The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That car is not a Fittipaldi car, it is an Andretti car.

It was originally Type numbered 68 and served as the prototype Lotus F5000, but for some reason when Lotus continued development they renumbered the F5000 cars 70 and that chassis was renumbered as well.

THe car has been for sale for some time. THe ANdretti history is cool, but he did not extensively drive it. THe seller is asking approximately $100k MORE than the market value of the car.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
kyle, were inboard dampers not allowed in that spec? everything else looks pretty advanced construction wise - except no rockers. just curious - don't know much about these.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I am not sure if the F500 rules specified outboard dampers, but I do recall that when the designers made it they were pilfering parts from the F1 designs( likely the 72) and when Chapman saw it he made them take out the F1 parts and redesign it. SO (speculation on my part) I suspect the deign was less sophisticated because Chapmand didn't want it to be as sophisticated as an F1. It may have also been done that way to keep it less expensive and easier for customers to set up and work on.

Here are a couple of brief write ups I did for another site:

Type 68 1969

While FA/F5000 had been around for a few years and plenty of Lotus took part - old F1 and Indy cars converted for that formula - Lotus finally set about producing a car purpose made for F5000. And as if the Lotus numbering system did not already have enough inconsistancies, the labeling of the Type 68 continued the trend. The 68 was the prototype for the yet to be introduced Type 70.

Designed by Martin Wade, it was an aluminum monocoque and was powered by Boss 302 (4945cc) V8 mated to an Hewland LG600 gearbox.

It was sold to Koshland Competition for Mario Andretti to drive. First appearance came at Sebring where Andretti put it on pole and was comfortably in the lead when the engine let go. It was subsequently driven by George Follmer who took it to a number of wins.

Type 70 1970

Type 70 for some reason was allocated to the subsequent versions of Lotus' F5000 chassis the prototype of which was dubbed Type 68. The general design is the same, the 68 was designed specifically for the Boss 302, while Lotus intended the 70 to accept the Chevy engine which was more successful, none the less many 70's were fitted with Ford engines. Car were sold to customers in the US, UK, and Australia, the most successful being George Follmer, but names like Dick Smothers (that's right the comedian), Bill Brack, Chris Amon, and Dave Walker drove them. The Type 70 was also refined into 70B form.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
^^ you da' man!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts