The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cheers cheers cheers lads,

Creating this thread to document an (apparently common) shift/clutch/gear issue that the earlier models have. Opinions welcome.

-Bought Evora in TX yesterday, my cunning plan to drive back to orange county w/out paying transportation costs.
-Drove 750 miles straight (temps ranged from 85 to 65). Whoops.
-Drove into first gas station, car wouldn't physically shift into gear. Oh so naively attributed this to a fluke - willed it out of my consciousness.
-Drove into second gas station, had to coast car into parking spot. Stubborn knob wouldn't shift into any gear, it seemed decidedly comfortable remaining in neutral.
-Parked, I was unable to shift through gears. But when I turned the car off (with clutch engaged) occasionally able to shift through gears.
-Under the pale midnight moon, while sobbing quietly alone in my car in the middle of no where, I fruitlessly tried to shift through gears, engine and wrench lights eventually both turned on, to my delight.
-This morning clutch pedal is completely engaged (maybe a few inches of leeway).
-Getting it shipped back to A1 in California to diagnose.

Been sleuthing through threads and it seems all too typical this will need a $9k+ clutch replacement my dear Watson. Thought I was being cute buying a sports car with Toyota parts.

Car has 30k miles (2011). Thank god for Bitcoin but I'm not completely decided I'll keep the car so if people want to shoot me offers I'm all ears.

Will continue to document...
Im in the dallas area with my evora. We have two local shops here and one in Austin that are licensed lotus repair amd sales shops..never had this issue. I have a 2013 though

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Forgot to update this thread!

Yup, master clutch fixed the issue. This community is insane.

On a sad note, I plan on selling the car, so if anyone is interested, let me know (35k miles, I bought for 40k).
The car is amazing, actually even better than I was hoping. I'm not happy about this but I have an investment opportunity (even though I know these cars are appreciating!) however, will be downgrading. 😢
If everything goes to plan though I'll be back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forgot to update this thread!

Yup, master clutch fixed the issue. This community is insane.

On a sad note, I plan on selling the car, so if anyone is interested, let me know (35k miles, I bought for 40k).
The car is amazing, actually even better than I was hoping. I'm not happy about this but I have an investment opportunity (even though I know these cars are appreciating!) however, will be downgrading. 😢
If everything goes to plan though I'll be back.

View attachment 1289206
Hey ptykozoon, are you still planning on selling? I might be interested, Im from orange county.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought 2010 Evora, which had a new clutch/flywheel, and bearing at 17,000 miles. Drove from Dallas to Kansas City, lost clutch (foot to floorboard) at 200 miles outside temp was 95F. Stopped for gas open "frunk" over engine let it sit for 15-20 mins. The Clutch worked okay, back on road again, started to lose the clutch again, it started to ran cooled down to 75F clutch came back. Car drives okay with 75-80 F temp. Basically fluid is boiling at these high ambients as it is next to the exhaust manifold. I'm changing to the new Motul 600, gatting some heat shield/fire wrap for the complete clutch line on underside. May cut undertray near the slave cylinder to allow more airflow around the exhaust which is very close to the clutch line. I will also look into BOE who make a cooling tray for the underside, along with their newer Master cylinder. Other than that car is great

21 - 28 of 28 Posts