The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can finally report on a comparison between my GT3 and the ELise. I have gotten through the breakin period with the Elise and I am now able to explore the world of 7-8,000 rpm.

First the GT3:
An amazing piece of automotive delight. Pulls all the way from 2,000rpm to redline with the same gusto-above 6000 rpm it starts to soar. I've had it up to 170mph on Austrian autobahns and it is as stable as 60 but you have to keep both hands planted on that wheel. It will start to "wander" into road defects and constant handson wheel control is really necessary at higher speeds. It doesn't feel like you're going very fast until you reach speeds over 120-130mph. At 150 you know you are moving. The power is linear with a wonderful exhaust note.

Now the Elise:

Feels more go cart-makes the Porsche feel very very big. Visibility around the SUVs on the road is difficult but with proper mirror placement I really don't find driving visibility a problem. Visibility when backing up is not great and you are checking every mirror and turning you head constantly to be sure that someone hasn't sped up and is standing behind you.
On the road-the Elise is so much fun! Accelerate to red light (no red line) and work up the gears. You move in and out of traffic with ease-slip feeding into spaces that a vw would not think of going. The sound is great (standard exhaust). You know that you are moving even when you are only doing 100. The car is up to 125 in a flash and back to zero again with such grip of the brakes . Between the quick down shifts and the excellent brakes you stop on a dime coming down from 100mph+ speeds incredibly short distances. (Car mags claim 95ft from 60mph-better than an Enzo).

All in all, two totally different cars but fun, fun, and more fun. I am fortunate to be able to choose which of these two beauties I will drive each day because either one is a pleasure to use.

BTW- the in and out of the Elise is really not a problem. In a very short time you learn a entrance-exit style that works for you (especially with the top on).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Glad to hear you like your Liz:clap: Looks like you have two very good tools for the driving fast job.:D

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Lonnie:

Read your PMs and let me know if you can show up- Maybe we could do a LSS vs non LSS comparison, standard vs touring etc. of the differant Elises.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
To all the younger Elise Talk readers....look at the pic above and remember - stay in school, go to college.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Donovan said:
To all the younger Elise Talk readers....look at the pic above and remember - stay in school, go to college.
Or the other option- quit school, sell crack and hope that you live past 18:no:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Lonnie! Is that you?

What happened to your Ferrari (Testarossa I believe?)

I'm planning to get an Elise sometime next year. I gotta have one!

Having a blast in my Subie WRX-STi for now. Driving at Homestead next weekend. Skip Barber Advanced Racing School in December.

Mike B... the car-crazy dentist down the street from you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm. I'm #71 on the Elise list and my GT3 is on a boat expected to dock today. I was thinking of pulling the plug on the Elise, but maybe I'll just it ride a few more months to see how the orders clear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There was a blue GT3 up at the Gap a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't taking it very fast though.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Irattner,

Beautiful machines

I must admit that if I had the means your exact line up is what I would have as well.

I find the GT3 so appealing mainly due to its normal aspiration as well as everything else that makes it such an incredible car.
I think that's why I like my S2K so much (the normal aspiration).

I guess I am a 3rd of the way there since I have my Mini Cooper S. How do you think that compares with your other machines?

Great Pic too!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mini Cooper S

Driving the Mini is totally different from any of my other cars. I don't have "The Works" in my car so it's just 163hp. You have to keep the revs up in the Mini to really make it humm.
Off the line I always find myself launching the car otherwise it is very slow. Once under way and as long as you keep it above5-6000 rpm it really moves. I have cruised at 125mph for long periods of time and the car feels firmly planted.
Of course, I have driven the GT3 at over 180mph (in Austria on the autobahn) and it also feels rock solid. The thing with the GT3 is you have to keep both hands on the wheel because it tends to find the road slots and it can groove into a line that would not be too good.
I have only had the Elise up to 130 and it too feels very stable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts