The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
So I have been scouring the internets and forums for these airvents shown in Garw.co Lotus. I need these to live. Our stock airvents just lack zazz. I know about the mini/alpha vents that we can put on with the silver ring. But I was hoping someone knows about these ones specifically and to help save some of my sanity being I can't find anything. The closest thing I could find was a Audi A3 vent. Any help would be awesome!
Also, long time lurker, first time poster. Never had the need till now to post because you guys are awesome and cover everything I need.

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe they came from a Ferrari F12... can't confirm though
They look similar for sure. But do you think they are the same diameter? Maybe we can get some guys on the Ferrari forum to take some measurements for us?! I would hope the plumbing would be simple to fab up or even be a direct swap.....I know nothing is impossible. Especially now with 3D printing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They look nothing like ferrari air vents. They look more like GLA, CLA air vents
I wonder if my local Mercedes Dealership would let sit in one and not mind if I bust out my micrometer....or pulling on their vents. Lol. I'll check ebay and see if I can get something on the cheap for an R&D thing. Because if no one is sure then maybe it could be a cool write up. At least it'll keep me busy. I get bored sometimes.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
I think that Exige belongs to GF Williams. I follow him on Instagram. His Instagram name is hell.slow

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mystery Solved thanks to rb26dett! Depicted in the picture on Garw's website is Mercedes GLA/CLA vents. But then he later changed them out to Ferrari F12 vents painted red on the interior. Looks great and really brings out the interior. I think I'm going to start this project with a single GLA/CLA vent and see what tear down and build up is required to get the plumbing right and I'll jump back in with an update! Thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Mystery Solved thanks to rb26dett! Depicted in the picture on Garw's website is Mercedes GLA/CLA vents. But then he later changed them out to Ferrari F12 vents painted red on the interior. Looks great and really brings out the interior. I think I'm going to start this project with a single GLA/CLA vent and see what tear down and build up is required to get the plumbing right and I'll jump back in with an update! Thanks for the help :)
No prob mate! Good luck with the project. Our stock vents do look cheap and lame. Please let us know how hard it is to convert. I may do the same.

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
My reaction to stuff such as these is the same as a couple of decades ago, when ppl put iridescent wipers on their cars:

Why call attention to anything that isn't attractive????? (Better if the visual just matches background, i.e. black plastic.)

Plus, I don't want to introduce any chance for glare.

Just my opinion.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My reaction to stuff such as these is the same as a couple of decades ago, when ppl put iridescent wipers on their cars:

Why call attention to anything that isn't attractive????? (Better if the visual just matches background, i.e. black plastic.)

Plus, I don't want to introduce any chance for glare.

Just my opinion.....
I see your point. And that's how I've felt for awhile. But since I've owned the thing for the last 12ish years, I'm tired of staring at the basic B vents and stock interior. Time for some change and to zazz it up. I'd even settle for skull tire caps and fake bullet holes from auto zone at this point, if you know what I'm saying.

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
you are funny!! Thx.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,250 Posts
I'd even settle for fake bullet holes from auto zone at this point, if you know what I'm saying.
LOL, I am not a fan of non-functional items like vents, etc. May I suggest real bullet holes? It might change up the normal conversations at the gas pump about who makes Lotus.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,250 Posts
LOL, I am not a fan of non-functional items like vents, etc.
Just to clarify, I was referring to exterior vents, not the interior ones you are working on.

---Thread Hijack---

How do you edit your own Post now?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Post updated: So I took the plunge and ordered $120 of vents from the GLA/CLA C117. I also pulled the passenger stock vent out. Vents came in the mail about 3 days ago. I dissasembled them both to find out how it would be possible to graft it into our dash.

A little bit about our stock vents: The cover diameter as you see it on the dash is 73.97 (Call it 74mm/2.9in) the shaft diameter is 63.19mm/2.488in and the overall length without the cover (loovers that direct the air flow) is 72.13mm/2.879in (call it 2.9in).

The CLA vents are TFB (To fu*king big). The outer part that you see is 74.90mm. Its almost spherical around and it will not fit in behind the dash panel (even if you rounded the hole) as there is not enough room. The length of the housing not including the cover is 33.55mm. So you would have to fab up a shaft, which is what I thought I'd have to do anyway using my 3d printer. But the main bottle neck that I have seen, now that I have the parts in hand, is that you need to pull the dash apart, cut, bondo, etc, then coat in Alcantara to make it pretty. So as I sit in my car staring at the problem, I decided to do a search on line for universal vents more to the size of what we have and came across this website. Restomods.com The Diablo Mini vents are 3.0in outter diameter (0.1in bigger than ours) and 2.5in shaft diameter (0.02in bigger than ours) I emailed them to get the specs for the overall length, but I think this is a better solution that cutting up the dash. I wanted to get the dash coated in Alcantara anyways. But the money and time I'd spend on that I could just buy the vents. Yeah, they are a bit pricey, but as far as a direct pop and swap option, or at least close to it, I'd take the gamble. They also make some kick ass A/C control knobs that I think we can make work in our Exige/Elise 's. Let me know what you guys think. They have all sorts of styles. I believe the Mini series is the only one that would fit in our cars. I'm going to take the plunge again and buy one and report back.

I need a girlfriend ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Tech_7276 thank you for your $ sacrifice and info. As far as the restomod vents a member has already tried them in their car.

MCD007 Thanks for the link. I must have missed it in my vent search of the forum. For anyone still interested, I'm going to go with a different style than what Varun916 did. As soon as I get it all together I'll take some overall pix and some detailed install shots, as that other thread seems to be lacking on that part. But it does seem straight forward.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts