The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently received a nice puncture in my sidewall. I was hoping I only needed to change the one rear tire with the puncture as I just bought these tires last fall. I'm showing right about 5/32nds on the tire that is ok. Of course no one does tire shaving around me anymore. Will one new tire be ok, or should I purchase 2?

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
1,110 Posts
I would say replace in pairs, but keep the non-punctured tire. My reasoning is: if you replace just the one, you’ll end up replacing both when your current tire wears out, so one tire will be thrown away with some tread left. If you put your non-punctured tire on the shelf, it’ll be a spare if you puncture a tire again in the next few years. Plus, this way the tires will have the same heat cycling, same diameter, same manufacturing age. But this is all assuming price is no object and supply isn’t an issue.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had an out of round rear tire replaced. The Evora had only about 1500 miles on it but despite that I now experience steering torque because of that small difference in wear. Also different batches of tire could have variations in grip. Replace both and keep the good one for temporary emergency replacement.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,638 Posts
Several posts around regarding single change or different front/rear tires. Both situations left the Evora twitchy or floaty at speed.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
replace 2 as the 5/32nds one is almost done anyway. Keep as a spare in case Murphy's law strikes twice.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I had an out of round rear tire replaced. The Evora had only about 1500 miles on it but despite that I now experience steering torque because of that small difference in wear. Also different batches of tire could have variations in grip. Replace both and keep the good one for temporary emergency replacement.
That sounds more like a bad belt. Try reversing rotation if you can. 1/32nd will not cause torque issues IMHO.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Had nothing against your post. You have a bad tire sir. 1/32nd does not cause a pull. You have belt issue IMO. It could easily be the new tire......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts