The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a public school teacher in one of the most expensive states to live in, getting an Lotus was a hell of a reach for me, but I pulled it off thanks to additional part time jobs and a loan.

To help recoup the costs and get out of debt quicker (I abhor being in the hole, and hope to move to an Exige within the next few years) I briefly considered putting it on Turo (AirBnB of cars) but after reading horror stories from those who put their cars up on Turo, and also about, and experiencing firsthand how fragile and fickle our Elises are... no way. Everything from not slamming the door to not pulling on the windshield to get out, how to go into reverse, and then seemingly every Elise has it's electrical quirks (I locked myself out within 30 minutes of taking delivery... WITH the key in my hand - Had to call a unlocking service for example). No way. Plus it's a manual.. I cringe at the thought of people abusing the clutch and transmission trying to do burnouts or drifting the car... NO WAY.

I had another idea... What if I offered the car only to other reputable LT forum members? Guys (and gals) who know how to treat a Lotus properly, and will treat the car like they treat their own.

Since Oahu is such a popular travel destination, odds are a few Lt members visit this island every year. Can rent the car from me. Or if a member is in a place that I visit semi-regularly (San Diego) or may visit in the next few years, we can do a straight across trade. For example, I'm headed to Bellevue (near Seattle, WA) for 2 days in July, and headed to West Palm Beach (FL) for a week in July as well.

One possibly sticky catch is... Car is insured by Geico. They keep refusing to do an agreed value insurance policy, won't give me their "classic car policy" because I'm in Hawaii, and they also refuse to give me a ballpark figure for the car's value should it get stolen or totaled. They say they go by KBB, but the car doesn't exist in KBB... I went back and forth with them on this and they would not give me a value no matter how I worded my questions. I suspect they would pay out less than what I feel the car is worth should something happen, so a value agreement would need to be reached before the car is taken out, and the difference between the agreed value and what the insurance pays, assuming the payout is less, needs to be paid promptly should something happen. I think my Elise is worth 30k. Obviously I would agree to such a thing if we were to do a trade and something happened to yours while it was in my possession.

The car is a clean title, repainted to white, mildly modified '05 with about 52k miles. One of those rare cars with a working AC (after 2 months of the dealer on the mainland trying to get it to work, I got frustrated and had it shipped as is, and after some work at my end, and an AC specialty shop working on it, it has a working AC as of yesterday)! Pesky immobilizer has been disabled. Carbon fiber hardtop. No soft top. I suggest keeping it on because the weather here changes quickly and I don't want the interior getting wet, but if the user insists, weather report looks good, and the user has dry, secure parking if keeping the car for multiple days, I can remove it.

Post away, or PM.

-Paul

(pics + high res pics from the mainland before it was shipped, don't have current pics hosted somewhere online, looks the same, just change the background to a tropical background and sandy beaches)

Paul's '05 Elise on Imgur

·
Registered
18 Posts
As a public school teacher in one of the most expensive states to live in, getting an Lotus was a hell of a reach for me, but I pulled it off thanks to additional part time jobs and a loan.

To help recoup the costs and get out of debt quicker (I abhor being in the hole, and hope to move to an Exige within the next few years) I briefly considered putting it on Turo (AirBnB of cars) but after reading horror stories from those who put their cars up on Turo, and also about, and experiencing firsthand how fragile and fickle our Elises are... no way. Everything from not slamming the door to not pulling on the windshield to get out, how to go into reverse, and then seemingly every Elise has it's electrical quirks (I locked myself out within 30 minutes of taking delivery... WITH the key in my hand - Had to call a unlocking service for example). No way. Plus it's a manual.. I cringe at the thought of people abusing the clutch and transmission trying to do burnouts or drifting the car... NO WAY.

I had another idea... What if I offered the car only to other reputable LT forum members? Guys (and gals) who know how to treat a Lotus properly, and will treat the car like they treat their own.

Since Oahu is such a popular travel destination, odds are a few Lt members visit this island every year. Can rent the car from me. Or if a member is in a place that I visit semi-regularly (San Diego) or may visit in the next few years, we can do a straight across trade. For example, I'm headed to Bellevue (near Seattle, WA) for 2 days in July, and headed to West Palm Beach (FL) for a week in July as well.

One possibly sticky catch is... Car is insured by Geico. They keep refusing to do an agreed value insurance policy, won't give me their "classic car policy" because I'm in Hawaii, and they also refuse to give me a ballpark figure for the car's value should it get stolen or totaled. They say they go by KBB, but the car doesn't exist in KBB... I went back and forth with them on this and they would not give me a value no matter how I worded my questions. I suspect they would pay out less than what I feel the car is worth should something happen, so a value agreement would need to be reached before the car is taken out, and the difference between the agreed value and what the insurance pays, assuming the payout is less, needs to be paid promptly should something happen. I think my Elise is worth 30k. Obviously I would agree to such a thing if we were to do a trade and something happened to yours while it was in my possession.

The car is a clean title, repainted to white, mildly modified '05 with about 52k miles. One of those rare cars with a working AC (after 2 months of the dealer on the mainland trying to get it to work, I got frustrated and had it shipped as is, and after some work at my end, and an AC specialty shop working on it, it has a working AC as of yesterday)! Pesky immobilizer has been disabled. Carbon fiber hardtop. No soft top. I suggest keeping it on because the weather here changes quickly and I don't want the interior getting wet, but if the user insists, weather report looks good, and the user has dry, secure parking if keeping the car for multiple days, I can remove it.

Post away, or PM.

-Paul

(pics + high res pics from the mainland before it was shipped, don't have current pics hosted somewhere online, looks the same, just change the background to a tropical background and sandy beaches)

Paul's '05 Elise on Imgur
I like the idea of loaning it to Lotus folks.
Too bad I read this now. I just returned from 8 days in Oahu?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love the Lotus cars and I found a great one. Lotus Elise, but it was a 2009 year edition and It was on the other side of the country. Frankly speaking, I did not even have enough money to buy it, and the car was not in the best condition. But, with all that I decided to buy this car, transport it across the country and restore it by myself. I think this will be a great project. But I needed a lot of money for that, and the best option for this was to have a credit. And I found a great offer from a well known credit company, that will give me all the money I was looking for a short period with a low % to pay. You can find this company following this link https://credit-10.com/nl/persoonlijke-lening/

·
Administrator
Exige S260
1,967 Posts
That was a spammer, banned on the spot. Spammers will try any way to not look like a spammer at first.

·
Premium Member
11,705 Posts
OP sold car. How about closing this??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts