The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my laps with instructor Shawn Taylor of the Lotus Driving Academy on the Hethel Test Circuit...

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
oh man that looks soooo cool.
I aleays feel nervous and like a total noob with a instructor in the car. I really need to get some more sport driving classes under my belt. I respect nothing more than a good driver. Nothing is worse than having a performance car and not knowing how to use it.

please disreguard rant below:eek:
I still have know idea why people love doing burnouts. Is there a skill to this? another one is the stop light to stoplight drag race. Just seems like a waste of potential.
Now the guys is the WRC are ultra skilled, but K-razy. Lets go fly down a B road that has not been maintained since WWII at over 100mph. I don't know who is braver, the driver or the copilot:panic:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice track. Academy car?
Yes... below is a photo of Mike Bryant, myself, Greg Linderer, and Martin Donnelly (ex Lotus F1 driver and Academy instructor) in front of one of the Lotus Driving Academy Evoras.

As a prize for winning our classes in last year's Lotus Cup USA, the three of us were invited on a tour of the Lotus factory and Classic Team Lotus facilities, as well as two days of instruction at the Lotus Driving Academy.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
So much history on that track. I have its outline embroidered to the teardrops on the Elise' doors.

Maybe the last place on Earth I'd want to have an off.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Awesome, they were not keen on letting me mount my GoPro when I was there.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, they were not keen on letting me mount my GoPro when I was there.
Each Evora S had a Vbox with two bullet cams installed... and each of us was given a trick USB memory stick with "Lotus Driving Academy" embossed on it for recording video and data... at the end of each session we could review our performance on a laptop with data analysis software.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
anybody can tell that photo has been altered. You have placed your head on someone else's body. rotfl

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Cool! I was only able to drive the Evora IPS on the south part of the Hethel test track last May. Shawn was also my instructor. Then I got to ride in an Evora S with him driving in the wet. Fun! But I would have loved to drive the Evora S on the full course with an manual!

So what did you learn, that you didn't already know?

·
Illegal Alien
4,620 Posts
Cool! I was only able to drive the Evora IPS on the south part of the Hethel test track last May. Shawn was also my instructor. Then I got to ride in an Evora S with him driving in the wet. Fun! But I would have loved to drive the Evora S on the full course with an manual!

I hope even the best learn from more track time with a coach. Even pros across the sports field train with coachs.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lookin' good! So how would you sum up the Evora on the track versus other cars you've driven?
The Evora obviously feels heavier... with Shawn and myself in the car I'd guess it weighs close to twice as much as my 2-Eleven. It was also on street tires, which had been recently tortured on the skid pad :D. And the track was wet most of the day. When you put that all together, it meant that I had to slow down my inputs quite a bit (steering and braking), and after 4-5 laps the brakes and tires would start to go away. The clutch/gearbox combo takes a while to get used to... you really have to press the clutch to the floor to get it to disengage, and you have to be slow and deliberate with gear changes. The engine feels much stronger than the NA Evora, and the car pulls hard in 4th gear right to the redline at 128mph (if you watch carefully in the video I'd just hid the rev limiter before braking for the chicane).

It's hard to say how much the wear and tear of being a full-time school car has on the components; I've driven Mulholland Motorsports' track-prepped Evora: the brakes were phenomenal, and the clutch/gearbox felt more responsive.

Nevertheless, it's a very fun car to drive on the track... the sessions seemed to end far too quickly.

I hope even the best learn from more track time with a coach. Even pros across the sports field train with coaches.
+1

Shawn is an excellent instructor... he didn't bother trying to teach me what I already know... what he was able to point out immediately was that I'm a much smoother driver when there aren't any cars around... as soon as I see another car I start to get aggressive and imprecise. He also helped me recalibrate my technique to the heavier Evora... so I could run fast laps without overusing the brakes and tires.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Nice! I liked Shawn as an instructor as well. Very calm, didn't say much. Showed me the line, and basically said "Nice Driving" at the end.

Of course I didn't have as much time in the Evora as you did, I was only allowed maybe 10 laps in the damp. And I didn't go into it thinking that I was going to thrash the car within an inch of it's life and I wasn't trying to impress him, so I think he respected that and just let me drive as fast as I wanted.

I do like that he let me pass the others (not at will) but as soon as the other instructor gave the signal. I ended up lapping every one about 4 times.

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Honey, would you like to take a vacation in Great Britain???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts