1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Well, that's what Lotus thinks: 22/07/08 - Beautiful, functional and fun; the new green sportscar from Lotus » Lotus

"The vital accessory for the modern woman is the new, seductive sportscar from Lotus."

"It’s a car for girls who want to have serious, sophisticated fun and the instant antidote to the stresses everyday life throws at today’s professional, stylish woman."

Looks like that is a specific press release for a women's magazine called Female Lifestlye and addressing the car as it could or would relate to successful women ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
In the UK, I have seen females driving the Elise. Some there say it is a 'hair dressers' car. So would that make the Evora the head hair dresser's car?

In the US, I just don't see females buying this car. Five to ten percent of sales to females would be about the most I could ever imagine. Hopefully Lotus sells the 2,000 and more to whomever; all the better for me to try to pick up a used on someday.

Yep. It's called widening the base.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
In the US, I just don't see females buying this car.
Why not? Because the Esprit isn't bought by many women? Because the hard as stink to get in/out of Elise isn't? Because the track oriented Exige isn't?

Lotus is trying to appeal to a much wider range of customers with the Evora. That's why it is really a different car. MJK at 6'4" is comfortable getting in and out and sitting in the Evora.

If Lotus wants to expand their customer base they have to advertise in women's magazines and show them why it is a good car for women, etc. I really hope it becomes a "lady's car." That way I could buy one and blame it on trying to provide for the wife and daughters :D.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Nothing wrong with advertising the car to women(no- it won't make it a sissy car). More women need to be aware of how fun it can be to drive a Lotus. Many women in America are not even aware of what a Lotus is- it's time to educate them.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Many women in America are not even aware of what a Lotus is- it's time to educate them.
...i'm not sure whether trading twelve-to-sixteen-year-old boys for twelve-to-sixteen-year-old girls fawning over the car is necessarily a safe thing...

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I'm so supersaturated with manliness that I can carry a purse, drive a Lotus, and still not lower the car's over-all manly image.. :cool:
That explains the hair on your back rotfl

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I swear here in LA about every other Porsche on the road is driven by a 40 something woman in a power suit, Hollywood industry type. Not kidding at all, easily over %50 of the Porsches here in LA are driven by women, this includes the Carrera S, 4S etc. Actually more than %50 for Carreras, I would say about %65 of Carrera drivers I see daily are women. And I must see 15-20 Porsches on my way to work every morning.
Oddly I would say more men drive the Boxters than women, Boxters seem to be about %80 male drivers....

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I swear here in LA about every other Porsche on the road is driven by a 40 something woman in a power suit, Hollywood industry type. Not kidding at all, easily over %50 of the Porsches here in LA are driven by women, this includes the Carrera S, 4S etc. Actually more than %50 for Carreras, I would say about %65 of Carrera drivers I see daily are women. And I must see 15-20 Porsches on my way to work every morning.
Oddly I would say more men drive the Boxters than women, Boxters seem to be about %80 male drivers....
+1

When working at BH Porsche, I noticed plenty of women driving Porsche's and I'd say that 90% of them were driving 911's with the majority of men driving Boxsters or Caymans :shrug:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Targeted marketing does NOT make the object something for that market exclusively, not even perception. That requires other elements. If the car was pink with Hello Kitty on it, and they included a flower bud vase, and it was offered with only an automatic.. then it might be seen as a girl car.

But this car? It will be fine. It will be seen as a Lotus.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Yeah, but what do you think about her hairy boyfriend?

xtn
rotfl They were meant for each other.

Targeted marketing does NOT make the object something for that market exclusively, not even perception. That requires other elements. If the car was pink with Hello Kitty on it, and they included a flower bud vase, and it was offered with only an automatic.. then it might be seen as a girl car.

I just don't want it to fall to the same label the Miata has as being a girly car. The name already sounds like some kind of makeup/perfume line.

Note: I don't think the Miata is girly. It's just perceived that way by some...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The people that worry about the Miata being called a girly car are frankly idiots. Real car guys know it is a hairdresser's car.

Just kidding... but any sports car that is cute and underpowered can tend to fall into that category. But this is a bit more expensive, so it will be perceived as appealing to people that GET IT. And really.. the people that worry too much about what mostly non-car guys say about the Miata are silly.

Its not like it is some VW Cabriolet.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Like when the VW Beetle hit the market again with it's girly flower holder on the dash?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts