The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In reading the Lotus brochure, the specs list the Lotus Elise 0 to 60 at 4.9 seconds and the Elise SC at 4.4 seconds. Are these both without the Sport Package? As I recall the the base Elise was previously advertised as 0 to 60 with the Sport Package at 4.7 seconds. Would this then mean that the SC would be able to go 0 to 60 in 4.2 or 4.3 seconds with the Sport Package? Or is the 4.4 seconds advertised for the SC with the Sport Package, making 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds without the Sport Package. If so, this would mean a difference of .1 seconds and a $6,000+ price differential between a non-sport SC Elise and a sport package Elise? I'm just a bit confused as to whether Lotus is providing us an apples to apples comparison, as I don't see any asterisk on their site indicating 4.4 seconds with the sport package.
Lastly, for those with an Elise SC and previously owning an Elise, is there a very noticeable difference in power? I've read that power comes on quicker at 4,200 RPM's, but how would you describe the difference having previously owned a base Elise?
vincesf

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
In reading the Lotus brochure, the specs list the Lotus Elise 0 to 60 at 4.9 seconds and the Elise SC at 4.4 seconds. Are these both without the Sport Package? As I recall the the base Elise was previously advertised as 0 to 60 with the Sport Package at 4.7 seconds. Would this then mean that the SC would be able to go 0 to 60 in 4.2 or 4.3 seconds with the Sport Package? Or is the 4.4 seconds advertised for the SC with the Sport Package, making 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds without the Sport Package. If so, this would mean a difference of .1 seconds and a $6,000+ price differential between a non-sport SC Elise and a sport package Elise? I'm just a bit confused as to whether Lotus is providing us an apples to apples comparison, as I don't see any asterisk on their site indicating 4.4 seconds with the sport package.
Lastly, for those with an Elise SC and previously owning an Elise, is there a very noticeable difference in power? I've read that power comes on quicker at 4,200 RPM's, but how would you describe the difference having previously owned a base Elise?
vincesf
You'll drive yourself crazy trying to draw conclusions from these bench racing/magazine 0-60 times. When the Elise came out, all kinds of times, from 4.4 to 5.1 were published.

It was clear, though, that to get the best time you usually had to flog the car (as in clutch dump at 8500 rpm) in a way you would almost never treat your own car. So in that case the quick times were more 'theoretical' than practical, or repeatable.

From what I can glean, the SC cars (including the Exige S) isn't so much about improved 0-60 acceleration, but that the power comes on earlier, and the torque is available through the power band.

This makes for better day to day driveability, and also lets you get around a track faster 'cause the car 'goes' right away when you hit the throttle.

The bottom line is that almost everyone who has owned or driven both the N/A and SC cars say the SC cars take the Elise/Exige to a completely different level of performance.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Restating what lotusforsale said, 0-60 doesn't use the midrange power that much, where the elise SC does much better than the n/a elise.

0-60 is not that useful anyways, 5-60 is a much more useful statistic, in which, these cars don't do all that well (at least the n/a). These cars weren't made to be fast in a straight line...

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
"The bottom line is that almost everyone who has owned or driven both the N/A and SC cars say the SC cars take the Elise/Exige to a completely different level of performance."

They should.

They added a SUPERCHARGER. :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
to me, there was a noticeable difference between the Elise and the Elise SC, enough so to purchase the Elise SC.

pretty much a description of what most people would guess: more grunt, makes the car seem more effortless, no real added weight and it retains it's steering and braking dynamics.

hope this helps in your decision.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
At this point, I wouldn't buy a new Elise that wasn't supercharged unless it was discounted enough to allow me to put in my own supercharger solution.

The 05's have already taken their depreciation hit and have held steady for the last year, perhaps even rising 5%. ON 07 non-super Elise will drop like a rock the first year, probably $4-5k more than a supercharged Elise.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to me, there was a noticeable difference between the Elise and the Elise SC, enough so to purchase the Elise SC.

pretty much a description of what most people would guess: more grunt, makes the car seem more effortless, no real added weight and it retains it's steering and braking dynamics.

hope this helps in your decision.
What's your impression about the Sports Suspension on the SC?
vincesf

·
Registered
205 Posts
i was a bit concerned that the LSS would be a bit more of a jarring ride especially on wide expansion joints and the like; not the case. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not jarring nor harsh.

