·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
855 Posts
Uhhh Tesla...
Tesla is great if you have an extra $100K laying around. If I didn't love the engine sound sooooooo much I would look into an electric conversion for the Elise in a heartbeat. It is the perfect car to convert. Lightweight, no power steering to worry about, and easy to work on once you remove the rear clam. Currently the only problem is how heavy the batteries would be. However if some of the new technology comes along in energy storage like the EEstor capacitor then the Elise would be the perfect electric conversion for much less than a Tesla.

·
Registered
855 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't need a full translation but I was wondering are they offering a "conversion Kit" and if so, how much is it?
The guy interviewed was involved in the conversion of the Elise. It remained unsaid if he worked for the elictricity company who was also involved in the project or some other company.
Cost was not mentioned at all.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Yes they are Elise not Tesla cars in the video. They sound pretty cool with a kind of whine as they go. I would like to know the specs, 0-60, top speed, how long for full charge, quick charge and weight etc, do they have a website?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I noticed in the video, an "ECE" Decal on the side of these. Perhaps then, bourne of/from HERE?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I wonder if these companies are looking at motor per wheel vs one big ass motor like Tesla, you would think you could do some pretty wicked all wheel drive, traction control stuff with each wheel having it's own motor

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
very interesting...i think my major concern would be driving distance from full charge

the tesla to me is worthless only getting 220miles per full charge, and thats if its driven "normally" who owns a lotus and drives it "normally" now a days LOL

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
very interesting...i think my major concern would be driving distance from full charge

the tesla to me is worthless only getting 220miles per full charge, and thats if its driven "normally" who owns a lotus and drives it "normally" now a days LOL
that's a bit hypocritical to say for a person who drives car that only gets around 230 miles to a tankfull!
(unless of course, you drive your lotus like.. normal folks, and never push it)
tho I'm guessing you're far from the average driver if you find yourself regularly driving 220 miles a day. (which means you average over 50k miles a year

The average driver out there drives 15,000 miles a year perhaps, which averages to about 42 miles miles a day if driven every single day.
and studies who that some people go years without driving more than 100 miles away.

So yes, I'd say the Tesla's range if perfectly suited for the average commuter.
the only thing it's not quite good for is long-range travel.

Wonder if someone will ever come out with a hybrid-Elise??
that would solve the range problem.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
that's a bit hypocritical to say for a person who drives car that only gets around 230 miles to a tankfull!
(unless of course, you drive your lotus like.. normal folks, and never push it)
tho I'm guessing you're far from the average driver if you find yourself regularly driving 220 miles a day. (which means you average over 50k miles a year

The average driver out there drives 15,000 miles a year perhaps, which averages to about 42 miles miles a day if driven every single day.
and studies who that some people go years without driving more than 100 miles away.

So yes, I'd say the Tesla's range if perfectly suited for the average commuter.
the only thing it's not quite good for is long-range travel.

Wonder if someone will ever come out with a hybrid-Elise??
that would solve the range problem.
LOL i could gas up just about anywhere and keep driving in the exige, hahaha if you run out of juice in a tesla in the middle of nowhere you are FCUKED...lol

yes i do about 50K/year in miles lol

and if i bought a car for over $100K i would love to enjoy it for more than 220miles at a time rotfl

plus i have a prius...so bite me ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Electric Elise

Hi Guys, I've already converted my Elise to electric (I am in Australia).
Check it out: Paul's 2002 Lotus Elise

How far? - Approx 100km on a charge (I only do 16kms a day an most people only do under 50kms a day!) - I also have a 2nd car which is petrol but have not needed to go further than 100km in 1 day.
How fast? - Approx 175kph ( due to limited motor RPM to 5,400).
Acceleration - Quite quick. Approx 6.5 seconds to 100kph.

It will be for sale soon and a lot cheaper than a Tesla. The Tesla in Australia costs between $220,000 and $250,000 depending on the model. I'll let my fully converted 2002 electric Elise go for offers around $75,000.

It was an ideal car to convert! but a lot of work! :mw:
Its fully engineer certified and road legal and registered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts