The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Red Lotus Esprit SE
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 SE and my fog lights are inoperable. The switch, relay, lamps, and fuse are all good. I've tracked the fault down to the light green and red wire between the relay and the front harness. I'm guessing that the previous owner hacked the wiring for an alarm. Since I can't seem to find where the fault is in the cabin, is there any issue taking the LGR wire straight from the relay to the front harness and bypassing the section in the cabin?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
I don't see an issue with that, it is a fairly simple circuit (assuming you have checked the ground paths, which are two separate points). I'd suspect that the most likely areas of concern would be melted connectors in the relay harness socket, or poor connections at the FHC (Front Harness Connector) or elsewhere.

The circuit diagram below is from a 93.5 Esprit, not sure if that indicates a Revised Harness car or not. You can look up the R.H. VIN number cutoff, or ask here.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I would try to find the fault instead of bypassing it. Bypassing is OK for testing but the problem should be found and fixed because if one connection is no good whatever is causing the problem could affect other wires especially if the problem is corrosion in a plug. Very often a problem like this is just a wire connector "backing" out of position in a plug so inspect everything carefully. I recently had a similar problem with my high beams. The hi-lo beams did not light when I went to high beams (the high beams did!). Just a wire backing out of the relay block. Once found, a simple fix. Can take a while to find it though!
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1993 Red Lotus Esprit SE
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info carbuff. My ground paths are fine. If I jumper the LGR wire from the under side of the relay socket over to the FCH, the lights work. Jtrealty, the fault has to be between where the LGR wire passes through the firewall and passes up through the inner fender well. Access is the issue. I have the binnacle off and still can't find where the wire leads after it passes through the firewall. I found a couple of small LGR wires near the steering column, but they appear to be of a smaller gauge and too numerous. I do agree with you about trying not to bypass anything. When I got the car, the PO had improvised a horn button, simply because the steering wheel buttons didn't work. I was able to thankfully get new buttons at JAE and behold I now have a properly sorted horn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts