The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus Corps track day at Blackhawk Farms Raceway outside Rockton, Illinois on May 19th, 2008. Photos courtesy of RacyTracy.

Photo 1 - Dasmoofler and Moto44
Photo 2 - Ren Man in the lead
Photo 3 - Non-LotusTalk member
Photo 4 - RacyTracy's 600 h.p. Porsche being driven by JimK

Attachments

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Thanks for the post. Many years ago I lived a few miles from Blackhawk Farms and have many fond memories from there. I see they now have a tire wall around the track. They use to just rely on the trees to stop you :eek: (that and a little Armco in a few places). They've probably cut a lot of the trees down now, as well. Good times.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I remember running karts there years ago, losing it in the carrousel and sliding sideways between two trees. It is hard to believe that situation existed.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've participated in this event for three years running now. Of course, I ran with my Elise the first two years. This is what happens to track junkies who sell their Lotus. :)

Trees are still obstacles which need to be avoided in a couple common runoff places.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be fair, if it weren't for my superior blocking skills, off-road short cuts, and reckless disregard for rules against bumping, I never could have taken you. :D

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
What kind of hillbilly track lets Jeeps drive?-poke-

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I honestly grew up 15 minutes from Blackhawk Farms and helped my dad train bird dogs on that land before it was a track. Who's to say I don't belong? :D
Hey, at least you can say you have a full roll-cage. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Cool event! You know it's funny, when we got our elise I wanted to get personal tags "GOKART" but they had been taken. A year later my husband and I pull up to a stoplight and a jeep wrangler in front of us had the plates! GOKART! So hey, at least you're living up to it!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Moto, the cool thing about the Jeep is that you don't even need to turn for the corners, you can just drive over/through any obstacles. If you upgrade to a Rubicon edition you'll own them all at the track. :)

Noble

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ran with an SRT-8 (with track/performance mods) at Roebling back in May ---- Respect!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clearly whoever said it's better to drive a slow vehicle fast than a fast vehicle slow never drove a Jeep Wrangler. I dare say I would rather have been driving the Lamborghini at half speed.

Even so, driving the Jeep on the track was a trip. My tires were squealing, I felt like rollover was possible in a couple corners, yet I never felt like I was going fast. :)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
So, did you take any short cuts along the track? :D

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Just look at the intensity in the driver's eyes!!!

:shift:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I swear Todd, everytime I see this thread I crack up. It takes some skillz to take a Wrangler to a track. :bow:

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It takes some skillz to take a Wrangler to a track. :bow:
I'm not so sure. After this session, I asked John (dasmoofler) is he could hear my tires squealing and tell that I was pushing it. He said, "You're kidding?!!" From his perspective, we were going so slow he couldn't conceive that this was challenging. :)

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Yeah, but from the picture it looks like your ahead. :D

Hell, just keeping the thing upright would be a challenge for me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts