The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Abby:

Since this is a brand new model for Lotus, is that why it is so secretive? :shrug:

I believe they are going to introduce it in July, so are there no completed production Ethos yet? I mean, say there are 5 completed test mules out there, there is not one creditable unmasked photo out there? Seems strange. Are they still making changes with three months to introduction? When will we see our first true picture of this car? At the unveiling? When is this car going into production? If soon, then wouldn't all the molds already be built with possible test clams sitting around, or maybe they destroy them right away if there are issues? Maybe they are trying to build anticipation, but did they do any market research (so we might know where they are headed), or did they just build the car in a windowless room and assume we will all love it???? Wheren't they also going to introduce one piece of the car each day? What happened with that?

I guess my anticipation is turning into aggravation and needed to vent.

I admit that I don't follow other auto companies release timings, but I believe they usually do have proto-types at auto shows to guage interest or hint at design possibilities. Maybe the Ethos is an extended M250??? :clap:

Impatient, miss-informed, aggrevated, possible future Ethos owner

·
Registered
347 Posts
But the car will definitely be revealed in July at the London motor show. Car manufacturers typically do not reveal plans of upcoming models. There are several spy shots of the full car in "costume" Car will be ready shortly on sale in Europe first then the States.

It will be a 2 + 2 with very small rear seats. Midmounted engine v6 sourced from toyota. ecu tuned by Lotus. Similarities to the m250 yes in the looks department.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
My guess is their trying to build anticipation. As for market research, I suppose Lotus feels if you love the looks of the Elise and M250, then you'll love the Eagle. As for the engine, I don't think there was much of a choice on available donors to do a market study.

But I share your frustration.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Since this is a brand new model for Lotus, is that why it is so secretive?

To make a huge impact when the car is revealed in July.

I believe they are going to introduce it in July, so are there no completed production Ethos yet?

Well chances are the camo cars you see are pre-production mules testing suspension settings, tire/wheel combos/ weather testing etc. They were probably built on a pre production line. Since the car will not be available at you local dealers the same day as it is introduced to the public at the British Motor Show and they are probably finalizing the settings and specifications of equipment on the car per the aforementioned testing, one can assume that production cars will be built mid to late summer.

I mean, say there are 5 completed test mules out there, there is not one creditable unmasked photo out there? Seems strange.

Not really. Lotus has it's own test track and has internal capabilities to develop the car in house. Therefore no cars will be running around where spy photographers can snap them. Besides, do you really think that all those shots are done by guys hiding in trees on the side of back country German roads that by chance are able to catch a glimpse of a future car as it flys by at 80mph?

Are they still making changes with three months to introduction?

See above. Likely limited to option packages, pricing and maybe a few suspension settings.

When will we see our first true picture of this car? At the unveiling?

Yes. Maybe a day or two before if some a$$ decides to break embargo.

When is this car going into production?

After the introduction in July

If soon, then wouldn't all the molds already be built with possible test clams sitting around, or maybe they destroy them right away if there are issues?

the molds are probably completed.

Maybe they are trying to build anticipation, but did they do any market research (so we might know where they are headed), or did they just build the car in a windowless room and assume we will all love it????

Yes to the first part. They have consulted dealers and individuals close to the brand. Remember that this is not Ford and they will not be doing opinion viewings with the general public. That said, they did hold a meeting a couple years back at a LOG at which they did show concepts for the next Esprit.

Wheren't they also going to introduce one piece of the car each day? What happened with that?

Never heard that one.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
So I wonder if they are doing any Lotus track days/factory tours from now to July in Hethel ??? Or is the Ethos made in Malayasia ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dear Abby:

Since this is a brand new model for Lotus, is that why it is so secretive? :shrug:...
Just watch how long it is before it's on their web site.:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts