The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just got my 2005 Lotus Elise back from Mulholland Motorsports to replace my cracked windshield. I'm not sure if I missed any previous threads but thought I would give some tips to anyone who needs to claim a windshield replacement with insurance.

1. If you are in the SoCal area I highly recommend Julio at Mulholland Motorsports. It took a little over a month to get the insurance accepted, glass ordered/shipped, and installation. I thought it would take much longer, but Julio was excellent with his communication between me and the insurance company and this really helped speed things along.

2. Make sure that the front clam is removed as it is stated in the official Lotus service/repair manuals. My insurance "Ameriprise" called around to other local shops basically trying to suggest that removal of the clam is not necessary (based on other shop's procedures). Julio sent over the documents from the official manuals proving that Lotus recommends removal of the front clam (otherwise you may cause damage). With that evidence they finally approved the labor involved in that process. They also wanted to see proof of the work performed (pictures with the clam off).
*I get it, they assumed this is a regular windshield replacement on a Toyota Corolla. :no:

*Also wanted to mention that Julio cleaned up the internals under the clam (see pics) and also provided bolts/hardware that was missing from attachment points under the clam. Now thats customer service!

Anyways, If you guys have any questions let me know. I'm happy to have the Lotus back! :UK:

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome! Are replacement windshields readily available?

I know where I'll be taking my car if (ok, when) I need a new windshield. I wonder if they could also re-spray the front clam while its off? I guess it depends on how hard it is to match the factory paint colors.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Are replacement windshields readily available?

I know where I'll be taking my car if (ok, when) I need a new windshield. I wonder if they could also re-spray the front clam while its off? I guess it depends on how hard it is to match the factory paint colors.
I think Julio had it shipped from the east coast. I assumed it would take longer if it had to be ordered from the UK. Yeah, I have heard a lot of great things about Mulholland Motorsports and this is my first time using them. Julio takes a lot of pride in his work (He is the painter) and I'm sure he could get a close if not perfect match. In his office he sells large art pieces that he has painted using left over paint or for test panels. His work is fascinating, wish I took a few pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts