The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard the Lotus factory will be closed in August. I guess the real ramp up of Elise production will not occur until September.

? Maybe they will be able to produce the initial 1 demo + 9 cars per dealer beforehand with rest of production in the fall :(

:confused:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yes the production line will be on holiday in August. And the real ramp up will happen after that, though they are trying to shovel cars out now.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I recall back to when it was September 2003. But that was very preliminary.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Are you sure that it is closed for all of August? I think it may be one week...I will be there for AME August the 15th:D

Yes our tours run on wednesdays only, therefore the dates available in August would be 11th/18th/25th (factory shutdown in the first week)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Not being an entire month would make more sense to me. I have only heard it referred to by Lotus as "when we shut down for Holiday in August" but that does mean the whole month.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I want a job where I can have the whole month of August off. :(

Bob

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
rtking said:
I want a job where I can have the whole month of August off. :(
Become a school teacher. Then you can get most of June, July, and August off...

Of course then you won't be able to afford an Elise...:huh:

Me? I'm not a teacher, and still can't really afford an Elise. But I'm getting one anyway...:crazyeyes

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
When I used to live in Spain companies will let you decide what half month you wanted for vacation and then they'll choose the next or previous half for you.

So if I decided from Aug 1st - 15th, I could get all August or July 16th - Aug 15th. Of course if everybody will choose the same half month they will 'convince' people to change their plans.

I don't know if all companies in Europe operate like that.

The bottom line is, even if they have people to leave the plant open, they probably don't have enougth of them to keep the plant productive at the same level by any means.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So is it better to get a car made just before they head out on vacation, or to wait until they're all back working again?

Gotta like they typical 6 weeks vacation time in Europe. Clearly evidence of an advanced civilization.

There was a time when car buyers checked to see if they got a Friday afternoon or Monday AM - built car. Don't know if the defects were ever clearly correlated to production time.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Jay,
the elise takes longer than 24 hours to make it from one end of the line to the other, so depending on how you look at it, none/all of the cars are friday/monday cars.

I don't know where this figure of 6 week average came from. In the UK it's an average of 21 days per year. The people who take the most time off for vacation are the germans, averaging just over 30 days. The french take fewer holidays but only work a 35 hour week to start with, and then they pretty much all go on holiday at the same time (well, a thrid of them at a time do).

Craigy (25 days holiday of my choice plus 6 other days my employer sets aside... yes IBM's good to work for!)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Since I've worked for the state for a long time, I get 4 weeks per year vacation plus 13 holidays. Plus we can accrue vacation time, so I've got 8 weeks stored up.

No, I'm not taking a month off when my car gets here. :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
<--- NO VACATION. NO HOLIDAYS. NO SICK LEAVE. But I get preferred parking as the Employee of the Month.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
C'mon, I can't be the only guy stashing away a week of vacation time just for Delivery?! From the time I get The Call from the dealer, the only thing you'll be able to reach is voicemail.

Think I could get Paternity leave?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
yeah but make REAL sure the car's exhaust has had a long time to cool down before performing the prerequisite activities

1 - 19 of 19 Posts