The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community

It’s been sometime .. after taking a few years off for reasons beyond my control :) I am ready to look into 2+2 mid engine sports car market which narrows it down to the I8 or the Evora ?

Anyone owned the two and can give a overview / preference?

I understand the rear seats are a tiny bit bigger in the i8 ..

Having a hard time deciding here .. ?

·
Registered
632 Posts
The rear "seats" in the 2+2 Evora are useless. Not saying that should keep you from buying one, but if you're asking because you are thinking of putting somebody with legs in the back seat... don't.

Don't know much about the i8 other than prices have come down considerably. I for one would never want to own a European limited production/exotic hybrid drivetrain car out of warranty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear "seats" in the 2+2 Evora are useless. Not saying that should keep you from buying one, but if you're asking because you are thinking of putting somebody with legs in the back seat... don't.

Don't know much about the i8 other than prices have come down considerably. I for one would never want to own a European limited production/exotic hybrid drivetrain car out of warranty.
Well the intention is to use the back seats for young kids - I know a number of people who have had no issues transporting kids in the back of the Evora .. I8 also doable although they have bucket seats rather than a bench

The drop in price of the i8’s is attractive - I agree with you however I would not consider owning one without warranty and extend it each year

The warranty on the battery components is 8 years from new.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Evora rear seats fine for small kids (and a small wife on short trips). i8 also has half the engine of an Evora

·
Registered
55 Posts
Back seats in the Evora are useless. I had an Audi TTS for my small kids. Now they drive on their own, so I’ve got the Evora now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like both cars very much and after driving a mid engine sports car most of my life it is the very best setup in my opinion

Geneva Motor Show followed by a test drive in both should resolve it ?

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
100 Posts
Just got an Evora a week ago for the same reason that they can fit my kids (ages 7 and 9). The 9 year old is tight but fits. You should also cross shop a 911 as it has back seats as well although I like the Evora's style better. Never seen an i8 in person but I'd suggest the Evora as I like the looks better and should be much more reasonable to maintain.

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
Just remember "Buy More Warranty"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got an Evora a week ago for the same reason that they can fit my kids (ages 7 and 9). The 9 year old is tight but fits. You should also cross shop a 911 as it has back seats as well although I like the Evora's style better. Never seen an i8 in person but I'd suggest the Evora as I like the looks better and should be much more reasonable to maintain.
Nice congrats on the purchase ? good to hear about your kids fitting

I used to have a 997 cab sold it a year ago - great car but every dog and it’s owner has one the Evora as well as the i8 offer exclusivity which I like

Before that I had a Evora S and Miss it have to say ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you mean BMW i8 its dog slow, wouldn't consider it a sports car, maybe a GT but without the power.
Well it’s still 4.2 secs 0-60 and it’s exotic looks can’t be argued - for me straight line performance is not the deal breaker it’s more how the car makes you feel behind the wheel I will test drive one for sure ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I test drove an i8 before I bought my second Evora 400. Yes, rear seats are usable and fit a full backwards facing child seat without an issue. You can't argue with a carbon tub and lambo doors.

Driving felt artificial and that may have a lot to do with the piped in engine sound. Exterior design felt busy and overstyled to me, like all modern BMWs. Overall, it felt half assed in all departments. Wasn't particularly luxurious, wasn't particularly fast, wasn't particularly good looking, wasn't a true hybrid (15 mile electric only range is a bit of a joke with real world being closer to 10). The car just felt a bit pointless and direction less.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I rented an i8 a few years ago. The back seats were OK for kids I believe. I absolutely loved both the interior and exterior styling. The doors were a crowd pleaser and I really liked them. The electric range, as mentioned, was very short so in my mind was a gimmick.

After driving it I thought that I wouldn't buy one but if I had won one in a lottery I wouldn't sell it.

I was happy going back to my Lotus Elise though. It is much more raw and exciting to drive. The i8 was more of a great fashion statement.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The i8 is a bit over the top stylistically; the Evora won't go out of style anytime soon. I certainly enjoy the Lotus vintage interior as well. The false exhaust note piped through the BMWs audio system was the deal breaker for me as it can't be deleted. True, the engine is smaller than my motorcycle's but let's not try to be something we're not. The biggest advantage to the i8 is it's price on the used market. A low mileage (under 10k) unit with remaining warranty can be found for half price whereas Evoras may be discounted closer to 30%. Also expect close to double the gas mileage with the Beemer with equivalent performance and briefly better out the gate with its all wheel drive.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I believe in "engagement" to make the decision... how do you feel in each car, what is the sound like?, what it the tactile sensation to steering feedback, etc. Just be sure to put the Evora in Sport Mode or your handicapping the experience by a large margin..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I test drove an i8 before I bought my second Evora 400. Yes, rear seats are usable and fit a full backwards facing child seat without an issue. You can't argue with a carbon tub and lambo doors.

Driving felt artificial and that may have a lot to do with the piped in engine sound. Exterior design felt busy and overstyled to me, like all modern BMWs. Overall, it felt half assed in all departments. Wasn't particularly luxurious, wasn't particularly fast, wasn't particularly good looking, wasn't a true hybrid (15 mile electric only range is a bit of a joke with real world being closer to 10). The car just felt a bit pointless and direction less.
Yeh I can see what you mean .. it may well go into that direction when I test drive the two .. thanks for your real world comparison ??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well it’s still 4.2 secs 0-60 and it’s exotic looks can’t be argued - for me straight line performance is not the deal breaker it’s more how the car makes you feel behind the wheel I will test drive one for sure ?
If you can get past the rear end looking like it's shitting out a 911 then I guess that's exotic.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts