The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Italian cars and motorcycles. But I also love the Lotus lightweight philosophy.

When I read this, I began to drool. :drool:

Sign me up!

Abarth ‘Elise’ turns up the heat | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

Abarth ‘Elise’ turns up the heat
Fiat brand teams up with Lotus for stunner, with turbo engine to deliver pace to match looks.
Auto Express Car ReviewsText: Conor Mills / Photos: Larson05th August 2008It’s another surprise from Fiat’s Abarth tuning arm! The sporty brand has come to a special agreement with Lotus, allowing it to use the next-generation Elise to underpin a standalone sports car – and this is what it could look like.

So far, few details have been confirmed about the roadster, but sources insist engineers at Lotus’ base in Hethel, Norfolk, and Abarth’s HQ in Turin, Italy, are already working hard on the project. Abarth boss Luca de Meo has admitted the company currently does not possess the resources to build the car, although our sources insist the maker has cleverly got around that through its deal with Lotus.

The new chassis will be a smaller version of the modular, bonded aluminium set-up that debuted on the British brand’s Evora 2+2 recently.

The lightweight two-seater will have a very different shape to the other cars in the Abarth line-up. However, the familiar scorpion badge, plus a full bodykit and distinctive white and red paintjob, will ensure the newcomer is instantly identifiable. Striking alloy wheels complete the package.

Under the bonnet, the car is expected to use one of Fiat’s next-generation turbocharged petrol engines, delivering in excess of 200bhp. This should propel the lightweight 900kg package from 0-60mph in less than five seconds.

Lotus has announced its next Elise will be launched in 2010, and the new Abarth model is expected to appear in showrooms here shortly after that – possibly as early as 2011.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here. Ignoring the fact that, to me at least, it looks rather ugly (yes, I know that's subjective), what performance improvement will this offer over an Elise or Exige? Or is it just so Fiat can sell a Lotus as their own brand :shrug:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Perfect, a car with bad electrics that leaks oil. :D

Seriously, I have a soft spot in my heart for Fiats (X1/9s!) and think the concept is kinda cool.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Is that the actual design? Or another photoshop?
I remember the photoshop of the Evora a while back... looked nothing like the unveiled design.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Abarth should be bringing these over. The roadster, coupe and 500 all look great. Alfa should bring it's version of the 500 also. The Alfa MiTo. :up:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
People

Dont you think Lotus selling chassis to so many companies dilutes the lotus brand, and style.

Also, it sucks that every lotus chassis rebuilt by another company has more horsepower!!!!

AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!! :mad::sad:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Interesting if they are using the Evora chassis. Shouldn't it be longer and heavier then 900kg.

That last picture looks like its front engined.

Kitty to answer your question, the chassis sold to other companies are not identical. As their designers want more comfort and different body styles whatever the case maybe. So compromises and design changes must be made. Im sure Lotus is contracted to design bonded extruded aluminum rails as a chassis, as no other company has had the experience and/or research to do so. Since they already have two working chassis, they are just modifying the designs to accept what the manufacture wants.

My point is no matter how they tweak or change the chassis, they do not offer the sort of no compromise performance and experience. We have bought the original designs as they were intended. So IMHO no matter how hard other companies try they will not get a chassis that is solely designed for its form.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Dont you think Lotus selling chassis to so many companies dilutes the lotus brand, and style.

Also, it sucks that every lotus chassis rebuilt by another company has more horsepower!!!!

AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!! :mad::sad:
:wallbang:
I wish more people understood Lotus Engineering.
They've been providing stuff to other companies long before our Elise's even existed. It's primarily what they do. It's also why they turned a profit this year even with car sales being down. That is quite a feat for an "automotive" company in this economy.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Frustrated guys,

Every time Lotus does this they get a bag of money, and the other guy makes a car that doesn't compete for one reason or another. Were Ford GT owners on the fence between the GT and a Lotus??? No way.

Most Tesla owners understand and appreciate Lotus, but would have never been in the market for one.

·
Premium Member
11,893 Posts
:wallbang:
I wish more people understood Lotus Engineering.
They've been providing stuff to other companies long before our Elise's even existed. It's primarily what they do. It's also why they turned a profit this year even with car sales being down. That is quite a feat for an "automotive" company in this economy.
Frustrated guys,

Every time Lotus does this they get a bag of money, and the other guy makes a car that doesn't compete for one reason or another. Were Ford GT owners on the fence between the GT and a Lotus??? No way.

Most Tesla owners understand and appreciate Lotus, but would have never been in the market for one.

Yes, we want them to stay in business and make money, so they stick around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is well reported that the Arbarth will be based on the series 3 (S3) elise chassis. More than likely Fiat will be paying the development costs of the new shape chassis saving Lotus a bucket load of money in the process.

This is exactly what happened when Vauxhall / General Motors wanted to develop their own VX220. Hence we got the series 2 Elise :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting if they are using the Evora chassis. Shouldn't it be longer and heavier then 900kg.
I'm not sure which chassis the Abarth will use (I've heard conflicting reports) but Lotus have made no secret of their desire to sell their new VVA (Versatile Vehicle Architecture) to anyone who'll buy it, - and there are a fair number of companies that wish to do so.

While the Evora is built on one version of the modular VVA, this chassis technology allows vehicles to be virtually any size and configuration a customer may want. Apparently the next Elise will also use it.

Sources within Lotus have been quoted as saying that if the Elise were built on the VVA, it would be 10% lighter, 10% stiffer and have 20% more interior room.

Sounds good to me!

Given that the 2zz motor is at the end of its life-cycle, I wonder what engine the new Elise will use?

Can anyone think of a candidate? Perhaps they just have a stock-pile of 2ZZs?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm not sure which chassis the Abarth will use (I've heard conflicting reports) but Lotus have made no secret of their desire to sell their new VVA (Versatile Vehicle Architecture) to anyone who'll buy it, - and there are a fair number of companies that wish to do so.

While the Evora is built on one version of the modular VVA, this chassis technology allows vehicles to be virtually any size and configuration a customer may want. Apparently the next Elise will also use it.

Sources within Lotus have been quoted as saying that if the Elise were built on the VVA, it would be 10% lighter, 10% stiffer and have 20% more interior room.

Sounds good to me!

Given that the 2zz motor is at the end of its life-cycle, I wonder what engine the new Elise will use?

Can anyone think of a candidate? Perhaps they just have a stock-pile of 2ZZs?
I suspect that the new elise will be a v6. With the direction of manufacture production of v8 and 10's i don't think lotus will have a choice. It is very likely they will stay with toyota since the evora got the v6 from them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I suspect that the new elise will be a v6. With the direction of manufacture production of v8 and 10's i don't think lotus will have a choice. It is very likely they will stay with toyota since the evora got the v6 from them.
It would be so sick if standard Elise's have v6's.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I think saying Lotus must use a V6 for the next Elise is just wishful thinking. Their history clearly shows a love of 4-cyl engines, and I don't see any reason why that would change. Their history also shows them to be free of apparent ties to any one company as an engine supplier (they've used Ford, GM, Toyota, their own, et. al.) I'd guess the use of a Toyota V6 in the Evora is simply a coincidence. The engineers only seem concerned with a good HP/weight ratio. That was why the 2ZZ motor was chosen -- not because it was a Toyota (there's a graph somewhere showing engine weight-to-output with the 2ZZ being one of very few engines in the sweet spot.)

I think we'll see a continued use of a 4-cyl engine coupled with forced induction to comply with the Lotus design philosophy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts