The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Lotus Exige 270E Tri-Fuel Could See Production

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  ads_green 
#1 ·

When Lotus first showed the Exige 270E Tri-Fuel at the Geneva Auto Show back in 2008 it was seen more as an engineering project than a concept car. That, however, may change.

Recently the vehicle was put on display at the Shanghai Auto Show in China and interest was so high China's Lotus distributor is pushing for a production model. Youngman Auto, a joint-venture between Lotus and the Chinese government (that's how they do things in China), has now made an official request to Lotus in the U.K. to build a consumer version of the sports car.

As the name suggest, the Tri-Fuel Exige can operate on any one of three energy sources: gasoline, bioethanol and methanol. It is, therefore, a three-way FlexFuel vehicle.

And that "green" engineering doesn't come as the cost of performance either. Quite the opposite actually. The Exige 270E Tri-Fuel (again, as the name suggests), makes 270hp from a supercharged Toyota-sourced 1.8-liter four-cylinder. Lotus estimates the car can hit 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and tops out at 158 mph.

Lotus corporate has not made any claims about the production request but we'll be sure to bring you news as it develops.

More: Lotus Exige 270E Tri-Fuel Could See Production on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#5 ·
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eE0F81BXZgI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eE0F81BXZgI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

It's always fun to see this again. :drool:

Maybe Lotus will also supply a conversion kit...I can dream, can't I?

Tom

#9 ·
If Lotus is planning on building this, I don't see it coming as an 09. I would expect 2009 production to end, as it typically does, somewhere around June. Usually dealers place orders 2 months ahead of that (which has already passed). So if Lotus does build this it will be a 2010 with 2010 bodywork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.