The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some feedback from new owners of the Elise SC...I've been back and forth between the Cayman S and the Lotus for what seems like forever, but having driven the SC this past weekend, I am strongly leaning in that direction. While the reviews I've read have all been favorable, I'd like to hear from some actual owners. Also, I've seen Lotus' performance numbers on the SC, but I was wondering if any of you had any links to actual instrumented test results. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a BWR equipped 05 Elise. It is absolutely a totally different driving car now. There is power everywhere. When the second cam comes in @ 5800, the trip to 8K in first and sceond is all most too quick. I have the stock shifter. What has surprised me the most is how much happier the engine seems now. It idles a lot smoother, gets almost the same gas mileage and is so much more fun to drive. I have not dynoed the car, but I believe the engine is now a little over 250 hp. Maybe I should test drive the factory SC to compare. I have almost 18K total miles but only 1K SCed. No problems so far. I purchased it used with 13.5K on it.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Can I get some feedback from new owners of the Elise SC...I've been back and forth between the Cayman S and the Lotus for what seems like forever, but having driven the SC this past weekend, I am strongly leaning in that direction. While the reviews I've read have all been favorable, I'd like to hear from some actual owners. Also, I've seen Lotus' performance numbers on the SC, but I was wondering if any of you had any links to actual instrumented test results. Thanks for you help.
Have you seen this thread:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/first-drive-2008-lotus-elise-supercharged-55640/

Also, take a look at the Lotus Articles and Review section on this forum. These may be of interest:
Lotus Articles and Reviews - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f103/fifth-gear-lotus-elise-sc-review-53918/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f103/factory-supercharged-elise-review-53633/

On a side note, while looking at Audis (dealers also carry Porsche), I've notice lots of Cayman S in the high $60s to $70K range. Not worth that much money IMO and that would put you in an Exige S 240.

Lastly, I'm just throwing this out there but a few dealers are offering $10K off on an 2007 Exige S (220hp) which would make it less than some new Elise SC (usually $60K).

·
Registered
431 Posts

Lotus did not make many cars for 2008, let alone the SC Elise however; those who've purchased the vehicle and are on LT will tell you it's a great car. Personally, I absolutely love this car and doubt you'll be dissapointed (sp?).

If Lotus is the way you want to go, I recommend the SC Elise. :up:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
how would the elise sc do against a bwr elise?
No comparison, the BWR (along with the other aftermarket SCs) are generally faster. You do keep the warranty with the factory SC though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Elise SC Review

Thanks for the link to the edmunds.com inside line review, which I just happend to see first thing this morning, even before I checked responses to this post. All in all, a very favorable article. I was looking at the test results, however, and did notice a bit of a discrepancy between what Lotus provides, and what edmunds observes. While the 0-60 time of 4.9 (4.6 with 1 foot roll out) is not that different from the 4.4 sec Lotus provides (and probably is within the margin of error), did you notice 1/4 mile times of 13.3 or so at 103 mph...based on this, it seems like the Lotus 0-100 mpk of 10.7 sec is a bit optimistic. Having seen Road and Tracks 1/4 mile time for the '07 Exige S, I'd say the same is true for that model. Before I get slammed for raising this point, I just want to point out that my attraction to the car has more to do with exceptional handling than outright speed.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I don't think I posted a link to Edmunds but in all honesty, I think Lotus' 0 to 60 times are a bit optimistic or are not easily repeatable. I think 4.6 for the Elise SC would be more accurate or at at least more frequently reproduced. That being said, some people on this forum have gotten and posted their 0 to 60 times on the regular Elise which was the same as Lotus' claims.

Also, one factor could be if the Elise SC has the Lotus Sports Suspension (LSS) package with lighter wheels and sticker A048. On the original Elise, Lotus claimed a .2 second advantage with the LSS.

When looking at 0 to 60 times, I think adding a .5 second margin of error help put the cars into perspective and accounts for road conditions and "driver commitment". ;)

In regards to the 220hp Exige S, I'd think it would be a little slower than the Elise SC due to drag and a slight weight increase. But I think the advantage of the 220hp Exige S is that it would be easier to tune due to the intercooler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SC vs. Exige S ('07)

Allan...quite right, your post was to a Motor Trend article. That being said, there is a nice review of the SC on today's Edmunds.com/inside line, from which I pulled those performance numbers.

Regarding the SC vs. '07 Exige S, it looks like I can get the later for around 53K vs. 57K for the SC. Four thousand savings seems like a nice chunk of change, particulary in these times, and I was wondering about the trades-offs/benefits inherent in doing this. Similiar power obviously, altough the Exige has a bit more torque, maybe a bit nicer cabin in the SC and a rearward view (although the spoiler cuts into this), more practicality in the SC (although this is bit of a stretch), but a more aggressive/purposeful look in the Exige. What else should I consider?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I haven't tried "shopping" for an Elise SC but a lot of the prices I'm seeing are in the $60K range vs. two dealers that I know off (Criswell and Beverly Hills Lotus) are selling their 2007 Exige S inventory for $10K off. So, that discount would help offset depreciation. On the negative side, the rear view in the Exige S is non-existent so I suppose you'd want to have a rear-view camera system installed or aftermarket wide angle mirrors.

I can't really think of any other difference between the Elise SC and Exige 220hp that hasn't ready been brought up. I don't think the Elise SC has the launch control feature or the variable traction control in the 2008 Exige 240. Also, I believe the Exige has a hand-landed fiberglass where as the Elise is compressed? Ultimately, I think the Exige's fiberglass is a bit heavier and maybe sturdier. Can someone else confirm because I'm not too sure about that.

If it were a personal choice between Lotus', if I wanted an Elise SC or an Exige 240hp, I'd wait a few more months until dealers are more flexible with pricing but I don't think Lotus is bring into too many cars in the U.S. for 2008 so it may be a while until you see similar discounts. As for an 2007 Exige S, I think this would be a good time to pick one up.

If we compared Lotus and Cayman S, a lot of the Cayman S I'm seeing are also in the $70K range but let's assume you can also get a discount that bring it to $60K. So, for $60K you can get a Cayman S, for $56K (assumes a small discount) you can get a Elise SC, or for $54K you can get a 2007 Exige S (with star shield and touring pack).

·
Registered
7,610 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dear SMG,
I have not posted anything on the site since I got my Elise. I have spent a lot, really a lot of time looking, reading, studying and analyzing data as it looks you are doing. It is probably part of our personalities.
I can tell you that there is no comparison between an Elise or Exige and a Cayman. it is like comparing Apples to Oranges. they are both very good (depending on the quality of the produce) but they are quite different. I understand that this does not help. it did not help me as well when I was trying to understand what to do. there are so many differences, I really do not know where to start from. But there is a key gap, Lotus will bring feelings that Porsche cannot deliver on normal roads.
All those numbers, really they are meaningless on a daily drive. I can tell you what I read in the eyes of the Cayman drivers when I see them. they just say: I wish I had something like that, I wish I could dare driving that.
Driving a car like a Lotus is not about numbers but about feelings. Kind of hard to explain.
Porsche = expected and kind of show off for people
Lotus = real, real and almost pure feelings - to get better you should go for an Atom Ariel.

well, all the best in your search and sorry for the long note. I just wanted to get my 2 cents after many months of reading.

stefano

·
Registered
202 Posts
here is my $0.02...

I own both a 2009 Elise SC and a 2006 911 4S cabriolet, not a cayman, but pretty close. As others have mentioned, the 2 cars are truly night and day different however here goes:

steering - elise wins
acceleration - tie
braking - porsche
engine sound - porsche (I have their sport exhaust which is beautiful)
which gets noticed more - elise
creature comforts - porsche
which would I want to take a trip in - porsche
which would I want to take anywhere else - elise

The list could go on forever and it would be back and forth. One for elise, one for porsche. I am 6"4' and the elise is no fun crawling in and out of but once in, it is the most fun car I've ever driven. That said, if it were me and I had to choose one it would likely boil down to this. If the car is your true daily driver with no other vehicle, the porsche would likely get my vote however if you can drive the elise when you want, and not when you have to, then the elise will be hard to pass up.

Good luck and drive lots of cars while you are looking. The perfect one for you is out there somewhere.

Tony

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I also cross-shopped the Cayman S to the Elise SC and ended up getting an Elise w/Katana supercharger. I really like the Cayman with its rich leather aroma, expensive touch surfaces and overall luxury refinement, but the Lotus is markedly more visceral and fun to drive. Like Tony said above, you can go back and forth all day about different properties of the Lotus versus Porsche on which wins what category, but I'd say you need to ask yourself which properties are more important. If you're not concerned with how expensive your interior trim upholstery is and more passionate about the thrill from behind the steering wheel, the Lotus is probably your drive of choice.

The factory SC does have the warranty going for it versus the aftermarket supercharger kits, but that said you can score an '05 or '06 Elise for much less and then slap on a VF2 and clutch and you'll be right there with a 2-Eleven in a straight-line. :D I suppose if you want that new-shiny-freshness of a brand new Elise SC then no aftermarket will matter, but just wanted to throw that out there, no disrespect to the SC, it's the Elise model that got me hooked!

Cheers and good luck,
Ryan

·
Registered
148 Posts
I owned a Cayman S for a year....

Ordered it with ALL performance options. Found it rather dull and sold it to get the new Mini JCW (no I'm not crazy, the Mini was more fun to drive as the Porsche is too...Mercedesish).

The Lotus is a Mini on a barrel of steroids. Go cart handling/feel with major ****s.

Two different cars. The Cayman s held two sets of clubs in back and two suitcases in front. And looked very cool. And the performance was no slowch either. Very livable. At nice compromise.

However, I have that covered in might everyday car. For a second car(toy) the Lotus beats all. It's just what I wanted.

Btw, the Lotus is the ultimate head tuner. The Porsche induced yawns at the cruise ins I took it too. No fun!

·
Registered
162 Posts
A new 08 SC should go for less than $48K if you shop around. I got a 2008 60th Anniversary SC with 700 miles on it for a lot less.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A new 08 SC should go for less than $48K if you shop around. I got a 2008 60th Anniversary SC with 700 miles on it for a lot less.
That's about right... and verified as I bought mine in February 2010, with full warranty. Mine has the following options: Phantom Black paint, Touring Pack, Sport Pack, Starshield and Factory Hardtop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts