The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received "Lotus Elise: The Official Story" for my birthday, but was bummed, since it really only goes up to and barely, the 111S. I noticed tonight, that the same author has written a continuation.

Lotus Elise: The Official Story Continues

I can only imagine this is all about the 111R, Toyota engine and the introduction to the US. It was published in July 2004.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...d=I3IQKAMEM8WL13&v=glance&colid=2U99AVPDTCME4

Anybody purchase this book yet?

Barry

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Yes - I have both.

WARNING!
THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME BOOK up until page 194 - Appendix 4 - right before the INDEX - whereas they plunk in about 10 pages regarding the 111R / Croft. They show the infamous Fall 2003 Road & Track cover article and such.

The thing that further sucks is that they dropped some wonderful factory Elise assembly / memorabilia pictures that were at the end of the original book to make room for this new "Appendix."

So I have two ~220 page books that are 95% the same. Their spines do look great beside each other in the bookcase - lke Volume 1 & 2... but...

I really thought that the new book would start in late 2002 and go into gory juicy detail regarding Croft development.

Nope. Nope. Nope!

Save your money.

p.s. Anyone want to buy the first "Official Story" book really cheap? Seriously!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
THANKS! I WAS JUST GOING TO ORDER THE BOOK - HAVE THE FIRST ONE. Sorry you got screwed.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Wow darkSol, that sucks.

I was just about to order it after seeing BarryB's post, thinking (reasonably) that it was "Part II", and not "Second Edition". Someone should write a review for Amazon clarifying this. It's not right of them to give the same book a new title.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Thanks for the info! Saved me some money, too. I have the first, and I've been toying with buying the 2nd. Not now!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Evl,
If it were me I'd rather have the earlier addition with build photos as nothing in that appendix will be anything you don't already know anyway.

I'd also recommend the book ELISE Rebirth of a True Lotus by Alastair Clements, covers up to a bit later period and has some good info at low price.
Chris

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Evl said:
So if I have neither now, would "Part II" be the better one to have as an only copy? Which is better, appendix A or the elise build photos?
I'm such an addict - I want both... it's just a bloody shame that they don't let you know up front. I would say - get the 2nd book and then pick up the "Best Of Britain" DVD - it shows everything that the 1st book shows - and more.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
darkSol said:
I'm such an addict - I want both... it's just a bloody shame that they don't let you know up front. I would say - get the 2nd book and then pick up the "Best Of Britain" DVD - it shows everything that the 1st book shows - and more.
I don't know if I have it all on my HD but they did not interview either J thompson, or S Crijns, on my version. That was a shame.
m.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I suspect this is not news to many people here, but Coterie Press at coteriepress.com publishes that book as well as several other really cool Lotus books too. My favorite is The Lotus Book. I have the S2 edition and am considering ordering S3. On the downside, as cool as my S2 book is, it has some odd typos that, being in the industry, are completely mind-boggling. On a few pages, the text just stops mid-sentence. You'd expect a continued on page XX blurb, but no, the copy ends where they ran out of room, end of paragraph or no.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know, that the books are relatively the same. I think the title is VERY deceiving!

Luckily somebody is going to spend their hard earned money purchasing the book for me, so I don't have to;)

Barry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts