The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
I completed the Bronze School yesterday, along with a factory tour and visit to Classic Team Lotus. Great fun... fifteen students, in Elise S cars and a Ford Focus (for comparisson sake) It was an all-day afair, with some practical classroom time and track time in the cars. The Elise S is pretty neat, too bad it is not sold in the US. It's quick, but a single cam Toyota engine, so only about 130bhp. I went for a ride with one of the instructors and he was driving almost twice as fast as I could through chicanes and corners. So, the car was plenty fast for me!

The factory is very cool. Parts laid out neatly, lots of cars. Lotus is mainly building the Evora and some Elise versions, though they are closed for the summer holiday season. There were quite alot of Telsa roadsters about as well! In fact, a whole bunch. The Tesla looks almost indentical to an Elise during assembly, until the black box is installed where the engine normally goes, and the body panels are installed.

The new Evora looks great, even better in some of the other colors, like a metallic blue, pearl white, etc. Lotus is still building the Europa S as well, though it uses completely different body panels and chassic parts.

In all, the day was very cool, a dream come true. Highly recommended if one happens to be in the UK already, getting to the factory by train was not very difficult, even with a National Rail Strike.

No photos of the factory, sadly, we weren't allowed to bring in any kind of camera equipment.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sounds awesome. And every time I wish I had more power, I remind myself that better drivers have driven my car much faster on the same course. Gotta build the skills.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Did they have any left hand drive cars?

That was the biggest problem I had when I took a Lotus driver training class oh so many years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts