The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another oil change thread…as I was reading through the Evora GT maintenance schedule, I came across the following:

Important maintenance intervals for a Lotus sports car are as follows: Oil changes every 7,500 miles or six months under normal conditions. Oil changes every 4,000 miles or six months under special conditions”

Every 6 months!? Does anyone follow that recommendation? I was thinking once every 12 months was pushing it, even if you track your car. My last oil change was 2,000 miles ago and I’m wondering if I should change it soon as I may have a track day in my future.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've always gone strictly by milage and not by age unless there's an extreme circumstance such as a car sitting for 3+ years. I can't imagine today's highly engineered engine oils going bad in 6 months. I try to do every 6,000 because I only put on about 3,000 a year.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always gone strictly by milage and not by age unless there's an extreme circumstance such as a car sitting for 3+ years. I can't imagine today's highly engineered engine oils going bad in 6 months. I try to do every 6,000 because I only put on about 3,000 a year.
That’s what I’m saying. I felt like every 6 months in todays day and age is crazy overkill

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
810 Posts
If it was an exotic engine I'd say maybe do the 6 month.. but at the end of the day it's just a Toyota Camry engine. Maybe a Ferrari, Maserati, McLaren etc if worry about the 6 month thing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't guess. Take an oil sample and send it to BlackStone Labs. They will send a detailed report on oil condition and engine condition. You can decide to follow the recommendation or set your own schedule based on the analysis.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My 2010 manual says once a year. In general every motor oil is not so good a year after the first heat cycle. I do about 3k a year, and once a year I do motor oil and clutch/brakes fluid at the same time. Now 72k miles, and everything works like a … Toyota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Annually every fall before I put to bed,,regardless of # of track days. Total none issue. Did analysis once after ~10track days years ago and oil was still like 75%.......they are looking for ways to keep the service dept. Motor has never burned ANYTHING annually
Hell, even Maserati on an F136 recommends biannual and 12500 miles. Just absorb that for a minute v a Toyo motor. I will do it this fall after ~8K because it will have 3 track days on it as well.

·
Administrator
13,468 Posts
Annually for me for engine oil and BF. Every other year for gearbox.

Reactions: TJBNJ and brgelise

·
Supporting Vendor
159 Posts
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

This is from the service sheet as per Lotus. 4500 miles under "special conditions"

For normal driving 9k miles or 1 year recommended.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i plan to do my first change this and every fall. I track 12-15 times a year.

There is a YouTube DIY out there for the S. I assume it’s the same for the 400z
the 400 is easy, I did my GT last year and will do it before it goes away for the winter. Get the MotivX filter wrench and drain tool (or similar), it made it nice and clean. Also need an articulating or long funnel to pour oil in easier. Overall its a straight forward oil change.

Reactions: Lckitty

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Yet another oil change thread…as I was reading through the Evora GT maintenance schedule, I came across the following:

Important maintenance intervals for a Lotus sports car are as follows: Oil changes every 7,500 miles or six months under normal conditions. Oil changes every 4,000 miles or six months under special conditions”

Every 6 months!? Does anyone follow that recommendation? I was thinking once every 12 months was pushing it, even if you track your car. My last oil change was 2,000 miles ago and I’m wondering if I should change it soon as I may have a track day in my future.
I don't race my Evora 400 SC, so I change my oil every 4-5k miles.

·
Registered
566 Posts
the 400 is easy, I did my GT last year and will do it before it goes away for the winter. Get the MotivX filter wrench and drain tool (or similar), it made it nice and clean. Also need an articulating or long funnel to pour oil in easier. Overall its a straight forward oil change.
Speaking of funnels, this is the one I use and others have recommended. Fits right in there perfectly.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,638 Posts
3rd Evora. Drive it in driving season! Change in fall/winter. I do about 8,000 per year.
Don't sweat it, just change between 5k and 10k when it fits your schedule. As said, not exotic and very easy!

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Every 3K or once a year. That goes for all my vehicles.
3k is a waste but feel free.............we don't run Quaker State dino oil anymore either

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I change mine every other year at this point. But last year I only put 300 miles on it, maybe up to 700 this year
On low annual mileage, garaged cars, I've been in that camp for 20+ yrs now.

Reactions: Intern8tion9l
1 - 20 of 21 Posts