The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
Me and my mechanic hooked up a preassure gauge into the fuel line, and took the car for a drive, while checking it, and according to the mechanic it is all good, it also deliveres the right amount of fuel that is should. He also have had his diagnostic tool with him in the car, while we where out driving, but the only codes we get is "P0171 powertrain too lean bank 1, and P0172 powertrain to rich bank 1"

When i accelerate between 2000-4500rpm, it feels like the car is drowning in fuel, but if i let off, just slightly it comes bac to life, and when it passes 4500rpm it is fine. It is the same int the 2000-4500rpm range, either i am doing 30kp/h in 2. gear or 130kp/h in 6. gear.
My point with the OBD2 reader is to watch the behavior of the sensors, not to look at codes. You need further diagnostics and the beauty of OBD2 is that you watch how the car is working.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Have you pulled the harness and verified that each pin has continuity? Do you have a pin that you can use to check all the ECU connector pins are tight on both sides and making connection? Start with the injector and coils as these are easy to do on the car.

Are your injector leads grounded on the intake?

Is the ground to the head clean and tight (take it apart and check to be sure, once the screw was tight against the bottom of the hole, and it was just slightly touching the wire, but it wasn't good enough and it wouldn't run right, another time it was too dirty!)

Is the supercharger bypass solenoid sticking? I am thinking that if it stays open as you are getting to where the engine expects boost it could act bad till it gets closed.

Are your coils shorting to the head? (look for burn marks on the plastic).

Throw the battery from another car in it and see if it still happens? (low likelyhood but these things are sensitive to batteries for whatever reason)

I've also had mysterious electrical issues a few times in my car, and one ended up requiring a harness swap. Unfortunately I guess that's expensive for you with duty etc? Seems unlikely that it's the ECU IMO.

Have you checked the cams visually?

Have you checked the wires to the O2 sensors, they can go bad being near the exhaust manifold, again check continuity back to the ECU harness.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My point with the OBD2 reader is to watch the behavior of the sensors, not to look at codes. You need further diagnostics and the beauty of OBD2 is that you watch how the car is working.
All the realtime info that we could get while out driving with the OBD diagnostics was as it should be.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A little update. I have now swapped the injectors (got the old ones tested, and 3 of them where not good) the car is now running much better, but it still sometimes have some small "hesitations" on low rpm (under 3000) Any suggestions to what can cause this?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
After driving for a while, the car now seems to be all good, looks like it just needed a bit of driving to "adapt" to the new injectors.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I'm happy that the issue has been resolved. Nothing is worse than a car mystery. My biggest mystery with my car was a shaky acceleration issue that I thought was engine related but turned out to be worn out shocks.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts