The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Exige with a Sector111 supercharger. When i go to emissions that are saying that they cannot get any readings from the ECU. The supercharger was done by the prior owner and i am assuming at this point they changed the ECU.

I am in Connecticut. I talked to a mechanic at Secor Lotus and he said i would probably have to buy a new stock ecu from Lotus for like $1,500 and hav them put that in and then go to emissions and then put the old ecu back in.

I also found out that the VIN in the ecu is different that the car's vin by 1 digit. The emissions department also complained about this.

I really dont want to spend 2 grand just to pass emissions. Any thoughs or suggestions from anyone?

PLEASE HELP !!!! :)

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
reprogram the VIN in the ecu you Lotus scan3 tool (at the dealer)

I'd get the SC elise ECU if I had to buy one.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would try to get hold of Shinoo at Sector 111 and see if can pass you on to Steve Carlson. Steve was the one who did the programming for the Katana 2 kit. My personal experience with them in the past has been quite good. It sounds like you have peculiar issue and I'd be suprised if they couldn't help.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
That's right. I forgot their SCs are CARB approved.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Although Sector 111 never obtained CARB approval for their Katana2, that doesn't mean they can't help. Keep us posted.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
All the t4e ecus are essentially the same. It's only the programming that's different.

You don't need a new ecu. That's terrible advice. It may need some new programming, you may have a some bad wiring to the obd2 port, or the inspectors emissions tool may not have been happy making a connection to the ecu. These ecus are sometimes particular about the code reader that is plugged in in addition to how the code reader is trying to connect between power cycles. You may find that the ecu just shut its ports down due to something the inspector was doing and the ecu needed a power cycle to reset the comms.

Borrow a code reader from the parts store and see if it will connect. Try another inspection station or go back again after inspecting the obd2 port for damage, loose pin, etc.

The vin is a programming error/oversight.

Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. here is the latest. I borrowed a code reader from a friend. I detects the protocol and thats it. it cannot identify the car or the VIN. Dont know where to go from here. Would disconnecting the battery and reconnecting help at all?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts