The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched the Forum first, and didn't see any info. My wife and I are both fairly tall (I'm 6'2", she's 5'9"), and I've heard that Lotus Esprit models may be a challenge for taller folk. I also have read that cars during the S4S generation corrected that. Can I get some feedback from tall Esprit owners? I really want to buy one, but we DO need to fit inside... LOL... Thank you in advance.

·
S4s
697 Posts
Check to see if there is a local Lotus club. You might be able to find one that you can try sitting in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’m 6’ even and fit in my ‘91 SE without problem so no issues for your better half. Having said that if I added another two inches I’d likely have either an issue with the pedals or my head would be right at the roof, depending on whether or not those two inches were in my upper torso or my legs. There are several owners here on the forum your height or taller. Some have issues, others don’t. Clearly depends on your specific build and where those inches are located.

I haven’t sat in an S4 so no idea if there were any changes made to help taller drivers. Maybe different seats or something? Really not sure what they could have done since the chassis and body are pretty much unchanged from the SE to the S4 as far as I know. I would definitely recommend you try and sit in one first before handing over a wad of cash.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hi @JerGervasi , I am also 6' and fitted comfortably into an SE .. I say comfortably but maybe a touch snug as i have long legs .. To enjoy the Esprit more I modified the seat mounts by removing the 1/2'' alloy spacer. This helped a bit .. However the later S4 and S4s models had what Lotus refer to as the bigger cabin space .. In fact it is a touch wider with the center backbone being slightly narrowed .. This made allowances for the wide seat to be fitted .. As for length ,they are the same ..... 'but with more room .. !!!!'. The extra room is due to the change in design of the peddle box .. This allowed the peddles to sit closer to the front bulkhead , in turn providing more leg room ... Win Win , or maybe not .. As we all know there is always a trade off.. The new peddle box design Incorporated a shorter throw on the clutch peddle .. To counter this they installed a larger master cylinder.. The ratio balance was reinstated ....BUT.. the peddle pressure needed greatly increased .. Those that have an SE and jump into an S4 onward's always notice the heavier peddle... But you do get used to it .. The other down side of the design was the Delco-moraine brake pressure/ ABS introduction .. What a bag of crap that was .. OK when working spot on, but still sub standard to the servo system .. In the UK @ian29gte has a conversion system that put that right , so again not all bad .. There are ways to soften the clutch peddle , but too long winded for this post . Hope that helps you commit to trying an Esprit knowing if it does not fit you can always make 'Changes'

·
Registered
1990 Esprit SE
31 Posts
I've heard that Lotus Esprit models may be a challenge for taller folk.
Hi Jer,
They are snug but I'm 6' 1.5" and there's enough room. Legs are the problem. My thighs are close to the underside of the steering wheel. There are a few things I could do if I put my mind to it. Remove the alloy spacers under the seat rails, fit a smaller steering wheel or remove the thick carpet from the back of the seat and firewall to allow the seat to go back another 3/4" You get used to it after a while.
Don't assess the space with the earlier S1's, S2's etc. They are really tight. Deffinately more room in the '88 cars onwards.
Andy.

·
Registered
1987 ESPRIT hci
12 Posts
Jer,
I'm 6'-3" and drive an '87 turbo. I don't know how it compares to the later cars but i am comfortable in it. I have previously owned a Europa and a TVR Grantura, and in comparison, the Esprit is quite roomy. Getting in and out can be challenging and isn't always gracious. I currently have a '69 Elan Plus 2. Its another great lotus to drive and theres tons of room in it.

How you fit will depend on how you are built. My height is in my torso and i made some adjustments to the car. I removed the seat adjusters and bolted them directly to the floor. I had the seats re-upholstered and had an inch of padding removed from the drivers seat. I now have an 1-1/2" clearance to the roof. I also replaced the stock steering wheel to help with egress.

The only problem i have is that my left shin rubs on the bottom of the bottom of the dash when using the clutch. To remedy this, i remove the fuse box cover.

Like the others have said, find one and try it on for size. If it fits, its well worth it.

IMG_4482.JPG

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,860 Posts
where are you located
That is the key! Find another nearby owner and 'try one on'...see how your comfort level is. (Where is Shelby American these days? TX or Cali?) Tell us and we can recommend a local club.

Bodies are different, even if height is the same. Long torsos, long legs, long arms..they all make a difference.

The '93 1/2-on (with body colored door handles) had 'sunken', lower-mounted seats, accommodated by changes in the floor pan. They had wider-opening doors.
Some owners have removed the seat tracks (but if you AND SWMBO are going to share the enjoyment, that might not work for you). Others have fitted removable steering wheels.

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
66 Posts
I don't have an S4S, I've read there's supposidly more room in them than the earlier models. I'm 6'.
If I sit as tall as possible I have a fingers width between my head and the removable panel. But sitting more naturally I have 2 or 3 fingers of room.
The steering wheel placement is perfect and the pedal distances are perfect. I have size 10.5 feet and the pedal box is a little cramped, but I can still heel toe in it with normal shoes.
Getting in and out isn't a problem at all. I get out of sports cars differently than most people though. To save on bolster wear I roll out and place my outside hand on the door sil so I don't touch the bolsters while exiting. It works very well in the Esprit.

My brother is 6'4" and he's just too tall for the car. He can physically drive it, but he has to crane his neck to do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im 6'1 and fit inside my S4S with no problem. At 6'2 you will be good. The seat will be all the way back.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
I drive an 87 Giugiaro Esprit. I’m 5’11” and had 1-2 fingers width between head and roof on my late 88 Stevens Esprit. My friend is 6’ 5” and sitting in passenger seat he had also 1-2 fingers head clearance. Clearly my long torso and big head ( I used the largest helmet in track class - 2X) just barely gets me in. Surprisingly the 87 Giugiaro Esprit seems same or better than the late 88 Stevens Esprit for me; the fixed seat back allows me to see most of the dashboard.

Bottom line as others have said, you need to sit in one just to make sure. Also I have size 12 shoes and have to be conscious of wearing the correct shoe; no wide sole running shoes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you ALL for your input. I am 6'2', 270 lbs, and I want to just jump in (after my struggle from being a 260lb. fatass) and be able to see straight out the windshield! I don't know when I'm going to be buying one, but I REALLY appreciate the advice.
where are you located
Las Vegas, NV

·
Administrator
1,510 Posts
I went thru similar issues when looking for an Elise. I went to C&C and the guys let me sit in seat to see if I fit and was comfortable. One trusting soul thru his keys to me and we went for a drive. I still fit but it was tight. Funny after purchasing my Elise and doing all the work on it myself and assuming the Lotus position many times helped me lose 25 lbs and I fit much better now. Driving the Elise is a great "carrot" for weight loss.

Reactions: carbuff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you ALL for your input. I am 6'2', 270 lbs, and I want to just jump in (after my struggle from being a 260lb. fatass) and be able to see straight out the windshield! I don't know when I'm going to be buying one, but I REALLY appreciate the advice.

Las Vegas, NV
Well, there is no "jumping" in and out of a Esprit :) Its more of a duck, scootch, slide move than anything else ;)

·
Registered
1998 Lotus Esprit V8
11 Posts
I'm 6'4" - I make it work. Have to get a little lean going to the inside but otherwise it's good. Drove it 550 miles and didn't feel sore or tight afterward.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I am 6'4" as well. I have to want to be in there. I have made several mods to make it easier. I have posted on the forums if you care to search. I will be posting a major update with a Lotus Elise seat in a the next few weeks. Was able to get another inch so I can fit with a helmet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched the Forum first, and didn't see any info. My wife and I are both fairly tall (I'm 6'2", she's 5'9"), and I've heard that Lotus Esprit models may be a challenge for taller folk. I also have read that cars during the S4S generation corrected that. Can I get some feedback from tall Esprit owners? I really want to buy one, but we DO need to fit inside... LOL... Thank you in advance.
Show me a Lotus product that isn’t a challenge for abnormally tall folks.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Mike Kimberly, MD of Lotus Cars made sure tall people would fit in Lotus under his watch. They also had to carry golf clubs in the boot!

Regards,
Dan

·
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040
49 Posts
My height is 6'2" and 210 lbs.

I currently have a 95 S4s and 79 S2 JPS and able to drive either one. When I was younger also had a 71 & 74 Europa and no problem there.

The issue could be shoe size. My shoes are size 10.5 but driving with no shoes off is easier than sneakers.

-Rich

1 - 20 of 22 Posts