·
Registered
2021 Lotus Evora GT 410 Sport
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
538 Posts
I know the Evora 400s sold about 330-350 units per year. So even if the GT sales are higher, it still has to be very small numnbers?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know the Evora 400s sold about 330-350 units per year. So even if the GT sales are higher, it still has to be very small numnbers?
I pulled up several dealers sites. They are still sitting on new unsold GTs for a number of months.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
They don't mention units, only percentage increases? If I sold 1 last year, and 2 this year, that means sales are up 100%? 2017 and 2018 U.S. sales figures? This thread says 2017 (so only the Evora 400 in the US) 156 units, and for 2018, 168 units. There were no MY'19s, but they were still selliing '18s and probably some '17s. Let's say they sold 100 units in 2019? It also doesn't say how many were sold in 2020, just that sales in the first 6 months of 2021 were 121% higher. Let's say another 100 in 2020? So that's 221 so far in 2021? It's hard to say with any authority. But if they sell 2,000 Emira's in 2022, and 3,000 in 2023, we'll have to discontinue the "spotted in ___" threads, because they'll get updated all the time!

·
Registered
18 Posts
194% as a number still means they sold at least 16 or 17 that month last year (just playing with what is divisible and could come close to those numbers), so not something ridic like 2 or 3 units.

Are dealers cutting prices more aggressively now with the Emira announcement?

·
Registered
2021 Lotus Evora GT 410 Sport
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are dealers cutting prices more aggressively now with the Emira announcement?
I don't think so.....because for the next 2-3 years, whatever type of Emira you take it will be no real substitute for the last true Lotus, the Evora GT.......

·
Loves to talk
1,431 Posts
From the article: "leading Evora GT sales during the first half of the year to be 121% higher than 2020. Overall, Evora GT sales in the USA, January to June inclusive, surpassed the full year total for 2020."

This comes as no surprise to me. It was apparent as the board took on new members much faster than it had previously. These are minuscule numbers as we all have noted but any sales organization that sees a (single) year over year increase of 120 percent is going to be dancing. Since the base line is 2020, we can assume that more GTs were sold than the last year or two of 400s. Based on jut 200 cars sold in 2020 (I bet there were more) that would mean somewhere around 450 GTs have been "sold" in 2021. It all depends on how many 2020s were sold according to the metrics but the Evora has picked up steam in the last four years, almost all of it in this last year. That's obvious just from the traffic on the forum. Any dealer (that isn't a marginal operation) who still has a GT in stock will be motivated to sell it now assuming its floored (financed stock). But if they own it, there's little motivation to sell it cheap because there are very few left and the rap ("influencer") seems to be that the Evora is the last of the purest Lotus.

Whatever else the Emira is, it isn't nearly as simple and direct by design.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there an intrinsic reason why the Emira can't just have a later trim to be just as or even more focused of a car than the Evora GT?
It still has hydraulic steering, double wishbone suspension, the option for a SC'd V6 engine paired with a manual, and light weight (and since the C8 gets compared to a lot, it still has direct hydraulic brake control lol). Softer rubber bushings are easy to swap to sphericals. A lot of weight was added due to luxuries like speakers and nicer interior, which Lotus could trim down later on.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Is there an intrinsic reason why the Emira can't just have a later trim to be just as or even more focused of a car than the Evora GT?
It still has hydraulic steering, double wishbone suspension, the option for a SC'd V6 engine paired with a manual, and light weight (and since the C8 gets compared to a lot, it still has direct hydraulic brake control lol). Softer rubber bushings are easy to swap to sphericals. A lot of weight was added due to luxuries like speakers and nicer interior, which Lotus could trim down later on.
They are quoting 3100 lbs for the base Emira. Even heavier trims are only going to be what, 200 lbs heavier? That's still a light car. Evoras are 3100 lbs.

I think this whole "Emira is heavy and Evora is the last pure Lotus" storyline is unwarranted. Emira will still be a light and great car and hopefully better built.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Right, and that's DIN curb weight, with 75kg for driver/luggage. It's 2926 lbs curb weight without driver/luggage. The Evora GT itself is 3175 lbs (maybe even more?).

That's 249 lbs of headroom for additional engine/transmission/aero/cooling etc while keeping the Emira lighter.

You might think the V6 combo would weigh a lot more, but I think it's going to be under a 100 lb jump in weight.
The service weight on a 2GR is under 400 lbs. Barely more than the Mercedes AMG 4-cyl. And DCTs are generally heavier than manuals. Not sure how much a supercharger weighs, but can't be much more than 50.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good lord people. Last true Lotus? One could say that about any prior generation. One may make a claim that the Exige was the last true Lotus. Or the Esprit! Reminds me of all the moaning when Porsche went water cooled lol. Nobody knows anything about what the Emira will actually be like compared to an Evora other than some stats and a few PR videos. Let's wait until the real road test come out - I am hopeful. The one prediction that I feel confident in - it looks like the Emira is being built to appeal to a broader audience, which should help sales. Most people don't care about a car's heritage - they want it to look good, go fast, be comfortable, have good nav/electronics, and not give them reliability headaches. Lotus is heading in the right direction as a car company IMHO - which hopefully will expand their dealer network, which is their biggest issue.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Loves to talk
1,431 Posts
They are quoting 3100 lbs for the base Emira. Even heavier trims are only going to be what, 200 lbs heavier? That's still a light car. Evoras are 3100 lbs.

I think this whole "Emira is heavy and Evora is the last pure Lotus" storyline is unwarranted. Emira will still be a light and great car and hopefully better built.
Nobody wanted the "purest Lotus" until they discontinued it. Anyway, the Elise and Exige guys will be laughing every time somebody says the Evora is the most distilled Lotus experience. It wasn't distilled enough for many of them so it has always lived in the nether world between hard core and touring. Which for me has been a great place since I enjoy driving holidays in mine but maybe that's not for everybody. If the Emira and the 400 had both been available in 2017 when I bought my car, I would have gone for it over the 400. What's changed has been the reality/experience of owning the Evora. It has changed my opinion about what is important in a sports car. I don't care about power seats, but want comfort and support. But I would still want the better sound system, (presuming it will be) and the safety features. I don't care about radar assisted cruise but I'd like blind spot monitors on any new car. Better fit and finish is always a plus. So even today, I'd have the Emira but at the same time it would be hard to talk me out of the Evora. I'm hoping they are different and feel different enough that I could justify owning both.

·
Loves to talk
1,431 Posts

Assuming they do an Emira GT, which it's easy to predict they will, it will have an available CF package. On my 400 swapping out the hatch for CF was worth almost 40 pounds. Who needs glass? I'd guess the roof is less important but there are a few more pounds to shed there. Lithium battery, light forged wheels and voila although after that it starts to hurt. Hard core is the original; 430, no radio, no AC, no sound deadening. I want all that stuff but they could perhaps qualify a tune like the 430s. We both know for a fact that the KT tunes work and clear state emission requirements . They give 45-50HP and a like amount of torque. And it seems to me the drivetrain doesn't care. That would be a hot car, and I'll be there for the first edition of that. It could get to $100K and I'd think it competitive.

Another big one for the Emira will be that it will sell in numbers sufficient to see healthy after market support with all that implies. Evoras will remain forever rare. I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Another big one for the Emira will be that it will sell in numbers sufficient to see healthy after market support with all that implies. Evoras will remain forever rare. I'm ok with that.
We are on the same page.

Emira will still be VERY rare. Think about it. They sell <350 Evoras per year in the US. Even if they sell 5 times more Emiras, that's still only 1500 cars per year. Porsche sells 1500 911s every month. I bet even Ferrari/Lambo/Rolls/Bentley sell more than 1500 cars a year, making the Emira still ultra rare.

Now you could argue with my 5x Evora sales number. Sure. But I don't think that just because Lotus has a new car they are going to sell 50x. It will still be a very small number.

Dallas - one of America's big cities - still doesnt have a Lotus dealer. Its a home made type of company and that will take a decade of strong sales to change, not just the promise of a new car. Meaning us Lotus owners and loyalists don't have to worry about brand dilution for quite a while yet.

·
Loves to talk
1,431 Posts
It does sound like they'll be production limited for a while. Good for them. I am however going to add something new to my signature. It's gonna be something like "Support your local Evora. Make Lotus Make Parts."

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
We are on the same page.

Emira will still be VERY rare. Think about it. They sell <350 Evoras per year in the US. Even if they sell 5 times more Emiras, that's still only 1500 cars per year. Porsche sells 1500 911s every month. I bet even Ferrari/Lambo/Rolls/Bentley sell more than 1500 cars a year, making the Emira still ultra rare.

Now you could argue with my 5x Evora sales number. Sure. But I don't think that just because Lotus has a new car they are going to sell 50x. It will still be a very small number.

Dallas - one of America's big cities - still doesnt have a Lotus dealer. Its a home made type of company and that will take a decade of strong sales to change, not just the promise of a new car. Meaning us Lotus owners and loyalists don't have to worry about brand dilution for quite a while yet.
Park Place no longer a Lotus Dealer in Dallas?? They used to be, test drove some new Evora's there.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I recall seeing somewhere that only ~250 Evora GTs were shipped in 2020 and a similar fig would be shipped in 2021. I’ll try and find where I saw that.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
We might be seeing the difference between "produced" and "sold." The thread I linked to earlier provided a report from a commercial data source which includes only sold cars. Xxaarraa provided information from their CoP which stated a higher number as sold. Is it possible the CoP reports on cars produced? How would they know how many are sold, especially as prior years models are often still available? Although, perhaps like Ferrari, "sold" means sold to a dealer - which is why their Ferrari's new models are always reported as sold out even before they are assigned a name - they know they are going to sell everyone of whatever it is to a dealer. So, if 350 cars are produced and sold to dealers, but there are still 1 or 2 at each of the roiughly 30-ish delears, the figure we think of as sold might be 280, for example. All speculation.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,397 Posts
I added to the list today when I bought this. I pick her up in a few hours.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts