The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say I were to buy a 2007 Lotus Exige S as a sort of, weekend car. How risky is it to drive around with the top off? Would I be able to drive to the beach and back, a total of 4 or so hours driving time without it being much of a risk? Odds are I would be wanting to drive with the top off most of the time, because I would only be taking it out in the sunshine on my days off... but I don't really like the look of the Elise, I want the Exige, supercharged :( I'm not really interested in the SC Elise either..

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Let's say I were to buy a 2007 Lotus Exige S as a sort of, weekend car. How risky is it to drive around with the top off? Would I be able to drive to the beach and back, a total of 4 or so hours driving time without it being much of a risk? Odds are I would be wanting to drive with the top off most of the time, because I would only be taking it out in the sunshine on my days off... but I don't really like the look of the Elise, I want the Exige, supercharged :( I'm not really interested in the SC Elise either..
Buy a soft top and you're covered. I'm more an AC guy myself so I leave the hard top on.

San

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can take the top off no problem, it is just a couple bolts that hold it on. They are a shallow head torques bolt that is specially machined, I have heard that the heads readily strip out and looking at mine, someone has had them in and out a few times. There is a thread here in the parts for sale for some allen head bolts that are machined to take their place. Those should not strip out at all, I would recommend that you get those bolts if you plan on having the top off and on a lot. I personally also like having the top on at all times. Not really for the a/c, just because i like it being there. Also like the other guy said, a soft top is a good idea and you can fit it in the trunk. If you do plan on taking the car to the beach, figure out something so you do not end up with a trunk full of sand as well

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was under the impression that taking the roof off results in less air getting to the engine, possibly causing problems somewhere along the way. Is this incorrect?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I was under the impression that taking the roof off results in less air getting to the engine, possibly causing problems somewhere along the way. Is this incorrect?
That is kind of incorrect. There's an opening more rearward from the roof that is actually fairly restrictive. Most of us increase the size of that opening to help increase tha mount of airflow to the IC. I myself went with a bigger intercooler and a 3-chamber IC shroud to use the side scoops to cool two thirds of the IC while the roof scoop cools only the center section.

I've run without my top a few times and noticed no appreciable difference in performance, but that wasn't with the stock IC and shroud.

San

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes, it's incorrect. The roof scoop is not an air intake. It is solely for the purpose of directing air to cool the intercooler. Unless you are on a race track, you will not not affect your performance in any measureable way.

All the air that goes into your engine goes through the air filter box. The air intake for the filter box is behind the mesh between the driver's side door and your left wheel.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
You can take it off! You just might not get your full performance with it off. Which means if you are tracking it you want the roof. Otherwise you will be just fine!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I really enjoy open top motoring in my Exige. You will need to drill two holes in the body above the seats to add the soft top support bars (excellent thread on LotusTalk how - easy job) if you don't want the top sagging. I've also read recommendations to protect the rear glass inside the vehicle and seen several options for doing so. Getting in/out of the vehicle is MUCH easier with the roof removed and the soft top is quick and easy to maneuver. Used soft tops are usually available in the $450-600 range. Go for it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts