The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the dream of racing an Esprit someday in the future and doing research once in a while, i could not resist the "buy in now" button when the former Sportscarworld Esprit S1 racecar came up for sale at ebay.com. After some arrangements the Esprit S1 arrived from the USA here in the Netherlands. Which process was less difficult than i expected it to be. Idea is to give it a good check, some adjustments to bring it to modern safety standards, and if all goes well do some races in historic championships.
As the history of the car is a bit unclear, other than that allegedly has raced SCCA championships in the early 80s, I'd love any info that people might have about it.
Only thing i know so far is that it was build around 1980 by the late Frank Bertrang of Sportscarworld, and was bought by James Pirtle of Tyler TX.
But I have no pictures of anything of the car running anywhere in the past.

·
Administrator
1,558 Posts
Welcome to LT awesome car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Hamai-san,

I talked with Richard South of Regogo Racing, but he was not aware of the car. I will also check with Peter, thanks

Regards
Jaap

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congrats on this fine purchase! The more Esprit's running around on race tracks the better. 😃🥰 Looking forward to updates on your progress, especially any racing ventures.

Wondering if Doc Bundy, who won the championship driving X180R's, would have any insight on this car. Not sure of the best way to contact him but it looks like he does have a Twitter acct:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but the Twitter account is not really active. I also found Doc Bundy is racing with Regogo Racing in historic championships.

Another idea is to look via historic racing organisations and tracks or look for foto material of SCCA races in Dallas area. I guess the CP on the side of the car stands for a class in the SCCA regulations. So far I only found Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, Green Valley Raceway and Texas World Speedway as tracks used in that area around 1980. Are there any historic racing organisations who could possibly have historic data from these times.

·
Registered
813 Posts
CP stands for C Production if you would like to review the car building requirements at the SCCA web site. The rules may have changed a lot since the Esprit ran?

The two largest historic racing organizations in the US are (to the best of my knowledge):
  • SVRA and,
  • HSR

·
Registered
170 Posts
My S2 Europa ran in E Production, I think the Europa Twin Cams were D Prod, so it makes sense the Esprit was C Prod. That was in the 1980's, not sure they even have those classes in current SCCA racing.

Vintage racing organizations also include VSCCA, VDCA, VSCDA, VARA, and VRG.

There's always an outside chance that the actual SCCA could have records:

The car would have had an SCCA log book, I guess you did not receive that with the purchase?

This site has some historical info but on initial review I didn't see your car:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some very nice info from the International Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen (International Motor Racing Research Center | IMRRC)
The car was driven by Dennis W. Hackler under ownership by James Pirtle, in the SCCA twice. The first time at Texas World Speedway on the 4th of July in 1981. It had teething issues as with any new racecar. Then the 2nd time they raced it at GSW, which stood for Great Southwest circuit which was made up of the runways of the old Ft. Worth Airport. That time the car overheated and damaged the rings.

Picture of the car running at TWS

·
Registered
396 Posts
Back then?....no idea....these days?....for sure. What I'm getting at is these days an SCCA car will have it's logbook number stamped somewhere on the roll bar...maybe near the inspection hole. If you can find that number, that would be great info to tell an SCCA Tech inspector

1 - 11 of 11 Posts