The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a new 2010 Lotus Exige S260 Sport last Saturday and have been babying the throttle as recommended for the first 600 miles. Dealer had to throw a new battery in it already (figures from what I read and it sitting). Now this is where I run into a problem, the car now has 330 miles on it (yes I'm enjoying the heck out of it on nice roads) and when I try to rev past 6000rpm in first or second gear it retards the timing like crazy. The car literally wont go over 6,000rpms no matter how gentle throttle input. There is no check engine light and all seems to be running rather normal. It feels like traction control is going insane basically its being restricted. I even turned it off, same experience, what gives? why does it keep cutting fuel?
I even tried from a roll, gently rolling into the throttle in third gear and I got it to about 6,300 after major hesitation and it throwing a fit.
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem?
The car was in Southern California and is currently being trucked up to Washington. I called the Lotus dealer here already because the selling dealer seemed to give me the vibe they don't know this car really well. Basically they couldn't tell me if it was normal or not and were going to call lotus to see if there is some limiter for early break in. The Lotus dealer in WA says its not normal. Cars under warranty of course being brand new, so I'm bringing it in when it arrives.
Just not a great experience so far...
:shrug:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It is not normal. This can happen when the car is cold until oil temp warms up but once that happens, you shouldn't experience this. There are some ECU changes put into place for 2010 centered around CO2 and such - but none would produce the effect you describe.

By the way, with only 25 2010 260's, you are not likely to find an answer specific to 260's from a general forum like this or with many dealers who have not even seen one. Most owners are on the 260 Registry.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
Snake,

Congrats on the S260!

From reading your post, the 330miles were in So Cal? And I take it that the So Cal dealer could not diagnose the throttle issue?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Welcome to the club. I'm sure you'll figure it out and have miles of smiles in the future. Make sure to sign the Exige Registry post.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Have you made sure the water temp is registering yet? In my 06, and in every model as I understand it you have to let the engine come to temp before the limited is removed. Are you seeing a temp reading on the dash before putting your foot into it?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Snake,

Congrats on the S260!

From reading your post, the 330miles were in So Cal? And I take it that the So Cal dealer could not diagnose the throttle issue?
I really hadn't given them (the dealer in California) time to look at it since I got it other than a phone call, to be fair to them. They had test driven the vehicle before I picked it up and determine a battery failure (even got interstate battery with same part number rushed delivered so I could drive it). Everything else checked out okay.
Wish I had a copy of that repair order, I like to keep copies of them all.
I don't think any of us really gave it any throttle at that point. :bow:
I'm absolutely in love with the cars handling manners.
I made sure the car was up to temperature before attempting anything and I'm aware of the cool engine limiter, which is what it feels like is constantly on and never goes away.

I just hope its not something that will keep my car down for a long period, sigh.
Collector car or not, I believe all cars should be driven and enjoyed along with being properly maintained.

Plus the little kid in me just wants to keep driving it! I'm in love with a car.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is not normal. This can happen when the car is cold until oil temp warms up but once that happens, you shouldn't experience this. There are some ECU changes put into place for 2010 centered around CO2 and such - but none would produce the effect you describe.

By the way, with only 25 2010 260's, you are not likely to find an answer specific to 260's from a general forum like this or with many dealers who have not even seen one. Most owners are on the 260 Registry.
got a link to the registry =) ?

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
Check the fuses for EFI and eng mgmt. can't remember which #s.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No it wasn't phased out - it should have a PC 680 not the Interstate as stock equipment. Even the 2011 Sport/Cup 260's have the PC 680.
correct.
The dealer installed an interstate battery with same part number (its a motorcycle battery PC680 -same thing-). An original battery would have to come from lotus in england and car would not have been operational. The proper thing to do would be to give me interstate and order a OEM battery and install it when it arrives. However, I bet the interstate battery is better made lol.
This is something I will address on my visit to park place for other concern above, especially because warranty work is involved.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
330 miles and revving past 6,000 rpm in first and second gear. Is that within break-in spec? I re-read a bunch of posts from this board, and most - not all -seem to suggest first 600 miles under 6,000, varying speed, and then occasional second-cam events until 1,000 miles. But the 260 is a unique car, and may have different recommendations.

So I just got a new 2010 Lotus Exige S260 Sport last Saturday and have been babying the throttle as recommended for the first 600 miles. Dealer had to throw a new battery in it already (figures from what I read and it sitting). Now this is where I run into a problem, the car now has 330 miles on it (yes I'm enjoying the heck out of it on nice roads) and when I try to rev past 6000rpm in first or second gear it retards the timing like crazy. The car literally wont go over 6,000rpms no matter how gentle throttle input. There is no check engine light and all seems to be running rather normal. It feels like traction control is going insane basically its being restricted. I even turned it off, same experience, what gives? why does it keep cutting fuel?
I even tried from a roll, gently rolling into the throttle in third gear and I got it to about 6,300 after major hesitation and it throwing a fit.
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem?
The car was in Southern California and is currently being trucked up to Washington. I called the Lotus dealer here already because the selling dealer seemed to give me the vibe they don't know this car really well. Basically they couldn't tell me if it was normal or not and were going to call lotus to see if there is some limiter for early break in. The Lotus dealer in WA says its not normal. Cars under warranty of course being brand new, so I'm bringing it in when it arrives.
Just not a great experience so far...
:shrug:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
330 miles and revving past 6,000 rpm in first and second gear. Is that within break-in spec? I re-read a bunch of posts from this board, and most - not all -seem to suggest first 600 miles under 6,000, varying speed, and then occasional second-cam events until 1,000 miles. But the 260 is a unique car, and may have different recommendations.
I've read the entire owners guide. This also isnt my first new car =/
Oh btw its not just 6 sometimes cuts out around 5300 rpm - around 5-6 constantly. Im not even on the throttle.

Anyways, Im just taking it in to see whats up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.