The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's confirmed. I will tour the factory on October 27th.

Are there any questions you guys want me to ask, or if there is a shop there is there any requests for things to bring back?

Has anyone ever been to the factory? If so, what should I expect?

I wonder if they'll let me drive another lotus? Tehehehe. Just counting the days....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ask to see a Fed version...then take lotsa pics (sure...that's going to happen..).

But do bring a camera!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ask about customization abilities or limited run items. Once they are to full production I'm guessing things won't be how they have been in the past so for any of us that have specific requests we can get an idea if they can be met. Look for painted calipers, I want to be able to specify color if I could.

Oh yeah and if they have any: "Another forum member went on a factory tour and all I got was this damn t-shirt" t-shirts I want one:D .

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
MW,
I toured back in 93, it's changed a bit since then but still very small I'm going to fly over Mar/April hopefully see the US cars being done. You won't be allowed a camera into the factory at all. They get wierd if you stand outside the gates and take pics.

You should look into doing the Scare Yourself Sensible deal Lotus offers (only once a month). For 99 UK poounds you get hot laps with a factory test driver around Hethel track, then I think you get to drive around Hethel track.

Contact person at the factory is Lisa Hartgrove.

[email protected]

Chris

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I was there in July.

The tour guide wouldn't give up any info on the Fed car.

It's a good tour and I got to meet some of the key people behind the Elise.

They were building the S2.5 at the time as well as 135R's on the Elise line - the GM line was also running. They were also building some of the last Espirits - very cool.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zvezdah1 said:
MW,
I toured back in 93, it's changed a bit since then but still very small I'm going to fly over Mar/April hopefully see the US cars being done. You won't be allowed a camera into the factory at all. They get wierd if you stand outside the gates and take pics.

You should look into doing the Scare Yourself Sensible deal Lotus offers (only once a month). For 99 UK poounds you get hot laps with a factory test driver around Hethel track, then I think you get to drive around Hethel track.

Contact person at the factory is Lisa Hartgrove.

[email protected]

Chris
OMG...that would be worth every penny. I'll see what I can arrange :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
This month's Scare Yourself Sensible day is the 18th. I am planning on being there. I've been emailing with Lisa the last few days and just have to stay up late so I can call give her my credit card info to book my spot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You'll definitely not be allowed to take a camera into Hethel, they're really strict about security for obvious reasons.

There is a shop for Lotus merchandise in the main reception area, and the Motorsport building has loads of things for sale (much cooler logo and it's all in black, silver and yellow).

Painted calipers - these were an option on UK cars so no reason why you won't be able to specify it.

Most of the time you'll be asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement saying that you won't discuss anything you might see on track or in the factory once you've left, to be honest it's not as if they have lots of secret projects on display anyhow!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If you see a couple of cans of Ice Blue paint lying around, feel free to grab them!

Enjoy yourself. If you're in London, you might want to check out Harrods department store, especially the food courts in the basement.

·
Registered
296 Posts
moose said:
Painted calipers - these were an option on UK cars so no reason why you won't be able to specify it.
Thanks Moose, you have just added another variable to my color selection dilemma.

p.s. no word on my T-shirt though? j/k

·
Registered
74 Posts
Um...thinking about it "painted calipers" meant they were painted black or something, but hey it can't be THAT hard to do in them in any colour you want.

Keychains won't cost any more than $20, I think my Motorsport one retails for about 8 quid or so.

I'll work on that t-shirt ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah painted calipers meant they were black. Its not a hard job though to get done for you once you own the car, just need the heat resistant calliper paint.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was looking for your basic options red, black, silver, gold. Something other than plain cast metal calipers. You're right it is not hard to do yourself I painted my current ones red but would have liked to get a powdercoated finish and being my only form of transportation it's hard to send away your calipers for a week and have to do a complete disassemble. The conveinence of having factory colored could sway my decision on color scheme,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Probably easiest to email or phone them and ask if they'll do it. No need to mention that it's a US car or anything in case they come up with "we havent made any decisions" answers, just say if's for an S2.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I sympathise, I want yellow callipers, but not enough to pay for them. If I thought the Elise was the ultimate car ever and that I was going to keep it forever, I'd spend loads on tat, but frankly I'm not that blinkered :)

I guess if I was richer I'd spend more on tat too. I just know I could spend 15k or the Elise without trying. Thing is I'd probably be bored of it immediately having done so, seems to be what always happens when I see people do the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts