The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody downloaded or used the official Lotus engine management softare available on the website (vsi.lotuscars.com)? It should allow diagnostics and reflashing with a J2534-compliant cable.

I'm about the pull the trigger and buy it, but I can't find a feature list or even a description of what I'm buying. I emailed software licensing at lotus, but didn't get a reply.

I'm not looking to build a product, but just have full service control over my own car. I think a lot of people would want the same, although in my case I have a fair bit of experience developing reflash software.

donour

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
That's a very good question. I would be curious to see exactly what is supported there. Does it include all of the lotus calibrations or what?

Please keep us posted if you do in fact go through with it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dammit. I paid ($260) and now It won't let me login or download.

EDIT: I guess I should insert obligatory lotus jokes here. "lotus designed website?". Maybe I'll just get a vanity plate, "What QC?"

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Don't you need additional hardware adapter or something? I coulda swore there was more to it than just the software...

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Not to rain on a parade, but this won't do much for ya other than allow you to do your own lotus FW updates... All the manufacturers offer such a SW pass-through, but not sure what the point is for anyone other than a lotus shop...

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to rain on a parade, but this won't do much for ya other than allow you to do your own lotus FW updates... All the manufacturers offer such a SW pass-through, but not sure what the point is for anyone other than a lotus shop...

Cheers,

Phil
Do you know if there are specific features of the LotusScan system that are missing? It should allow enabling/disabling of some features like cruise control.

You should be able to upload any firmware update, not just ones provided by lotus. It seems like the logical first step to developing a homebrew reflash system.

donour

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do you know if there are specific features of the LotusScan system that are missing? It should allow enabling/disabling of some features like cruise control.

You should be able to upload any firmware update, not just ones provided by lotus. It seems like the logical first step to developing a homebrew reflash system.

donour
"Everything" is missing in the standard package... It's just a limited ENGINE-Diag and reflash access to the car which wasn't designed voluntarily as the manufacturers MUST give every workshop the opportunity to update and diagnose manufacturer-specific but emissions-related stuff respectively keep a car up to date even if there is no specific workshop around...
It's usually only for cars after 2010 anyway.
Forget coding or flashing any other firmware apart from the original one that matches the car :no:
Here some more information on the comparable Lambo system as I had to care once about this (but didn't have to for Lotus).
https://serviceinformation.lamborgh.../web/en/welcome/reprogramming+interfaces#swpc
You can clearly see: NO coding of the car, no Airbag/ABS or any other system in the list...

Info on the device: All about J2534 and a good description what you would actually buy with such a software...
I think the device was around USD 1500 or something like that... Long time ago since I bought mine.

So sorry, but that’s no “holy grail” or something like that at all and also not new…

Cheers!
Luke

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Everything" is missing in the standard package... It's just a limited ENGINE-Diag and reflash access to the car which wasn't designed voluntarily as the manufacturers MUST give every workshop the opportunity to update and diagnose manufacturer-specific but emissions-related stuff respectively keep a car up to date even if there is no specific workshop around...
It's usually only for cars after 2010 anyway.
Forget coding or flashing any other firmware apart from the original one that matches the car :no:
Here some more information on the comparable Lambo system as I had to care once about this (but didn't have to for Lotus).
https://serviceinformation.lamborgh.../web/en/welcome/reprogramming+interfaces#swpc
You can clearly see: NO coding of the car, no Airbag/ABS or any other system in the list...

Info on the device: All about J2534 and a good description what you would actually buy with such a software...
I think the device was around USD 1500 or something like that... Long time ago since I bought mine.

So sorry, but that’s no “holy grail” or something like that at all and also not new…

Cheers!
Luke
Thanks Luke. That's good to know, although I was hoping that Lotus had left more development features in their software release.

There are J2534 devices available these days for $100-$200. The expense it worth it to me just to get an OE image to poke around. If Lotus had a T6e dev kit, I would buy it.

donour

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
It is "Because some of us are difficult and we need a non-standard tune" that they don't offer it. Lotus doesn't want you to call them after you've botched up the car, not less disabled or modified legally required setting such as emissions.
nce the ysel a feature to allow modifications they're liable for whot you can do with it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thanks Luke. That's good to know, although I was hoping that Lotus had left more development features in their software release.

There are J2534 devices available these days for $100-$200. The expense it worth it to me just to get an OE image to poke around. If Lotus had a T6e dev kit, I would buy it.

donour
A while back an OE binary was posted for the Elise. I'm not sure which calibration ID it was, but someone got their hands on it and actually posted it on the forums.

Charlie, as well as some others, actually had some nice discussions on it including some chats on the disassembly of some pieces.

Unfortunately I tried for a few minutes last night to dig that thread back up but couldn't find it :(

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Speaking from experience here, if it were that easy, everyone would be doing... just say'n...

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
^ No sweat. Just send me data and preferably OBD2 data of the dyno pull...

Drop me an email and I'll make sure that you get the correct data to us to fine-tune...

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It most certainly isn't *that* easy. I did not intend to say that at all. This type of stuff IS in-fact my day job, and I will be the first to admit I don't think I could pull it off... and even if I could I certainly wouldn't be trying to crack an Evora ECU. That's a lot of work for almost no ownership base. A BRZ/FRS or something... now that's more promising.

In any case it takes a very good working knowledge of electronics, control theory, engine control, and most importantly someone VERY good with assembly/dis-assembly and machine code. Then there is the whole deal of how to flash the binary to the ECM. In the case of Charlie (and I think VF still does it this way) they basically just come in with a BDM JTAG tool and flash it down. That will certainly work. Although I am not familiar with the layout, let alone processor used in the Evora to say if something like this would be easy enough to achieve.

Otherwise the more elegant way is to use a pass-through to flash a new calibration down. Sure if you can crack that portion of the ECM code you are good to go... otherwise that is where this tool plus an off-the-shelf cable would come in. I don't *think* that it would allow to flash just any old binary but again I would be curious to see what Lotus provides.... and just thinking aloud here, but if one was smart enough to hack the ECM, I would think they may be smart enough to hack the Lotus software to accept whatever binary they want?!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It most certainly isn't *that* easy. I did not intend to say that at all. This type of stuff IS in-fact my day job, and I will be the first to admit I don't think I could pull it off... and even if I could I certainly wouldn't be trying to crack an Evora ECU. That's a lot of work for almost no ownership base. A BRZ/FRS or something... now that's more promising.

In any case it takes a very good working knowledge of electronics, control theory, engine control, and most importantly someone VERY good with assembly/dis-assembly and machine code. Then there is the whole deal of how to flash the binary to the ECM. In the case of Charlie (and I think VF still does it this way) they basically just come in with a BDM JTAG tool and flash it down. That will certainly work. Although I am not familiar with the layout, let alone processor used in the Evora to say if something like this would be easy enough to achieve.

Otherwise the more elegant way is to use a pass-through to flash a new calibration down. Sure if you can crack that portion of the ECM code you are good to go... otherwise that is where this tool plus an off-the-shelf cable would come in. I don't *think* that it would allow to flash just any old binary but again I would be curious to see what Lotus provides.... and just thinking aloud here, but if one was smart enough to hack the ECM, I would think they may be smart enough to hack the Lotus software to accept whatever binary they want?!
These a good points, although I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. I am just interested in the pass-through software so I can apply factory updates if I need to.

To follow up, Lotus USA was very helpful and responsive about my problem on friday. I'm pretty happy so far, although I don't have the software.

donour

1 - 20 of 26 Posts