The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Anything that we don't need for the race, all interior, glass, and body pieces will eventually be up for sale.

I would sell you the sticker, but I think I want to keep the centers unless you make a good enough offer to change my mind

·
Registered
78 Posts
What do you want to know about the car

There is only one gas tank. Two filler necks. Located behind the rear seat. Remove the carpet from the rear boot and you will see it.

Wiring harness. The fuse box can be a problem. The harness plugs into the bottom of the fuse block from inside the passenger footwell. Corrosion hurts the connections there. There is also a connection block in that aera that should be checked. The fuses get loose, terminals corrode and you loose power. The rad fans and a/c fans are on the same fuse. Put a relay on the rad fans and the load problem on that circuit is fixed.

Vacuum lines. The light pods are vac operated. The solenoids have problems. The old plastic lines leak at many places.

There are three trans. One 4 speed and two different 5 speeds. The Lotus/Maxi 5 speed has a frame mount at the rear of the box. The Gertrag mounts from the sides of the box.

I have four Elites. Consider that Lotus is planning on another car named Elite. Will that car make the older versions worth more? Do not know??? If repaired correctly all Lotus cars will provide driving fun. The Elite is one of the few Lotus cars that you can pack real luggage in and go off on trip. Coolers, tents, chairs, misc.... they all fit at the same time to go to a car show.

·
Registered
5 Posts
here is one cage design that might work for us:

Can someone explain the gas tank setup on this car, the guy we bought it from said it actually has two tanks.

We are probably going to do a fuel cell setup anyways but I am curious.
I know I’m late in posting this, but just saw this thread. Make sure you are current on the Lemons safety rules, they have become more strict with cage design. Bolt together sleeves are no longer acceptable. I’ve done almost every Lemons race in Texas, for the first event, we were over-built as for as safety goes and the last event we barely passed safety tech with the exact same equipment. We were grandfathered in and had to go and re-weld all joints that use to be bolted together with high end hardware. It made for a safer car but were surprised by the change. Invest in a good cage, seat and harness system. It is worth it. Best of luck to you.

Attached is an older pic of my teams car, a fun but not so fast way around a corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
The car you have came with a 5 speed transmission, the Eclat came with a 4 speed. The 5 speed is somewhat fragile and could be rendered toothless when driven with a heavy hand. In the late 80's I bought my '74 Elite with a chipped second gear from an owner who's wife refused to acquiesce to another repair bill. The internals were cribbed from a British Leyland Maxi, and proved not to be up to the task.
An issue to watch out for is failure of the water pump in a car that has been sitting a long time. The 907 engine utilised a water pump similar to that of a SAAB 99 with a 1.7ltr. or 1.8 ltr. engine sourced from Triumph. Also look out for rust in the backbone frame, esp. in the front suspension carriers.

You know, I have seen one example with a aluminum block Rover nee' Buick 3.5 ltr. V8 installed with a Toyota Supra transmission installed.

In the years that I had mine, I never encountered another one on the road.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well I just wanted to give an update to the build.

We have a race coming up in August of this year so the car needs to be ready to race by then.

We test fired the motor with some starting fluid the other day, and it started right up and sounded healthy. I'm surprised it wasn't siezed or had other issues from sitting for 20 plus years.

The wiring is a mess and completely corroded. We are going to rewire the car ourselves from scratch. We basically just need the car to run and then maybe have 2 or 3 accessory circuits.

We have cut a hole in the rear trunk area for the install of our fuel cell. We are going to have to build a mad max style rear bumper in this area. Behind the rear axle there is nothing but fiberglass so in a rear end incident the fuel cell needs to be protected.

The cage building will start next week.

I will post up a few pictures of the progress later today.

Any have an online resource for parts diagrams for this car?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The interior gutted:

Hole cut for the fuel cell:

The fuel cell will sit where it is in this picture, but about 3-6 inches higher once we build its support frame and cage.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Fuel cell looks great... and scary. Are you going to use the stock fuel lines? Routed down the same path? We just routed ours through the interior (inside conduit as the rules state) as removing the drive shaft in our car happens to be non-trivial.

Have you poked your brain on the rear glass catch yet? :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
We got some braided fuel lines with all correct an fittings so routing wont be an issue. The difficult part is going to be building a rear bumper behind the fuel cell becausethe stock car has no steel behind the rear axle.

I"ve banged my head way to many times on that darn thing, but whats really killing me is all the fiberglass floating around.

·
Registered
324 Posts
We have a race coming up in August of this year so the car needs to be ready to race by then.
Which race are you doing in august? me and a group of friends just got a lemons car also, and will run our first race in june, at autobahn country club.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
We are skipping the race in June and going to Road America in August. Then we are going to do the autobahn race in October.

We now have 3 cars, an E30 BMW, a ford ZX2, and our Lotus elite.

What car are you bringing to the race in June?

·
Registered
324 Posts
We are bringing a 4 door saturn. It was a lemons car when we bought it a couple months ago. We had to rebuild the engine and just got it running for the first time last night. We are planning on doing all 3 races this year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You guys inspired some of my friends and I. Not this year but 2013 we are doing this.
Great decision, Lemons really is a blast! If you want to come check out our E30 Lemons car, or the Lotus some time let me know. I've got all kinds of cheaty lemons tricks to share.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Main hoop, halo hoop, dash bar, and A-pillar bars fitted:

We decide to keep the factory main hoop and eventually tie our main hoop into that as well. After all Lotus put it there for a reason when they made the car so why not leave it in as extra protection.

The oringal rear strut/spring mounts looked a little weak. We are planning on tying in our back stays, a strut brace between the two towers, and also a rear frame to protect our fuel cell in a crash. So they needed to be strengthened.

Before:

After:

The Elites odd steel backbone and fiberglass chassis:

The inboard drums that we are going to have to come up with a disc replacement for somehow:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
21 - 40 of 73 Posts