The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idle Issue
^^ Link to video above

This is a 2006 Exige that just recently added a mp62 supercharger with plenty of other goodies (BOE torque 300 tune).

Issue: RPMs bip from 900 rpm to 1700 rpm once the car is warm whenever the car is put into idle (clutch pushed in or out of gear). It does the identical rpm blip every single time normally it's hunting for rpm three time in a row for three sets then it sits at 900 rpm like nothing happened at all. It does not stall out.It does not do this at start up or after sitting.

What I've tried: I've torn everything apart except the intake manifold (changing out the gasket) to try to resolve this idle problem. I've cleaned the MAF sensor. I've sprayed the entire god damn car multiple times with starter fluid and never got the RPM to bip like it has a leak somewhere. I have a boost sensor attached to the BOE IC and it does not lose boost at WOT. IAT sensor shows active and working on OBD2.

Any other suggestions?

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Have you driven it so that ecu could "learn" the car yet? Have you contacted Andrew at BoE yet for suggestions?

Reactions: BobaFettm

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you driven it so that ecu could "learn" the car yet? Have you contacted Andrew at BoE yet for suggestions?
I have driven about 200+ miles on the car so far. It feels GREAT except for this idle issue... I have reached out to BOE but recently it can take a few contacts and a sprinkle of time to get a reply. Was hoping for any insight from other members. (I've been trying all the other recommended idle search results)

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Different setup but when I had my vacuum leak it was three broken intake manifold bolt and studs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Different setup but when I had my vacuum leak it was three broken intake manifold bolt and studs.
same issue? Slight rpm bumps but no boost leak during throttle? That’s the part that gets me is boost seems constant and safe.

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
It would have minor hunting but my issue was shrill whistle that I finally traced down to broken TB bracket and torque from the SC snapped the fasteners. I had posted on here tried many things including proper vacuum terminations not bolts tape etc. Propane, starter fluid nothing could replicate the sound until while videoing I was grabbing and moving everything thru the engine bay to record db levels and I was finally able to grab TB and reproduce it. Are you sure you didn't check "auto blip" on the ECU Tune sheet lol Hopefully you'll have success getting thru to Andrew.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Could also be from the tune. I've had tunes where idle was strong to some that would stall. No difference in the car mechanically.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weirdest thing I swear is that when I've been on hills incline or decline that the car immediately goes to idle properly... I'm going to test this over the weekend by finding a hill to test that on just to remove it as suspect. That's not super easy in metro detroit being as flat as we are.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

anyone know if the TB should wiggle this much?

couple emails later still nothing back from BOE.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I can see daylight sitting at “default” which I’m assuming isn’t good ;)

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Dirty in there Bob. I will fire mine up if it stops raining and video the hunting mine does. Is the butterfly wiggling separate from the shaft or is that shaft play we hear in the video? If you grab the TB with it running and try and wiggle does the rpm vary?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is default and you can see at the top the screen does not touch the mechanism.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is mean pushing the plate closed manually to get it to touch... if I release the gears release and move it back to the original photo.

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Maybe the guys on this thread might be able to shed some light on this.
Throttle control issues... And more!
At Least MWR has lower cost option than Lotus

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Are you getting any codes?

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
When you are wiggling in the utube video does the shaft move when making that noise? If you grab the gear on that shaft does it have play relative to the housing? I would open butterfly and clean better especially where butterfly is supposed to be against the walls of TB. Looks like Monday before I take car out and video my hunting especially when coming to a light and just coasting to it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you are wiggling in the utube video does the shaft move when making that noise? If you grab the gear on that shaft does it have play relative to the housing? I would open butterfly and clean better especially where butterfly is supposed to be against the walls of TB. Looks like Monday before I take car out and video my hunting especially when coming to a light and just coasting to it.
Thanks for all of your assistance!!! I cleaned everything up, used an electrical tool I had to push the wiring back into their pin seats, and adjusted the idle screws slightly.

Put everything together and immediately after warming up saw a difference! ODB2 was always showing idle at 940-970 before I’d start hunting all over... now it’s showing 1075-1150ish idle all the time with NO hunting or trying to find what RPM it should be sitting at.

All fixed for now!! :) good thing cuz I was about to drill out the set screws and replace them with newer ones but wanted to bolt it all back together first.

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Great news Bob! Glad you got it going! Some spray no ox in the future on those contacts might be good preventative measure. It had looked like to me that the butterfly and shaft was binding due to build up of crap and that's why it wasn't coming back to the stop.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed the trap I think was catching quite a bit along the sides. I’ll keep an eye on it every year just in case it begins to build up.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Thanks for all of your assistance!!! I cleaned everything up, used an electrical tool I had to push the wiring back into their pin seats, and adjusted the idle screws slightly.

Put everything together and immediately after warming up saw a difference! ODB2 was always showing idle at 940-970 before I’d start hunting all over... now it’s showing 1075-1150ish idle all the time with NO hunting or trying to find what RPM it should be sitting at.

All fixed for now!! :) good thing cuz I was about to drill out the set screws and replace them with newer ones but wanted to bolt it all back together first.
Not trying to create havoc but I don't think your idling 1075-1150ish is considered normal?
Was that your idle before?
It sounds like you manually turned in the idle screw a wee bit and now it's running above the idle circuit? Just throwing it out there.
The hunting is an indication of a lean condition. Could be a slight vacuum leak and/or the MAF is seeing a different expected value.
It's been said that our MAF's are very finicky and all don't behave the same. Most difficult to tune out. Some are luckier than others.
Just sayin, food for thought

1 - 20 of 21 Posts