The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, anyone know of any optional pulleys available for the edelbrock supercharger that allows for more boost? Throwing around some ideas in my head and trying to see what has been established as far as power options go. I'd like to see what options are out there if running 100ish octane fuel and looking into more compression and/or more boost.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you turn up the boost, I would think cooling would be an issue with the tight packaging in our cars.
Has anyone ever done cooling testing comparing the Evora with the rear glass VS rear louver?

·
Illegal Alien
5,145 Posts
Hey guys, anyone know of any optional pulleys available for the edelbrock supercharger that allows for more boost? Throwing around some ideas in my head and trying to see what has been established as far as power options go. I'd like to see what options are out there if running 100ish octane fuel and looking into more compression and/or more boost.
first what is your goal level. A number of power increase stages available, and some need to build alone the other first. For example no good pumping in more air without opening exhaust headers to let it out and maybe that alone with a tune (which is optional for headers but would be required for a pulley change) buys you enough. More compression? are you going to belief a new engine with forged crank and pistons just to maxout your gearbox? Bottom line, are you wanting 450Hp, 500 or 600??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first what is your goal level. A number of power increase stages available, and some need to build alone the other first. For example no good pumping in more air without opening exhaust headers to let it out and maybe that alone with a tune (which is optional for headers but would be required for a pulley change) buys you enough. More compression? are you going to belief a new engine with forged crank and pistons just to maxout your gearbox? Bottom line, are you wanting 450Hp, 500 or 600??
I think the aim for now is 500 hp but am honestly more concerned with torque. It seems there hasn't been as much exploring the 400 as there has been with the elise, any idea how far the gearbox/trans can be pushed? I've just purchased boe catless headers as well as third decat pipe from grp am going to explore options of ecu tune before I install. Also heard komotec has some options but seeing as they are overseas, not sure how that would work. The 2GR-FE has a bit of aftermarket support it seems from mr2 customers would be interesting to see how they have pushed the engine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
DevinOgden - I support your goal 100% and encourage you to push the envelope because inquiring minds want to know! Aim for 600hp and see where that takes you!

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
@DevinOgden You might want to check with Simply Sports Cars in Australia. They have recorded +500HP at the wheels of an Exige V6. Also, check with BOE, I believe they have most of the e
answers you are after.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
228 Posts
I considered this for my old Audi S4 with the supercharged V6 engine- there are several options for a smaller diameter supercharger pulley and a larger diameter crank pulley to increase the speed of the supercharger. As others have pointed out, this would need to be part of an integrated approach- ECU tune, intake and exhaust. With the standard path for the Audi supercharged V6 the pulleys are part of a stage 2+ tune which would be ~500 hp.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Has anyone ever done cooling testing comparing the Evora with the rear glass VS rear louver?
I am not an expert but my guess is that the limitation is in the size/volume of the charge cooler itself, rather than aeration of engine bay. I would be curious to learn from folks that have a lot of time tuning up the 3.5 motor.

·
Illegal Alien
5,145 Posts
I think the aim for now is 500 hp but am honestly more concerned with torque. It seems there hasn't been as much exploring the 400 as there has been with the elise, any idea how far the gearbox/trans can be pushed? I've just purchased boe catless headers as well as third decat pipe from grp am going to explore options of ecu tune before I install. Also heard komotec has some options but seeing as they are overseas, not sure how that would work. The 2GR-FE has a bit of aftermarket support it seems from mr2 customers would be interesting to see how they have pushed the engine.
BOE has worked on a vast number of the Lotus Cup Evora's and has a greta understanding of teh tuning and Cam change effects. the MR2 guys know nothing of the Lotus ECU

·
Registered
540 Posts
Are you looking for 500HP wheel or 500HP crank? I've wondered myself if more boost can be provided by just swapping the SC pulley but it doesn't seem like anyone has tried. I'd suggest checking out the Komotect 460/475 kits as they get your pretty close to 500HP. I believe at anything over 500HP you WILL have cooling issues and potentially transmission and other driveline issues. I have the KT460 kit and the car is more than powerful enough to hang with Corvettes and 911's (non GT). I track mine heavily and haven't run into any issues with reliability other than melting O2 cables :)

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you looking for 500HP wheel or 500HP crank? I've wondered myself if more boost can be provided by just swapping the SC pulley but it doesn't seem like anyone has tried. I'd suggest checking out the Komotect 460/475 kits as they get your pretty close to 500HP. I believe at anything over 500HP you WILL have cooling issues and potentially transmission and other driveline issues. I have the KT460 kit and the car is more than powerful enough to hang with Corvettes and 911's (non GT). I track mine heavily and haven't run into any issues with reliability other than melting O2 cables :)

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
Hmm, so I was under the impression that komotec would only do builds/tunes in shop but seeing that you're in the states I'm curious how that process goes...

Let me know when you have time.
Thanks

·
Loves to talk
1,106 Posts
Maybe we should reacquaint Komotec with the forum to see if anybody over there wants to talk to us? I would assume they'd be eager to do that. My warranty expires in June and I've always said that's when I would explore the possibilities. It's getting on time to put up or shut up. Maybe we can gather some information directly. My interest has been in the 430/435 tune and they look like the only game in town, or out of town for that matter.

I don't see a lot of track time in my future, maybe some play days once in a while so I doubt heat dissipation would be an issue on the street for me but the transmission is a concern based on everything I've absorbed in my time here.

Speaking of warranty expiration, that means I've owned the green lump for three years and been here at least that long. Seems like yesterday. I hate how fastthings get old these days!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe we should reacquaint Komotec with the forum to see if anybody over there wants to talk to us? I would assume they'd be eager to do that. My warranty expires in June and I've always said that's when I would explore the possibilities. It's getting on time to put up or shut up. Maybe we can gather some information directly. My interest has been in the 430/435 tune and they look like the only game in town, or out of town for that matter.

I don't see a lot of track time in my future, maybe some play days once in a while so I doubt heat dissipation would be an issue on the street for me but the transmission is a concern based on everything I've absorbed in my time here.

Speaking of warranty expiration, that means I've owned the green lump for three years and been here at least that long. Seems like yesterday. I hate how fastthings get old these days!
I'm in the same boat with the EV4-435 tune. KomoTech is very responsive via email and seem eager to answer any questions we state side owners have. Their customer service has me wanting to pull the trigger on the 435 tune pretty soon!

·
Loves to talk
1,106 Posts
I'm ready to turn up the wick myself. Maybe I'll write them. As a Mac guy I will either need to beg or buy a PC or get somebody to do it with or for me. I know it sounds silly but the lack of a Mac compatible tune is a hiccup for me as I don't want to buy a computer. It'd be worth an hour or two of mechanic rental time to get the 435 done that way in preference to buying a PC.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Everyone considering a Komotec tune, here's some things to keep in mind:
  • You want to schedule a dyno appointment ahead of time, to get AFR readings and ensure car is running within expected range. I believe KT wants to see AFRs right around 12 but that will be in the instructions you receive.
  • After you get to dyno, strap the car on and do a baseline, you will not be able to connect to the ECU till car cools down. It's an ECU safety feature. KT's software will fail to connect to ECU while its still hot.
  • Which means, you have to plan to wait an hour or two for the car to completely cool down before you can flash the KT tune and do another set of runs to measure new gains and AFR.
  • KT will tell you that you need to go to a 4 wheel dyno where both rollers are spinning. Or the car will cut off around 6700 if it senses only rear wheels spinning.
  • If you do that, keep in mind that the shop will have to take apart a whole lot of underbody panels to get to a safe spot to strap down the front wheels. Budget time for that. I personally would just go to a standard 2 wheel dyno as I don't think you will see much difference in the few hundred rpm you will lose due to safety cutoff, but that's just me.
  • All Evoras and all dynos are different, but post tune, you should see around 385-395 whp and around 340-345 WTQ. This is for their "EV435" software only kit. They underrate the gains and gains are at WHP, not crank.
It's easy to get tripped up with dyno appointments if you don't know this ahead of time. So sharing this as a heads up.

Post tune, you will immediately feel it in the butt dyno. You will also feel a very nice torque fill between shifts, so upshifts even at mid range RPMs will feel a lot smoother. I am sure the HP benefits are great, but just the torque benefits are worth the price of admission of KT tune, in an everyday car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everyone considering a Komotec tune, here's some things to keep in mind:
  • You want to schedule a dyno appointment ahead of time, to get AFR readings and ensure car is running within expected range. I believe KT wants to see AFRs right around 12 but that will be in the instructions you receive.
  • After you get to dyno, strap the car on and do a baseline, you will not be able to connect to the ECU till car cools down. It's an ECU safety feature. KT's software will fail to connect to ECU while its still hot.
  • Which means, you have to plan to wait an hour or two for the car to completely cool down before you can flash the KT tune and do another set of runs to measure new gains and AFR.
  • KT will tell you that you need to go to a 4 wheel dyno where both rollers are spinning. Or the car will cut off around 6700 if it senses only rear wheels spinning.
  • If you do that, keep in mind that the shop will have to take apart a whole lot of underbody panels to get to a safe spot to strap down the front wheels. Budget time for that. I personally would just go to a standard 2 wheel dyno as I don't think you will see much difference in the few hundred rpm you will lose due to safety cutoff, but that's just me.
  • All Evoras and all dynos are different, but post tune, you should see around 385-395 whp and around 340-345 WTQ.
It's easy to get tripped up with dyno appointments if you don't know this ahead of time. So sharing this as a heads up.

Post tune, you will immediately feel it in the butt dyno. You will also feel a very nice torque fill between shifts, so upshifts even at mid range RPMs will feel a lot smoother. I am sure the HP benefits are great, but just the torque benefits are worth the price of admission of KT tune, in an everyday car.
About to pull the trigger on the ev4-475 kt tune. I'd like to explore messing with engine internals in the future but this will satiate for now. Thanks for all the awesome tips.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm ready to turn up the wick myself. Maybe I'll write them. As a Mac guy I will either need to beg or buy a PC or get somebody to do it with or for me. I know it sounds silly but the lack of a Mac compatible tune is a hiccup for me as I don't want to buy a computer. It'd be worth an hour or two of mechanic rental time to get the 435 done that way in preference to buying a PC.
As a mac owner you do have the ability to load windows from a USB and have a dual boot system. Let me know if you are interested and I can help you out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts