The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a smog shop in the SF North Bay (Marin County) that will smog my Exige S without damaging it? I know they will require a dyno and I don't want someone at a gas station smog shop to learn how to dyno Lotus on my dime.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Anyone know of a smog shop in the SF North Bay (Marin County) that will smog my Exige S without damaging it? I know they will require a dyno and I don't want someone at a gas station smog shop to learn how to dyno Lotus on my dime.
The smog test on rollers does not resemble a chassis dyno test in any way except that the rear wheels are required to roll under load. The only issue should be tying the car down adequately. You might check with Rob Dietsch (DietschWerks) to see what he recommends.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The smog test on rollers does not resemble a chassis dyno test in any way except that the rear wheels are required to roll under load. The only issue should be tying the car down adequately. You might check with Rob Dietsch (DietschWerks) to see what he recommends.
Ya, I understand its not a dyno pull, but you got it right...the issue of tying the car down is what I'm worried about.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a smog shop I work with that does all my Exotics - Rob.
Thanks for the replies...but I'm not sure I want to drive 140 round trip for a smog =(. I'll definitely give you a call soon if I can't find a shop that gives me a warm fuzzy around here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ya, I understand its not a dyno pull, but you got it right...the issue of tying the car down is what I'm worried about.
Don't worry. The smog shops I've had my other cars smogged at do not tie the car down.-eek--eek-

I don't think they put enough of a load on the car for it to be able to jump out of the rollers, or at least that is the hope...

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone needs a smog shop that can handle exotics in the Bay Area (North Bay) give me a PM, I located one through a friend. They are expensive (of course), but they are definitely not a gas station grease monkey jumping into your nice car to smog it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mr. Know, any luck finding a Lotus friendly smog shop in Marin? My 06 Exige will need it done soon, just wondering if you found a place.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,502 Posts
I go to this place in Burlingame. AA+ Smog

You can tell by the photos on his site that he does a lot of exotics. :) Great guy. Tell him Vince with the Lotus sent you.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
They usually don't tie down a RWD car, only place tire blocks on the front .

I'm a smog tech too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You may be over-thinking this one. Took mine to a smog shop down the street from my work. I stood there and watched him do it...no tie downs, no issues.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Took my 05 Elise to a local Smog shop. Got tested without being tied down. $50 and 15-20 minutes done. Also found out that the two other Elise in the neighborhood also went to the same shop. Just make sure the smog shop you use, uses floor level rollers and not the ones that are elevated ramp type.
Good Luck Everyone!

·
Registered
760 Posts

You can tell by the photos on his site that he does a lot of exotics. :) Great guy. Tell him Vince with the Lotus sent you.
How much did that run you? Burlingame is a perfect location for me.

Took my 05 Elise to a local Smog shop. Got tested without being tied down. $50 and 15-20 minutes done. Also found out that the two other Elise in the neighborhood also went to the same shop. Just make sure the smog shop you use, uses floor level rollers and not the ones that are elevated ramp type.
Good Luck Everyone!
Where is your location?

This thread couldn't have been resurrected at a more perfect time. Just picked one up over the weekend and was thinking where I should smog it for transfer of title. :shift:

I know it's not a Murcielago, but it's nice to hear places that have done it for other members with no problems.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm here in the East Bay. It's El Sobrante Smog Test Only Center. 5050 Appian Way, El Sobrante, Ca 94803. And if your bored you can visit Mike the Lotus Elite guy's garage about 3 blocks away. Good Luck!!!! The Dead Duck Quack!! Quack!!

·
Registered
760 Posts

The place in Burlingame was like $45 I think, but that's just from memory.
Thanks! Went here yesterday for my smog and he was very fast (less than 10-12 minutes) and careful. He has a board on his driveway so the front clam had about exactly an inch of clearance! I paid $58 out the door if anyone is wondering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts