped paint off of every single surface when repainting his car, visible or not. I get the idea of knowing it is there, but even a fairly gentle glue that sits long enough will degrade the finish. As far as "knowing it isn't perfect", it will never stay perfect in that place long., even if it is restored prior to reapplying glue.

Regarding life of the part, I had one window leak a bit worse than the other and the handle that rotted the worse coincided with the leaky window. My theory is the handles collect moisture, and this is what leads to the rot. If that's the case, a drain hole at the lowest point could buy you some time. Given your miles, my theory would be amended to say your handle has collected condensation in your case.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
We all have had those D'OH moments! Been there, done that. Maybe not exactly with this same exact scenario, but many times with different things. The great thing with yours it's still is covered and hidden. It'll be fresh on your mind for now, but it will pass eventually.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts