The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do the initials on the top of the Lotus emblem stand for?

·
Registered
2011 Persian Blue Elise R(S)
819 Posts
If you didn't know that, you don't know who Colin is:

Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman CBE (19 May 1928[1] – 16 December 1982) was an influential English design engineer, inventor, and builder in the automotive industry, and founder of Lotus Cars

·
Registered
320 Posts
Neat bit of trivia is that Colin Chapman actually drafted up that Logo himself.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Chapman's first car was a special built using a 1930 Austin Seven and this was entered in a series of trials. It was called a Lotus because Chapman and his friends had worn themselves out building it and they reckoned it had the same soporific effect as the lotus flower.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Chapman's first car was a special built using a 1930 Austin Seven and this was entered in a series of trials. It was called a Lotus because Chapman and his friends had worn themselves out building it and they reckoned it had the same soporific effect as the lotus flower.
Indeed, that is one of many legends explaining the origin of the name. But nobody so far has been able to document Colin's explanation, and Hazel hasn't given it up yet, either.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The first car wasn't called Lotus until later. The second car was the first called Lotus.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Indeed, that is one of many legends explaining the origin of the name. But nobody so far has been able to document Colin's explanation, and Hazel hasn't given it up yet, either.
I'm so hoping that Hazel has put it in her will and that Clive will tell us. I also hope that Hazel lives for a good long time, but I'm still alive to hear it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts