The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a hot rod , and i'd like to know if the Evora chassis could be cut in half east to west and welded to get a 92inch wheelbase . probably down the middle where the side beams are parallel ( I think). Please comment any constructive ideas you may have

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Extending the rear subframe (which is just bolted on to the chassis behind the cabin) is usually how it is done on the Elise/Exige since there's already a separation designed there, and that same general substructure layout exists on the Evora. I don't know of anyone who has done that on an Evora, but you could probably learn a whole lot from the Elige projects and carry that forward.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Well, to start, the Evora has a wheelbase from the factory of 101.4"... so you have to shorten it to get to the desired 92".

Second, the S2, S3 Elise and S2 Exige have a wheelbase of 90.5''... the S3 Exige has a 93.3" - the "tub" on the S2 and S3, to my knowledge, are identical and the wheelbase extension is all in the rear subframe that bolts to the "tub". The Tesla Roadster has a wheelbase of 92.6" and uses the Elise tub as well.

A handful of folks have used the Elise/Exige tub as the basis of a custom project (I myself have one that I will be building on over the next several months as money allows - and looking to extend to 95"). Hennessy built the Venom's on an Elise and extended the wheelbase I think close to 15" and another guy in Sweden (?) put a BMW V10 in the back of his Exige and extended his wheelbase by about 10". Heck, Lotus even built at least 2 Race cars - the Sports Exige and the Exige 300rr with extended wheelbases for the V6 engines.

A few links about some of the cars mentioned above:

Exige 300rr - Lotus Exige 300RR group GT2 (2005) - Racing Cars
Sport Exige - Lotus Sport Exige, Ready to Race
V10 Exige - (build thread) - https://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74693

1 - 3 of 3 Posts