The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go up to Monterey with the guys from EveryDayDriver (Everyday Driver) for a video shoot comparing the Elise with the Scion FR-S and Hyundai Genesis. The shoot was awesome, had a lot of fun, took a lot of pictures and had a blast in the curves. Todd & Paul as well as their crew were really great to work with. :up:

Here's the video:

Need to make the trip again when weather is a bit better and the wife takes her Dramamine rotfl

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
That's a good review, with nice comparison cars for the FR-S/BRZ. We're discussing this on TOF, mainly disagreeing with the Elise seat and daily driver comments but enjoying the review.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good review, with nice comparison cars for the FR-S/BRZ. We're discussing this on TOF, mainly disagreeing with the Elise seat and daily driver comments but enjoying the review.
I saw some comments about the seats on the YT video page as well. I drove up from LA To Carmel/Monterey with these guys for this shoot and it was my longest trip in the Elise. Personally I find the seats *moderately* uncomfortable for a 200+ mile trip. Not like sitting on a bed of nails or a sheet of plywood, but definitely not as comfortable as the FR-S seats either, just kind of "meh" after a while. I think that's where the EDD guys are coming from.

And that's not to say it wouldn't be remedied with some better upholstery, ProBaxx or other aftermarket seats but what's in there leaves a bit to be desired for longer road trips. At least for me anyway.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Seats are kinda personal, especially seats like those in the Elise/Exige. Personally I love the seats, and my wife and I have done numerous 14 hour stints in four different variants of them without issue ('05 cloth, '07 Probax leather, '08 Probax Sport, '09 Sport 260 carbon). Even the slightly narrower and more reclined 260 seats. My wife does like the Probax variants better than the '05s, but I'm happy with either.

Pretty car you have there, by the way.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Oh yeah, I just finished the deal on a BRZ as a foul-weather companion to the Exige this morning, so the timing on this was great for me :).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man :up:

I got to drive the FR-S and Genesis as well and found the FR-S to be pretty damn capable. Steering feel was excellent, the Genesis... lol, not so much.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If I was looking for an inexpensive daily driver, for those trips I don't want to take in the Elise, the BRZ/FRS would be one of my top picks. I only hope they come up with a decent forced induction option for the car. After driving a supercharged Elise, I think the NA BRZ/FRS would leave me feeling flat.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Josh - how do you feel about the power? I know that's the knock on the BRZ/FRS - I believe the 0-60 performance is pretty anemic. That being said, there will be TONS of tunes and aftermarket stuff available for these cars.

I can tell it's going to be an 'enthusiasts' car - at the Brian Redman weekend at Road America, I saw at least 10 parked in the lots - mostly the Subaru (not the Scion).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
IMO, I don't think the Lotus should be compared to either of those cars. Not that I think the Elise is some exotic top-tier machine, I just think it's the kind of car that is geared toward an entirely different market and for a completely different purpose. People (18-30 year old males) that are shopping for something like the FR-S/BRZ or Genesis aren't the same group of people that are shopping for a Lotus. I know a used Elise is in that same price range, but it just isn't the kind of car that comes to mind when shopping for a low-mid range budget all while considering maintenance and insurance costs.

I agree with their review when they say things like "not a daily driver" or "the seats are terribly uncomfortable"... but that is something that an average Lotus owner wouldn't even consider. We buy these cars because it's the closest we can get to a completely raw driving experience. I laughed when he made a comment about the Genesis is so noisy and the plastic rattles. He must have filmed that part before he drove the Lotus. My Elise sounds like a bucket of bolts on a daily basis... it's part of the Lotus charm. It's a rampant problem among us but it's just accepted (hence the "TADTS" rotfl) because we all enjoy this brand that much.

The bottom line is; I think the Lotus is in a whole different league. Not because of the performance stats, but simply because what the car, in stock form, can offer a driving enthusiast!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
you guys all know about the air to gel seat mod for our cars that make you want to live in them, right?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yeah, I don't get the uncomfortable seats thing.

On the contrary, I rent cars all the time when I travel and I've encountered numerous cars where I've found the seats uncomfortable and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get them adjusted to a comfortable setting. I had a BMW X5 for two years and I could NEVER get that multi-adjustable seat to ANYTHING resembling comfort.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Josh - how do you feel about the power? I know that's the knock on the BRZ/FRS - I believe the 0-60 performance is pretty anemic. That being said, there will be TONS of tunes and aftermarket stuff available for these cars.

I can tell it's going to be an 'enthusiasts' car - at the Brian Redman weekend at Road America, I saw at least 10 parked in the lots - mostly the Subaru (not the Scion).
I'm fine with the power. It is well-balanced. It accelerates about as well as it brakes about well as it handles. Like all good simple sports cars. 0-60 is mid-6's, so it isn't a world beater in the modern world of Evo's and STI's, but it isn't a dog. It's a classic "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" situation. And it's even more fun to have one of each :).

I wouldn't want it to have forced induction. A nice reasonably light normally aspirated front-rear coupe with a torsen limited slip, a great gearbox, low center of gravity, good steering feel, and interesting engine is something to savor. And to learn from.

I'm sure it will be a modern enthusiast classic. I liken it to a modern 240z, and Automoile mag just did a nice comparison of the two in this month's issue: MX-5 Miata Forum - View Single Post - FR-S vs 240Z by Automobile mag.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You didn't even have the decency to show up with the right diffuser and exhaust~!

What kind of example is that for the rest of TEAM FRIENDSHIP?!?!?!?!?
The lone wolf. I work alone ;)

They didn't want many (any) mods on the car so even if I had them they probably would have told me to pound sand... such is life :no:

·
Back to the Future, again
6,176 Posts
The lone wolf. I work alone ;)

They didn't want many (any) mods on the car so even if I had them they probably would have told me to pound sand... such is life :no:
I know. They specifically asked for a near stock car or stock car if they can. I'm so sad.:(

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That's awesome Rich! I really liked how one of the guys started off by hating on the color of the car. All in all, they really liked your car.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's awesome Rich! I really liked how one of the guys started off by hating on the color of the car. All in all, they really liked your car.
Thanks man :up: Todd (the guy with the longer hair) has a thing for hating on Silver cars, hence the joke about mine being Silver of all colors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts