The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new lotus fan here (welcoming hugs encouraged) :D. I just saw it once couple days ago and briefly spoken to the owner. All I can say this was an instant crush, visual perfection is just stunning. All I do for last couple days is thinking about financial maneuvering and buying one. I wonder how would Elise perform over 150K miles, what is the maintenance and general performance in the long run?

Also I wonder how cross border purchase works on these vehicles as I am in Canada. I noticed there are some vehicles that are not registerable in Canada, or even in States "track only", what makes them not registerable?

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Well maintained Elise can last over 150k no problem. Can't vouch for the Rover engine but the Toyota engines are pretty solid unless you abuse them daily. Not really my ideal daily driver since AC sucks and not very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ummm...your in washington...lol. Bring your car to Florida then tell me how it feels :p
I drive my Elise every day in Arizona, and the AC is fine. It's really fine as a DD, even with a commute. You will go through a lot of tires (I have R888's) unless you are smart and switch to Hankook RS3's or something with a higher tread wear.
I'd do a couple simple mods like the shifter brace, AC panel delete, and a dual pull out cup holder. If also opt for the Sector 111 bootie for your stuff. I always have the hardtop on, which helps with heat and dust.
But, overall, good gas mileage and easy DD. Oh! People will try to run you over because it's a small car. I got a brake light flasher, and extended view side mirrors to help. Plus, smaller rear view.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I live in FL and hardly ever use the AC ( its really hot now too) but when i do it works fine. I just like the windows down and the top off. Yes it creaks, yes it has random weird issues, and yes its no luxury car. Though with the cars that have these things, they dont have what the Elise offers. This car will keep a smile on your face 100% the time. I DD my car and I get use to the subtleties that some call issues. Most everything can be fixed in some way if you put the research and time in to it. Since its mainly toyota you dont have to worry about over priced parts or thing failing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Daily drive mine in Montreal. (well from April to early december) No big issue to report.
Totally doable but not the most practical.

Cant import Lotus from US to Canada for street use. RIV doesn't allow it.
For track use only, you can import whatever you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you fellas for good info. Links to older threads were particularly useful. So I guess I need a lot more money if I cannot import from states, here in Canada second hand market seems to be rather small, whatever cars I was thinking about buying were already bought from right under my nose. BTW, is there any seasonal fluctuation in price or number of vehicles for sale?

·
Registered
945 Posts
thank you fellas for good info. Links to older threads were particularly useful. So I guess I need a lot more money if I cannot import from states, here in Canada second hand market seems to be rather small, whatever cars I was thinking about buying were already bought from right under my nose. BTW, is there any seasonal fluctuation in price or number of vehicles for sale?
Yes, the typical seasonal fluctuation you see with any sports car - it's difficult to sell one in the winter, and sellers know that, so the ones who try are generally more motivated. You see a glut of both cars for sale and purchases in the spring and summer, generally at higher prices, and then by the end of summer things wind down and the cycle repeats again.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i usually drive my k20 turbod one at least a few times a week. the whole weekend for sure, here in scottsdale with 110* temps

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Some vehicles are not really good daily drivers. Others are great. Lotus is not in the great arena by any means. Can it be done? Yes it can. Are there other cars better suited definitely! I have daily driven a Jeep Wrangler for years and years now. They suck for daily drivers but I do it anyway. But when it came time to replace my last Jeep I still bought another. Its all about personal taste. I tell people that a Jeep is the worst handling and driving vehicle that I LOVE to drive. Its an adventure. So this is the same with many cars. Many people will daily drive a Lotus and be happy with it. I know I could if I so desired.

·
Registered
766 Posts
daily driving the heck out of mine on the freeway everyday! 100+ temps, garbage monsoon season, and every other crap obstacle in the way.

it's scary as hell sometimes and the rock chips and random shi.t in the road gives me heart attacks. I've already got a mini gouged out piece on the front clam!

But goodness do I feel good driving it. It's beautiful...haven't touched my truck or motorcycle in months.....4000 miles in a few months. Holy canoli!

Do it man, but drive safer than you ever have, overly safe.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Do it man, but drive safer than you ever have, overly safe.
small car, hard to see. You must respect this one very important rule.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts