2017 Evora 400
5,683 Posts
Cool car.

Nice power.

Ugly stripes.:(

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
bio-ethanol elise....electric elise...all we need is a fuel cell model now...

not crazy about the stripes, but I like the way the seats coordinate with the differing color stripes....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I wonder if it is easier or harder to get an alternative fuel/biofuel vehicle certified here than a vehicle with a new or modified (eg supercharged) engine....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I take exception to the statement that "ethanol produces more energy when it's burned than standard petrol". Methanol does, ethanol doesn't. Still, very cool.

·
Registered
529 Posts
ivan1 said:
I wonder if it is easier or harder to get an alternative fuel/biofuel vehicle certified here than a vehicle with a new or modified (eg supercharged) engine....
Ditto.

Leave it to our government to make it so difficult to get certified that we don't see this, or any other, "alternative" fueled cars or trucks.... :sheep:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I like the stripes, its not something you see everyday and I think it works.

It's actually pretty easy to get alot more power out of any boosted engine using E85 (Ethanol) as it has such a high octane rating so you can crank up the boost futher without knocking. (detonation)

Its basically racing fuel and its cheaper then regular gas, can't wait till it becomes more available so the dependancy on Sunoco 94 will end.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
P90Puma said:
It's actually pretty easy to get alot more power out of any boosted engine using E85 (Ethanol) as it has such a high octane rating so you can crank up the boost futher without knocking. (detonation)
Yup, that's how you make more power with alcohol - higher CR or more boost and advance. The advantage to alcohol is the resistance to detonation and the higher latent heat of vaporization that allows you to run higher CR's. The way they made more power was to increase the boost (and possibly the CR but they didn't really need to since they could increase the boost) and optimize the advance and fuel curves.

BTW, the explanation in that article is the most convoluted I've seen.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
I'll take one, but it needs the GT3 roof scoop.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That "T" handle is likely for built-in fire supression system, which is required by some race sanctioning bodies.

·
Registered
107 Posts
abefroeman said:
no need, ethanol burns much cooler than gasoline. I would venture a guess that the intake air is at or below ambient.
Well, there can be only one answer to that – cool! :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
From the article:
"Buyers are only going to opt for the new fuel, sold as E85 (85 percent ethanol, 15 percent petrol), if it's both readily available and substantially cheaper than conventional petrol or diesel. For this to happen the government needs to truly commit to the fuel and encourage the creation of a bio-ethanol fuel station network."

I know this is written to a British audience, but why would the government need to intervene? I suspect that government regulations prohibit/ban any fuels other than the ones favored by bureacrats. Let the lobbying begin!

Ethanol cheaper, hahahaha.... Let me ask you that again when demand out paces supplies (price parity is achieved). This notion of bio-this and bio-that is loaded with presuppositions. I like "progress" but only when it is understood objectively.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I don't know guys, I kinda like the whole color scheme. At first glance you're like ugh but, after looking at the interior, you get used to it, at least for me. I give it a :up::up:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts