The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Lotus has been caught honing its next model at the Nürburgring.

At first glance, the Lotus Elise caught by spy photographers appears to be the Elise S Cup R but noticeably missing is the track-only variant’s external battery isolator switch and the external button for the fire extinguisher. With those components missing, it appears that the British automaker is working on a production, road-going variant for its Elise S Cup R.

The track-only car is based on the Elise S and is powered by a supercharged 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine, which will almost certainly stay the same for the road car. The Elise R will likely feature the same aerodynamic and suspension improvements as the Cup R, though it will be slightly toned down for street use. If it gets the green light, expect the Elise R to make its debut at this year’s Paris Motor Show.
See more Lotus Elise R photos at AutoGuide.com

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Want it! Please deliver one directly to my house ASAP! stupid smart air bags, 5 mph bumpers... pfffttt.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So... why are the Elige's so slow on the Nurburgring? I mean, the times posted show it being slower than a Cobalt SS for the Exige. That's pretty disappointing.

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
So... why are the Elige's so slow on the Nurburgring? I mean, the times posted show it being slower than a Cobalt SS for the Exige. That's pretty disappointing.
Not sure if you were referring to this article specifically, or all Eliges in general. This article Potential Road-Legal Lotus Elise R Tests at the Nurburgringstates 4 seconds faster than Elise. And here are several more pix: Picture 7 - Spied: Lotus' road-legal Elise S Cup R

I'm not normally a fan of matte paint, but it looks good in red.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Maybe it's the lack of power in the Eliges? When you compare super cars power to weight ratios to our Eliges, it's down right laughable.

·
2006 Exige
971 Posts
The 'Ring is a power track. Power to weight is great on tight to medium tracks, but you really need a lot of HP at the 'Ring. Even with a S/C, the Exige really hits a wall around 120.

I wonder how a REV400 car would do there??? It would be a lot faster, but still no where near some of the times that these 600+HP cars are doing.

·
Registered
945 Posts
That infamous Cobalt SS test says "Motor Trend" on Wikipedia but that's a lie (it's just where the time was reported) - the time was set by a factory car with a factory driver instead of a showroom car with a magazine driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwJVnWHjiI , so it's pretty rigged.

The 'ring definitely does favor power, though.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Looks like a PlastiDip paint job. And what's up with that wing? The car has beautiful sweeping curves until you get to that jagged, angular, over-sized wing...

Am I the only one who sees it?

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's probably a standard Elise with Cup aero parts. :shrug:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would like to see it come out street legal. Would be very interesting to see how its sales, performance and driving experience would compare to the 4C. It would make for a nice market to have both of those out at the same time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts