The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Hello guys!
Please bare with me if my questions are idiotic! the only knowledge I have for this car is through reviews and scattered articles around the net!

So.. I am considering buying an Elise S2 as my first sports car (I an trying to find a toyota based one but they seem hard to find:shrug:)! The thing is I cannot afford a new one, so I will probably buy a used one (budget around 14k gbp) and i was wandering if its economically friendly to buy one with many miles (which equals to lower price) and just restore the engine and service the whole thing. One of the reasons i choose the Elise is that a simple car in relation to other cars so I can work on it.

P.S: Also what do you think its best a Rover or a Toyota one? And in the case i manage to find one what can I do later on to improve performance without swaping the engine and still be reliable.

Thank you for taking time answering this!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Hi there and welcome.

Toyota power is best for a whole bunch of reasons. :) Parts are way cheaper and it's easier to work on.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
The Toyota based Lotus is by far superior, but being overseas I believe that you will be faced with finding the Rover based models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys thanks for the swift asnwers :)
I've been all around the net only 1/5 of the cars i found are over the 120 hp mark (which indicates Toyota engine)
Just to clear something out though so to have my facts straight:
rover K series = 120hp
toyoyta ZZ = 130 and upwards

Am i right?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Not sure what they go for over there, but 14k GBP is equivalent to 22k USD. Most of the prices are 5-10k higher than that here in the US so I'm not sure if that will make you search more difficult.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have already found some 01 around the 8-9k mark but they are with K series i believe because i can see that the output they get is 120hp

·
Registered
708 Posts
Look into a swap of either a 2ZZ or a Honda K series or even back to a B18. The Toyota power plant is in the 190 some odd hp. There are a number of turbo'd Hondas that are well over double that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Jack i was thinking about a Duratec 2.0L since it can be matched to the rover gearbox as it is.(thats what i have read got to cross it with a mechanic to be sure)

@onETon mostly newer cars that heavily depend on electronics and more complex technologies. The Elise has no abs or power steering DSG or any of those so i figured out it would be easier and more straight forward to do a fix or do any actual work on the car since its simpler on that matter . Am i mistaken?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Paragon you are correct on the electronics front.

I think onETon is referring to the fact you need elf hands for half the work and something as simple as an air filter is going to take your morning (after practice, you're going to have choice words the first time).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ithurtus haha I get it now but I will try my best, but in a worst case scenario i know one or two skilled people to help me with those things so this is something that does not worry me. My only worry is what to do with the engine even if its K series should i rebuild it or just swap trying to figure out what is the best way to go from there. As i have seen from Essex Mot. Their base kit is around 6k for a K20 and around 4k for a Duratec. Now for the duratec i dont need a gearbox since it fits if just buy the kit but the engine is really expensive. For the K20 the kit is expensive but i can find an engine in a really good price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts