The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see what you guys thought?

I currently own a 2013 Lotus Evora NA but I was thinking of buying a low mileage (7800 miles) 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider. I'm buying it from a car guy that has some done some upgrades exhaust, suspension and really takes care of his vehicles.

Does anybody have any experience with a 4C or own one? I figured the ride won't be as good as the Evora but I thought it be fun to drive for a year or two.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Evora 6MT
27 Posts
I had a 4C for a long weekend and drove it extensively in different conditions - city driving, open roads, rush hour traffic, empty highways, running errands, cruising, etc. It was a ton of fun and a novel experience, but I think the car is overall too compromised as an only car, and at that point of compromise I'd want something with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had a 4C for a long weekend and drove it extensively in different conditions - city driving, open roads, rush hour traffic, empty highways, running errands, cruising, etc. It was a ton of fun and a novel experience, but I think the car is overall too compromised as an only car, and at that point of compromise I'd want something with a manual transmission.
I had the same experience with a long rental and test driven 4C. Better than Elise/Exige in several ways, but it felt confused in mission in a way the Elise/Evora duo aren't. Didn't tear up any canyon roads, though. Either way, you win.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
28 Posts
I skipped on the 4C because Alfa for whatever reason doesn't offer it with a manual transmission. To me, that's a huge drawback, but I understand some prefer the paddles these days. I've heard that the handling can get sketchy at times, and isn't as refined as an Elise or Evora. The styling and exhaust however are top shelf. In terms of reliability, I'd be scared of giving up a Japanese engine for an Italian one.

I think the Evora and 4C are two very different cars, and really it comes down to which kind of car you like better - a larger car with more power for straightaways, or a little roadster for the backroads.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I spent an afternoon with the 4C. My takeaways beyond the death grip on the steering wheel which I suppose you get use to is the that the sounds are just borderline too much. Between the exhaust, turbo, and engine it has to be among the loudest cars available. It seems when using the paddles outside of Dynamic mode, the car will go back into Auto. Storage space makes the Evora seem utilitarian. I am still kind of hot for one just because I'll be looking at it a lot more than driving it and it's sure a looker. The light weight gives a dimension to the experience other cars don't offer.

For sheer performance, the Evora is a different league. Still would love a 4C spider though

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
822 Posts
I skipped on the 4C because Alfa for whatever reason doesn't offer it with a manual transmission. To me, that's a huge drawback, but I understand some prefer the paddles these days. I've heard that the handling can get sketchy at times, and isn't as refined as an Elise or Evora. The styling and exhaust however are top shelf. In terms of reliability, I'd be scared of giving up a Japanese engine for an Italian one.

I think the Evora and 4C are two very different cars, and really it comes down to which kind of car you like better - a larger car with more power for straightaways, or a little roadster for the backroads.
The Evora is definitely not made for straightaways. Also the Evora isn't that much bigger.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
28 Posts
Wow, that side-by-side is way closer than I thought. There's a 700 lb difference between the two, so the 4C will definitely at least feel smaller.

I think I should have used "GT car" instead of "straightaway car." The 4C will be a much harder daily compared to the Evora

·
Registered
567 Posts
Don't forget the tub bolt torquing every 12K miles! Granted it doesn't sound like a big cost, but depending on how many miles you plan to put on it, and the distance to a shop that will service it, could be annoying.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The 4C is fine if you think you can live with something even more impractical than an Evora. I own a supercharged Elise and a mildly modded up 4C (caster blocks, ECU upgrade, exhaust/intake, wider tires).

The Evora actually doesn't make my list since I'm only able to have 2 exotics in the garage and I'd prefer the lighter cars. Still, I would not daily drive the 4C. For such duty I'd feel far more comfortable relying on an N/A S1 Evora. My NC turbo Miatas handle that DD duty just fine.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The Evora is definitely not made for straightaways. Also the Evora isn't that much bigger.
Wow, after seeing this picture it changed my perception of the 4C. I though it was about the size of the Elige or just a little bigger. I probably would never buy a 4C now. It amazed how much interior space the Evora has comparing to all other high performance sport cars.

·
Premium Member
9,479 Posts
I'd only get a 4C someday cuz I love Alfas, but you see few on track cuz without the caster blocks etc ZALA has done It gets downright scary above 120mph. Makes an Elise feel solid like my GTS in comparison

Reactions: brightoncorgi

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 4C spider for a long weekend and loved every minute of it while I was up in the mountains but as soon as I got into the city and had to crawl or even cruise along with traffic it became obvious that for a daily driver (which is what I was thinking of at the time) it would be really irritating to drive. I loved the exposed carbon tub, the paddle shifters didn't bother me at all and egress / ingress wasn't too bad for me. The sounds the engine makes right behind you are hard to ignore - it was novel at first hearing all the mechanisms and do-dads clattering away but after a 100 miles of highway commuting it lost it's luster.

That said - I still lust after one but I'd have to be in a different place both physically and financially to justify another tiny car purchase and I don't love it enough to sell off anything I currently have to make room for it. I think the Evora is a car that's likely more reliable, pretty good looking (although it doesn't seem to get the attention the 4C does) & likely a better all-around daily or semi-daily driven car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I own an Evora GT as well as a 2017 Alfa 4C coupe. Those are the two cars I really wanted after messing around with all sorts of other vehicles. The Alfa is a work of art, plain and simple. It is similar to an Elise, but not as raw, and it is more powerful. Does it steer like a Lotus? No. It sort of has a mind of its own on the road, and at slower speeds, is downright disagreeable. Tight turns at high speed is where it shines, but it still lacks the immersive road feel of a Lotus. That does not matter much when you look at that amazing carbon tub and hear the sound from the stock Alfa track exhaust which has no actual muffler in it. It satisfies many of my needs in a vehicle, and I do not regret owning it in the slightest. It is destined to be a classic, and it was a car that Alfa could not produce at a profit with all the Ferrari quality features at such a low price, so it is a good investment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts