The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings all,

After 3 months of waiting for my Larini system to be produced, ceramic coated, and shipped I have finally installed it this friday. What I ordered was the full set. The Larini manifolds, the Larini sports cat that attaches to that, and the Larini valved muffler. The muffler still needs the pre MY2012 silicon mounting bits. However they changed the material on the valve cable so I decided to leave it without heat wrap just to see. If it stops working I don't mind, sound is not a big difference with the valve on or off.

The ceramic coating is fantastic they made it in silver and you will notice the difference in one of the pics between the header pipes being that color and a stainless steel Larini plate on the header with an identification number.

As for the sound, amazing!! When accelerating in an underpass you hear some F1 sounds. Most of the time the sound is a mixture of Nissan GTR and a Ferrari. The downshifts are sensational and the sound just keeps getting louder. When I first drove the car I floored it, I wasn't looking at the RPM but judging from the sound I was sure I was at 6.5k RPM. I take a peek so I don't redline and its still on 4.5k! The above 4.5k the sound just takes your breath away. I guess a good way to put it is to say this is a Japanese engine with an Italian melody but it does have its character. I have a BOE intake, and I seldom hear it. You can tell its there in the background but as a percentage of sound its about 5-10% of the sound whereas when I had the stock exhaust I would easily say the BOE is 70-80% of the sound. Gurgles and pops are plenty but you can't hear them clearly in the vid you can make them out.

The videos, including the gopro one, in no way relays the sound. It gives a taste, but in real life the exhaust note is much more melodic. For the go pro vid, the whole vid is amazing and I push it, but if any of you guys are impatient and want to hear it at its peak its at 2 min and onwards (its a small video anyways). I will take some vids with my iPhone of the start-up, idle, and revs, just can't do it in my garage since its way too loud now and I live in a building. If any of you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. Enjoy!

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Nice sound. Love the clip going through the street with the tall buildings. the echo is amazing

·
Registered
637 Posts
Crikey, that's loud! I'd like to hear it in person if I ever get over to Beirut. :shift:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds amazing! I see you did the Larini manifolds as well. How much do you think adding the Larini manifolds adds to the amazing sound? I was looking to change out the stock system on my 2011N/A. But only planned to do the exhaust and de-cat? Now I'm wondering if I should look into the manifold as well.

·
Illegal Alien
5,352 Posts
None of the manifolds are cheap for this car; 2bular, komotec, Larini, supersprint.. No price yet on upcoming BOE but don't expect it to be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
They are all in the same ballpark for pricing...and don't forget to factor in install labor if you don't DIY.

I would expect the boe to be appropriTely pricier due to the lengthier r&d

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sounds amazing! I see you did the Larini manifolds as well. How much do you think adding the Larini manifolds adds to the amazing sound? I was looking to change out the stock system on my 2011N/A. But only planned to do the exhaust and de-cat? Now I'm wondering if I should look into the manifold as well.
It adds to the sound ALOT. I asked Plack what he thought about it and he told me he thinks it gets a bit louder than his past Plack exhaust past 5.5K RPM. But I need to mention that the loud is not an annoying loud or being loud just for the sake of loud. It has a melody to it, sounds marvelous, and puts a smile on your face. A car like this shouldn't have these crappy inefficient precats! If you go for manifolds though you will need a sports cat in the middle instead of a test pipe. The best thing about this setup is if you cruise its quite similar to stock and very comfy. You push it and its a different story.

Here's another video for you, lots of gurgles at 2+ min and some tunnel action:

They are all in the same ballpark for pricing...and don't forget to factor in install labor if you don't DIY.

I would expect the boe to be appropriTely pricier due to the lengthier r&d
The labour was very expensive, but fortunately I know the owners of the dealership here personally and I got a big discount on it. They did a great job, theres a just occasionally on non-sport mode a rattle from the stock tip, nothing annoying, should be adjusted next time I'm in. I paid for the whole system including shipping from EU to Lebanon around 5100$ (excluding customs and labour charges) and an additional 780$ to have the manifolds and down pipe ceramic coated. For me personally, it was pricey but worth it. They manage to install it without taking the body off. They accessed from the back seats. I really wanna dyno the car but I simply don't have time, will try soon though. The head mechanic who installed it and test drove the car told me it now feels like 400 horsepower with the Larini and BOE. I believe its probably around 380-385 (given the right weather conditions).

·
Registered
638 Posts
If one were to go with the Larini manifold and sports cat, are there bungs for the OBD2 emissions sensors (ie, would this not screw with/cause any check engine lights)?

I have a Larini delete pipe and exhaust already, but if I were to go the Larini manifold route, I believe I would need to swap out the delete pipe for the sports cat.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If one were to go with the Larini manifold and sports cat, are there bungs for the OBD2 emissions sensors (ie, would this not screw with/cause any check engine lights)?

I have a Larini delete pipe and exhaust already, but if I were to go the Larini manifold route, I believe I would need to swap out the delete pipe for the sports cat.
Yes you would need to replace the delete pipe otherwise you would have check engine light. If you purchase the manifolds and the sports cat they are supplied with extra and extended oxygen sensors. I also saw some OBD2 connections in the box with I assume is what your referring to. Elise-shop.com included everything needed for the system without me asking for it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.