The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new Lotus Exige S 240 and noticed that when I perform fast gear changes over high RPM's the clutch "slips" the gear change before locking in.

I was told by the dealer that the Exige S has a protection mechanism on the ECU computer to restrict the driver from performing hard gear changes releasing the clutch too fast.*

I would appreciate if anyone can let me know if this is *protection feature and were can I read more about it (it's not listed on the manual).*

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
protection for drivetrain

With the introduction of launch control their is a lets call it a flow restrictor in the clutch fluid line to keep the clutch from engaging too fast on a dead stop start ie Launch it is possible for you to notice some delay in engaugement if you are popiing the clutch during a fast shift Hope this helps you understand what you are experiencing

Mike Larson
Las Vegas Lotus

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
what I have experienced is when engine/tranny is cold the point of clutch in to shift is delayed as it doesn't engage as quickly. After at running temp it is fine. Sometimes the 2nd to 3rd is delayed but not as much as it gets more miles on the car. .

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
when you shift fast...do you just let go of the clutch or kinda ease off the clutch fast.

Basically how smooth are your shifting when your doing fast shifts?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Wow, Lotus is starting to do what BMW does to their manual cars. On a BMW they call the the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve), what it does is when the clutch is let out, hydraulic fluid is restricted. However when the clutch is disengaged there is no restriction. BMW claims with the CDV it allows the driver drive smoother.

On the BMW it was extremely easy to remove, just follow the clutch line and you will see an adapter all you have to do is remove that adapter. If you want take a pic of the clutch line leading to the slave cylinder i can tell you if there is anything of that nature if the design is similar to BMW.

Info on CDV: CDV

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Wow, Lotus is starting to do what BMW does to their manual cars. On a BMW they call the the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve), what it does is when the clutch is let out, hydraulic fluid is restricted. However when the clutch is disengaged there is no restriction. BMW claims with the CDV it allows the driver drive smoother.

On the BMW it was extremely easy to remove, just follow the clutch line and you will see an adapter all you have to do is remove that adapter. If you want take a pic of the clutch line leading to the slave cylinder i can tell you if there is anything of that nature if the design is similar to BMW.

its part of their launch control system clutch dampener so if you dont have launch control you dont have one.

I haven't finished breakin so I havent fooled around with fast shifts just yet but I will let you guys know if I experience any abnormalities

·
Registered
6,601 Posts

+1

Removed the valve from my BMW, good as new.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thats sounds about right. Especially when the tranny is still not warmed up. A problem I still experience from time to time and a few others who addressed this problem in the past.

weird my 07 S220 is the complete opposite, i can chage gears pretty darn fast and when i do the clutch doesnt slip but the gear seems to grind:shrug:...sometimes

·
Registered
912 Posts
weird my 07 S220 is the complete opposite, i can chage gears pretty darn fast and when i do the clutch doesnt slip but the gear seems to grind:shrug:...sometimes
This happens to me too. My best guess is that under hard acceleration the engine is twisting and is pulling against the shifter linkages. This prevents the full engagement of the gear, the best solution i would think is to either fill your motor mounts, use the inserts, or install the FF engine dampener.

I am going the filling the mounts with urethane.

Reactions: hvymtlmcn

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
This happens to me too. My best guess is that under hard acceleration the engine is twisting and is pulling against the shifter linkages. This prevents the full engagement of the gear, the best solution i would think is to either fill your motor mounts, use the inserts, or install the FF engine dampener.

I am going the filling the mounts with urethane.
i am looking at 2 different engine mount solutions, and after i get to test both i will make my decision on what to use...and hopefully would end the problem:)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Exisge S 40, no problems shifting

I have no problems doing quick shifts with my Exige S 240. There are significant improvements with the shift linkage (cables) on the new 2008 cars. The shift is not as vague and there is less free play. I noticed no restriction in the clutch movement, even when doing quick shifts.

The S 240 has an upgrade clutch so the feel will be different from other Exige or Elise cars.

There is an effect I have noticed in other much older cars, when attempting to shift a high revolutions. The force on the clutch is greater at high rpm and the splines bind. While pressing on the clutch pedal generates a high amount of force to separate the plates, the pressure plate springs need to supply the clamping force. The clamping force is much less and so the binding of the splines may restrict the clutch movement. It may feel like the clutch is slipping for an instant. Try your shifts at a lower rpm, but still full throttle immediately after engagement, and see if you feel the same response.

Michael

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone found a solution to this? I have installed Sector111 engine mounts gear re-enforcer and new clutch, with no change to the lag...?

What to do next?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Really it just seems like a one or two second delay from point of engagment to letting out the clutch. The sensation to me almost feels like a rubbery / spongey spot on let out with delay to next gear. Like it's trying to catch up to my input. It's not a clutch slipping feeling at all.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Has anyone found a solution to this? I have installed Sector111 engine mounts gear re-enforcer and new clutch, with no change to the lag...?

What to do next?
you can remove the bellows.i thought i read it was up near the mastercyl.thats if your car is out of warranty.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm an S240 owner and I've never experienced what you're talking about. If anything I get a very solid engagement when shifting fast rather than a delay in the clutch engagement. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts