The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 2010 lotus into the dealer with the following problems. I have had it about 9mopnths and only put 800 miles on it. It stays full time in the garage. I had to put a letter together for the dealer so I would not forget. Is everyone else having these problems.

A/C – It was about 98 degrees outside and I was in my car pooring sweat. I let it sit and run for about 15 minutes and it never cooled off at all. It will blow cool air out but not cold air as long as it is not to hot outside but I think something is wrong with it.

Alarm and Locks – I had it in a few months ago and when you set the alarm with two clicks it would go off. It now works fine with two clicks but when you only lock the car by clicking the alarm once the alarm continues to go off.

Passenger Window – Since I got the car back from last time the passenger window does not seal correctly when close the door. It is off track and I have press the window in when I close the door to get it to seal correctly. If I do not it leaves on open gap on the back side of the window.
Driver side carpet – The driver side carpet has come out again. You guys tucked it in before but for some reason it keeps coming out.
Rear Trunk lid - When you close the rear trunk it still hits the lip. You guys added a rubber stopper last time but that was not the problem. I think it has something to do with the fabrication of the bumper where it meets the trunk lid.

Headlight – The driver side head lamp is pealing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
?Passenger Window – Since I got the car back from last time the passenger window does not seal correctly when close the door. It is off track and I have press the window in when I close the door to get it to seal correctly. If I do not it leaves on open gap on the back side of the window.

Answer: I had the same problem easy fix. The door lock mechanism has 3 Alan head screws that need to be adjusted. Depending on the alignment problems will depend how you adjust the latch. I worked on mine for 30 minutes and all is fixed. If you're not mechanical have the dealer fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
A/C...My A/C will not turn on and become cold when I press the A/C button, but it works fine when I hit the recirc button. Apparently a fault code can prevent a relay of the signal from the A/C switch to the ECU. Try your recirc button and see if that turns on the A/C.

(Or you may have an entirely different problem.)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I had a similar ac problem. They dealer replaced a part of it.. the condenser or something like that.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Condenser is not well placed, gets frequently killed by stones, apparently made out of thin tin...

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
800 miles in 9 months!!?? Can't get it dialed in if you don't drive it. Worse still you haven't even let seals settle in etc. Drive it!!!!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
What a POS. Sorry, guys. I was seriously considering buying an Evora but life is too short for the BS you've been putting up with.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
What a POS. Sorry, guys. I was seriously considering buying an Evora but life is too short for the BS you've been putting up with.
looks like you have been on the forums enough to know everyone post their problems first. It is much easier to complain than to praise.
I think if you read the forum more closely you will see the praise far exceeds the complaints..

you do yourself a GREAT disservice walking away from one of the best handling cars in the world due to some issues.

Every high performance exotic car has teething problems. Lotus is quickly overcoming problems. Lets hope Lotus can secure an owner that will help it become the great company it once was.

My MY11 Evora has very few minor problems and better fit and finish than the Lambo it was next to in the showroom.

Lots of great cars out there. Choose wisely:shift:

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
Production lines are running and from looks of his pictures, he blew a lot of coin on a Lambo. Everyone knows Lambo has NEVER made a successful entrant in any topshelf series because the cars are too unreliable. We saw that with the Murcielago in ALMS for example. Had to defend the Lotus on this one. When Lambo wins a major series title he can spout off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
3700 miles in six weeks. Not one single problem. Driven very hard , cruising - very hot weather A/C freezes me out. 26,000 miles in my Elise- not one single problem. I have had nothing much to post about because all is well, that may be the case for others as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The ONLY car with comparable performance or better (and I mean the whole package, not just the stats) that is meaningfully more reliable, is a Porsche, and if you are here you have already decided it doesn't do it for you. Notwithstanding the fact that the Lotus has a special characteristic that is hard to put into words and is found in NO other car. Small company, engineering driven, hand made, can never compare with the volume and resources of a large, global car company when it comes to production and quality control. Vote with your money and buy what you want, but very few people posting on this Board will be dissuaded.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Gotta remember too, people are prone to be quiet when things are good, less they curse themselves.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
That's great, and it is the EXPECTED experience.. Those who don't get that should rightfully have a reason to complain. Lotus needs to step up their quality control. People plopping down 80-90K for a car won't put up with the bullsh*t that even econoboxes don't have.

One can argue points about the benefits of robots and high volume production, but the fact that one's econobox has better quality than a car costing 6 times as much is a tough pill to swallow. In fact one could argue that it is more the reason to expect higher quality with hand built cars.. With Lotus, it couldn't be further from the truth.

For a period I was quite embarrassed actually having paid so much for a car that kept having to go back to the shop. 2.5 years later, with a lot of work, I've finally made lemonade (for the most part) out of the lemon I was sold.

Anyway as the 2010's get steeply discounted and more used ones come onto the market, we can expect to read more about the same problems over and over with them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a Feb 2010 that I purchased used with 2k miles on it and have since added another 4k miles. The original owner lemon-lawed the car for the parasitic battery drain, which leads me to believe that the original owner really hassled the dealer to get small items fixed. Additionally I have a simply brilliant dealer who proactively fixes things they know to be issues. I give you my Evora's life story to perhaps explain why to this point (still very early of course) my experience with the Evora has been excellent. Yes, the 2010's had lots of issues (as do most first model year cars), but my experience has been that a good dealer will eliminate those issues for you since they are now known. My dealer actually kept reminding me to bring mine in for the door lock recall, even though it wasn't really affecting me.

Of course if you're one of the unlucky ones that gets a true lemon . . . well you'll just have a tough run of it.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
I have a Feb 2010 that I purchased used with 2k miles on it and have since added another 4k miles. The original owner lemon-lawed the car for the parasitic battery drain, which leads me to believe that the original owner really hassled the dealer to get small items fixed. Additionally I have a simply brilliant dealer who proactively fixes things they know to be issues. I give you my Evora's life story to perhaps explain why to this point (still very early of course) my experience with the Evora has been excellent. Yes, the 2010's had lots of issues (as do most first model year cars), but my experience has been that a good dealer will eliminate those issues for you since they are now known. My dealer actually kept reminding me to bring mine in for the door lock recall, even though it wasn't really affecting me.

Of course if you're one of the unlucky ones that gets a true lemon . . . well you'll just have a tough run of it.
What he said. Mine was new but dealer has always been on top of things. I mentioned, for example , "did they replace the airbag covers when they put the new dash in last year?" Car was in for the SAT issue and i got it back with a complete replacement dash pulled out of a car baking in the lot. They figure let the damaged one bake and replace it once and give the owner the good one. They've done so many that its easy now. Pure logic and I never even asked them to replace it. It is obvious that the newer dashes have less tightly drawn leather.
Moral of story. Pick your battles . Don't be OCD and you'll get cared for. same as in any business.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dealer replaced the headlights on mine under warrenty. But this is why we love the lotus, always something to deal with lol Before you know it you will be replacing your dash because of the airbag cover lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts