The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
lotus elise/exige airbag cut off group buy

I was not sure the best place to put this, but ill start here ( move if needed ).

In the interest of people that want a cut off option for passenger airbags, we now have an option. We need two things, one: what is mentioned in the AOI response below. and Two a head count. The more buys means the lower price, so somehow we need to get a show of hands. BTW: I know about Dave and the fact this was done before but he is MIA.

I was able to contact AOI and this is his response. Has anyone done this?

-----------------------------------------------------
NHTSA (national highway and traffic safety administration) recommends people to complete a “request letter” and submit to their office prior to installing any airbag on/off switch in their vehicle.

NHTSA list 4 categories in which people are able to get “approval letters” for turning off their airbags via on/off switch.

1. If you have to transport infant in front seat of vehicle that does not have rear seat

2. If you have to transport child b/w ages 1 and 12 in front seat of vehicle that doesn’t have rear seat

3. If the driver of the vehicle is unable to keep themselves a minimum of 10 inches away from the airbag

4. If people have a special medical condition where the airbag is turned “on” poses a greater risk than having the airbag turned “off”.

Before we could sell a switch we need to make certain that an approval letter is obtained from NHTSA based on one of the above conditions. I’ve had people obtain an approval letter for the on/off switch for their Mazda Miata’s, Honda S2000, Corvettes, (Lotus?, so I thought) and Jeep Wranglers, etc…

Once you had a NHTSA approval letter, I might be able to sell you a switch to see if it works in your vehicle. If it works in your vehicle, that could be your “drop in” solution for your Lotus Community…

-----------------------------------------------------
request form here, this will save your ars if there is an accident. I encourage anyone to do this that has a cut off switch.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided against the switch, and found out its not required just strongly suggested. For anyone wanting to do this, contact Aaron.

[email protected]

He just need the approval letter to start on a batch.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i need a switch asap? are you guys still doing a group buy, or where can i get one?

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
i need a switch asap? are you guys still doing a group buy, or where can i get one?
You naughty man, are you trying to drive your little one around town? :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I want to do this. My kids love riding in the car, and it would appear to be safer to allow them to do so without the airbag on.

That said, "age twelve" seems a rather arbitrary cutoff. I'm sure that there's actually a height and/or weight at which the seat belt fits correctly and it becomes safer to leave the bag on. Anyone know what that might be?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.