to me, it only makes sense to buy a Lotus with the lightest rims you can get. it only makes sense to purchase it this way. :shrug:

if you are going to order the car new or purchase it new off of a dealer's inventory, get at least the Sport Pak, whether N/A or Supercharged.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
i was a bit concerned that the LSS would be a bit more of a jarring ride especially on wide expansion joints and the like; not the case. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not jarring nor harsh.

to me, it only makes sense to buy a Lotus with the lightest rims you can get. it only makes sense to purchase it this way. :shrug:

if you are going to order the car new or purchase it new off of a dealer's inventory, get at least the Sport Pak, whether N/A or Supercharged.
If you prefer not to modify the suspension that makes sense. If you don't mind a little wrenching, there are better coilovers and wheels available aftermarket.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

+1

remember the LSS elise c/w standard elise - the difference in 0-60 was due not just to lighter wheels, but also stickier tires (048s)...the elise SC with sport pack has the lighter wheels but AD07 tires.

Having said that, my elise SC with sport pack feels noticeably faster than my 05 elise without sport pack (definitely more than a .1 sec difference)....

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1

remember the LSS elise c/w standard elise - the difference in 0-60 was due not just to lighter wheels, but also stickier tires (048s)...the elise SC with sport pack has the lighter wheels but AD07 tires.

Having said that, my elise SC with sport pack feels noticeably faster than my 05 elise without sport pack (definitely more than a .1 sec difference)....
So it appears that the Sport Package on the Elise SC does NOT contribute to the 0 to 60 times, at 4.4 seconds with or without it? It's just the I have seen 4.6 seconds quoted on various publications and assumed it was non-Sport Package equipped cars.
vincesf

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I think most likely the Lotus quoted 0-60 times are for non-sport pack cars, and the sport pack on the elise SC will be slightly faster than the non-sport pack elise SC. But I agree with others that the official 0-60 times have to be taken with a grain of salt...

·
Registered
786 Posts
The 0.2 sec difference between the Base and Sport Package on the 2005-07 is because of the A048 tires on the sport package. It has better grip on launch. The '08 Base and Sport Pak now have the same tires (AD07's). That's why there is no longer any difference in 0-60 times between Base and Sport Pak.

As others have said, 0-60 times just aren't as meaningful as they used to be. (I remember a time when a 0-60 in 7 seconds was considered good.)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
That's why there is no longer any difference in 0-60 times between Base and Sport Pak.
Just curious if you have a source for this info? I was under the impression it was both the lighter wheels and stickier tires that improved the 0-60. I cant imagine that the lighter wheels by themselves have no effect on 0-60 time, and I have not come across any test or official statement saying there is no difference in 0-60 time with the SC sport pack....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I doubt the wheels have a measurable effect on 0-60 times. More like dropping the clutch does not spin A048s as easy as A07s.

05 and 06 was 4.7 sport and 4.9 non-sport

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
not trying to be difficult, just looking for facts, not opinion....
as best I can tell, the lighter wheels reduce the rotational mass by about 17-20 lbs...(using wheel weights from sector 111 chart - note that is for 16x6.5 fronts)...

I have read the following - cant vouch for its accuracy though : "A reduction in the weight of the rim/tire assembly of 5lbs x 4 (all around the car) is equivalent to a 200lb weight reduction in vehicle weight (thats worth 0.200 in the 1/4 mile)"
some may say that 1:10 ratio is too high...but remember we are dealing with a light car to begin with ...

source: an article quoted elsewhere in this forum regarding unsprung weight/rotational mass:

Unsprung Weight, Part 2

and more on the handling benefits of reducing unsprung weight:

Unsprung Weight, Part 1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Elise SC is not enhanced 0-60 by the Sport Package; SC is 0-60mph 4.4sec, according to LotusUSA
The "misquotes" or discrepancies of 4.6 you refer to are probably based on 0-100kph (0-62mph).

·
Registered
786 Posts
Just curious if you have a source for this info? I was under the impression it was both the lighter wheels and stickier tires that improved the 0-60. I cant imagine that the lighter wheels by themselves have no effect on 0-60 time, and I have not come across any test or official statement saying there is no difference in 0-60 time with the SC sport pack....
Road & Track. I can see if I can dig up the article.

The purpose of lighter wheels and tires is to reduce the un-sprung weight so you get a more immediate and better steering response. I doubt that it would affect the acceleration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got the new Elise SC.. The car is so much better than the regular elise. Base the car go 0-60 in 4.4, i would guess the sports pack would make it a little bit faster. I can tell you though, the car is definately worth getting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts